Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help a brother out.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wannateener
My dad and i are trying to put together a driver on a budget.
A 15 year old's budget.
Looking for all the normal stuff as well as a used engine/trans. combo. Plz see my dads ad in the classifieds under street legal go-kart
Thank you for all the help driving.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=47914

Dylan
street legal go-kart
icon_bump.gif
Come on I know lots of you guys have swapped motors and trannys for something better.
This is for a 15 yr old motivated kid trying to put together a roller.
Help a kid have the only Porsche at his high school.
Clean out your closets and garage corners!
Miss Mari
rick 918-S
Make a list of everything your missing and post it. Lots of guys have usable stuff laying around.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 14 2006, 06:10 AM)
Make a list of everything your missing and post it. Lots of guys have usable stuff laying around.

agree.gif

Just sent you son a PM asking for that exact same thing.
drewvw
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Mar 14 2006, 06:05 AM)
icon_bump.gif
Come on I know lots of you guys have swapped motors and trannys for something better.
This is for a 15 yr old motivated kid trying to put together a roller.
Help a kid have the only Porsche at his high school.
Clean out your closets and garage corners!
Miss Mari

I'm new to the group and don't have much for spare parts but I will help if I can.

I know exactly what you mean about being the only kid in school with a porsche. I started rebuilding my Karmann Ghia when I was 14 to accomplish a similar goal.

First day of school junior year, I rolled in my shiny red ghia convertible. One of the best days of my life....

post a list!
boxstr
I have some Big Black Bumpers you can have for FREE. I also have a 1.8 and a trans. But they are in Oregon at CAMP 914. Come and get em.
CCLINFREEISAVERYGOODPRICE
Mueller
do you have a transmission yet?

I have a tailshifter that I'll give you for free.....most people don't like 'em, but hey, better than nothing smile.gif

wannateener
Thanks everyone for your help.
we should be picking up the roller in the next couple of days. My dad said everyone would help me out, and they did.
Once we get the car here we will have a better idea what we need and i will get back with everyone then.
My goal is to have a reliable driver that i can build from donated / used / last resort new parts for about $2000 dollars. I am not as concerned about cosmetics such as interior ect. but am focusing on reliability.
I think this could show how to use recycled and discarded parts to make a runing car for a resonable price.
Thanks again everybody for your offers of help. I will post pictures as soon as we get started.

Dylan smilie_pokal.gif

ps:
c-ya at the autocross driving.gif
grasshopper
jeez... im only 15 and no one ever gives me free stuff biggrin.gif what do you need??
rick 918-S
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 15 2006, 06:58 PM)
jeez... im only 15 and no one ever gives me free stuff biggrin.gif what do you need??

Did you post yer list? cool_shades.gif
street legal go-kart
Grasshopper,
You gots too many toys for a 15 y/o.

Serious,
Thank you every one who responded.
Big smiles on a teenagers face boldblue.gif
We hope to build a car for Dylan out of donated/used/recyled parts ect for about 2k.
Every teenagers dream.
We will get back to the parties involved by next week .
Thanks again,

JT
jd74914
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Mar 15 2006, 11:08 PM)
Grasshopper,
You gots too many toys for a 15 y/o.

Serious,
Thank you every one who responded.
Big smiles on a teenagers face boldblue.gif
We hope to build a car for Dylan out of donated/used/recyled parts ect for about 2k.
Every teenagers dream.
We will get back to the parties involved by next week .
Thanks again,

JT

Pefectly Doable, IMHO. I should be done with my car for just about 2K which includes a full restoration (the final cost comprised of the actual car's prices, an engine rebuild, new clutch, paint, and other stuff) biggrin.gif
LowGT
I have a drivers door (not sure of year) and 2 engine lids. Some random FI parts extra seats and sliders that need recovered.. lots of little stuff. A list would be good. wink.gif
street legal go-kart
Hey we got the car
wohooooooooooooo rocking nana.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif burnout.gif
Thank you Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!
The car was as discribed.
Another 914 saved from the sawzall
this is a roller that can be restored to useable condition with a minimum of work
my dad says that the only weilding that need to be done is to wield in a new battery tray and r/r the jack points on the longs.
Thanks Patick my dad says he made a mess and apologizes for the inconvienence

we need for a 74:

front bumper and rubber
rocker/long covers for both sides..... dont care steel or plastic
front turn signal lamp and fixtures, lenses
Interior light fixture
relay board
operating elect antenna or anything free
rear right side tail lense
914/1.7/1.8 plastic letters for rear.
rear lower valence
Engine/trans preferably in calif or ariz

We would be open to a front bumper airdam combo fiberglass or steel, prefer 916 style

We really appreciate all the support of the board, more pictures as we go along and probably more items we are looking for. Im trying to keep this restoration below $2,000 total including the car. Thanks for all your support. We have gotten several donation offers and are considering options. This is really cool.

Thanks again Dylan
LowGT
I might have the interior light, I'll have to look through my misc. box. Little things like that are what I have a lot of.
street legal go-kart
Interior light sounds good! Anything you have would be appreciated. Now if I can only figure out how to get pics to load and stay on when I add a reply i would be doing good. Dylan
grasshopper
I have a:
relay board
and a 914 plastic thing for the rear
PM me your address, and I'll get them in the mail. Good luck with your project smilie_pokal.gif
wannateener
Thanks Barry, just sent you a PM. YOur the best. DYlan
wannateener
Here is a pic from Day 1, when it just arrived. more photos to follow as the project goes on. Thanks everyone for your help!!!! cant wait to drive it. Dylan
grasshopper
cool, looks like you have a nice starting point. hopefully not too much rust.... i know there is some cool_shades.gif
ppickerell
My son said that the gas tank in the car was shot so he had already taken it out. Glad you guys are going to get her back on the road. I am trying to find out where the motor and trans from my red car are. That motor ran great when I had it pulled. Brad, do you know where the motor is? Rich B has amnesia.
wannateener
We are very lucky, The rust is very minor and not in places that matter in any way. Cant wait to start
wannateener
We cleaned the car out today geting ready to paint it. Hope to have it to the paint shop in 4 weeks. I still am looking for,

front bumper and rubber
Interior light fixture
rear lower valence

I would be open to a front bumper airdam combo fiberglass or steel, prefer 916 style

I want to thank everybody for there help can wait to get it running.

Dylan piratenanner.gif driving.gif
wannateener
HI Everyone, thanks to everyone's interest in helping out Im down to a few things only:
we need for a 74:

front bumper and rubber
Interior light fixture
rear lower valence

If you got anything cheap or free I would love to hear from you. I hope to grind the rust spots off in the next two weekends and get the car ready for paint. Your all the best! Thanks to those members who have been so kind. will post pics again when its further along. Dylan
Grimstead
I’m pretty sure I have an manual antenna that I’d be willing to donate, I’ll check my stash.

As for the interior light, just about any VW shop should have one pretty cheap.
wannateener
Thanks that would be great let me know if you do i will send you my address thanks again.

dylan
street legal go-kart
icon_bump.gif
wannateener
Thanks to Mueller, We just got home with the tranny he gave me and will probably make it as a side shifter. Thank you very much. Got to go work on the car tomorrow. driving.gif Dylan

914forme
I have a

rocker/long covers for both sides..... dont care steel or plastic Fiberglass you might have to repair them.
front turn signal lamp and fixtures, lenses 2 or just 1? I have them

rear right side tail lense - yep Might have a crack between hte joints fixable.

914/1.7/1.8 plastic letters for rear. Most likely have these.

Cover shipping from Dayton, Ohio they are yours.

PM me I can send pictures of the stuff so you know what you would be getting.

Take Care, Stephen
shaggy
dude dont bother running a rear valance

it is bad for aero dynamics and its easy to get around having one and still make it look nice

take the muffler bead blast it and ceramic paint coat it

dont have a bead blaster?
use sand paper

ceramic paint can be purchased at any good paint supplier in spray form
you spray it on let it dry to touch and cook it in a bbq for a few hours
(you may need to make a custom mount to hold it though)
i have many parts done like that and they look and hold up great

-shag
p.s
im the only person at my school to have a porsche
grasshopper
hey Dylan, sorry it took so long, but i sent the 914 emblem, the tail lense, and the relay board(dont know if you still needed it or not) out today.... I would have shipped it earlier, but I never got the time. Hope you can get it drivable soon smile.gif Your lucky... my dad would let me have the 914 for my first car, but my mom says NO, so that is the way it goes.... dry.gif
wannateener
Thanks Barry and Stephen, I just saw these posts. Went to Muellers saturday and got the tranny. What a great guy. and spent sunday sandblasting the car. What fun. Barry, you should get your mom to talk to mine, shes the one who said "go for it". my dad says "the racing heritage behind the 914 demands that they crash well" Mabe that will sell it for you. Dylan
wannateener
Got my permit yesterday and only missed 2 questions smilie_pokal.gif . spent time sandblasting last weekend and hope to get some more done and be ready for minor welding and then paint. Got a job at a local ski resort for the next few weekends and hope to be able to pay for that.

Im still looking for an engine and bottom seat cushions if anyone out there can help out. Thanks to those who have already im getting this going. mueba.gif Dylan
wannateener
Sandblasting fun
Eric_Shea

Should have if Billy-Bob didn't find his.

Should have...

I have some cool vinyl graphics that were done for me about 6 years ago. Still on the sheet. They are in 914 font and read:

914 GT

-and-

914 RS

Being vinyl you need only apply the parts you want (914) or all... free. If you consider this, you'll want to weld up the holes in the back now.
ppickerell
Dude,
Don't you have that car running yet! smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Graphics...

Let me know, otherwise they hit the classifieds.
street legal go-kart
Patrick, dang its only been a couple of weeks clap56.gif , Im trying dude. I got to go work now to pay for some of this stuff. It is all clean inside and most of the rust is off. I ordered a hellhole kit and will be welding that in next.

Eric, I will PM you,

thanks. Dylan
malaga_red75
im the only person at my school to have a porsche

-Me TOO, its awsome, and the ladies love it,

i am 16, and have been builidng up my car since 14,

They day i was able to drive, was the best day of my life!!!!, you will definiatly have fun with this one. I love driving it every minute!!!
Eric_Shea
Lens
Eric_Shea
Full size... I have left and right.
Eric_Shea
antenna...
Eric_Shea
Want'em?

Shipping Address?

Boxed and ready to go... wink.gif
Hoss
wannateener,

Sounds like you are making killer progress on your project.

Not to hijack your thread, but if you do not need the lenses that Eric offered, I could sure use them.

Keep up the great work and post a pic of the new tranny when you get a chance.

street legal go-kart
Eric,
I'm sending a pm for Dylan as he is working today.
Thanks again.

JT
wannateener
im on vacation and just saw all the messages. Thats a nice car you have malaga i hope my car comes out like that. We have alot of curvy roads up by us so it will be fun. cant wait till i drive it to school. driving.gif
we will be picking up a engine on my way back from vacation thanks to lagunero. w00t.gif we will be working on the car on monday and hopefully get new pictures out.

thanks again
Dylan
wannateener
Click to view attachmentThanks for the parts Eric!!!
Spent the day taking parts off the car getting it ready for paint and scrapped and cut rust out and cutting the old battery tray out. Its coming along. Getting ready to install the Engman hellhole kit. Thanks Engman for the help!!!!! Thanks Dylan
wannateener
That was supposed to be "Thanks for the parts Eric!!!" I think the sparks are getting to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.