Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber IDA's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
anyone run IDA's on their 914? I understand that these are race carbs, setup for full on or full off.

thanks,
david
914Timo
I use them.

But I have a six laugh.gif

I think you mean two barrel IDAs in four.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 10 2003, 04:23 AM)
anyone run IDA's on their 914? I understand that these are race carbs, setup for full on or full off.

racer types who are looking for peak HP tend to run "too-big" carbs with "too big" venturiis and that makes them very peaky and hard to modulate. sized and tuned properly they'd be okay.

what gives IDA's the reputation for being "racing carburators" is that they have no chokes which makes the engines hard to start cold. as a result they are also lighter and don't have extra parts to restrict airflow or fail at inopportune times...
URY914
I've got 44 IDA.

Paul
machina
paul,

are they (ida's) a pia for hot or cold start?

also, don't you have a 1.8 right now? 44's sound kinda big for that but then again I don't know what I'm talking about.

david
URY914
Never realized I shoud be having starting problems. Starts alright for me.
I've got the slip in big bore NPR p/c and I have big valves so I think I'm ok.
A lota of people run 40's on stock engines.

Paul
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 10 2003, 09:51 AM)
Never realized I shoud be having starting problems. Starts alright for me.
I've got the slip in big bore NPR p/c and I have big valves so I think I'm ok.
A lota of people run 40's on stock engines.

Paul

I run 40's.. IDF though
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 10 2003, 06:23 AM)

thanks,
david

When I purchased my 75 2.0L with a mild cam it had 48IDAs w/37mm chokes. It started easy enough, even in the winter. However, it had a fair amount of low-rev stumble/coughing - didn't really catch until 3k plus and then it really screamed (kinda fun, felt like a hotrod), but it had NO low end torque.

Once I started autocrossing, it became apparent that this was a BAD combination. Low end torque coming out of a turn is a good thing for AX. Sifting through various threads, and receiving direct advice on this board, I fitted 44IDFs w/32mm chokes. These guys know what they're talking about - it brought the engine to life with a much broader and useful powerband. I thought it might sacrifice some upper end power, but it seems just as strong as it was - pulls real hard right up to 6k.

Seems to me the 48IDAs need a big, radical engine destined for a racetrack to realize their potential. I haven't sold the carbs yet if you decide to go that way, but I'd suggest getting more feedback from some other racers first. I think more of them run smaller carbs. You might also want to check the rule book for whatever class you run in.
Aaron Cox
i dint think you could buy 44 IDA's. IDFs are available in 36's (europe only) 40's and 44, and 48's.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 10 2003, 01:10 PM)
i dint think you could buy 44 IDA's. IDFs are available in 36's (europe only) 40's and 44, and 48's.

46 IDA's were used on the 904; donno if they're still available, but i'm pretty sure all the 904's are accounted for :-)
meursault
46 IDA's were used on the 904; donno if they're still available, but i'm pretty sure all the 904's are accounted for :-)

No, I'm pretty sure the 2-barrel 46s are long gone. The only 2- barrel IDAs still (somewhat) available are the 48 IDAs. Seems there's a sudden supply of new 48 IDAs; don't know if people have started digging up NOS 48s or if Weber resumed production.

IDF series carbs are pretty common and of a completely different design. A 48 IDA is always preferable to a 48 IDF.
Brad Roberts
I have ran 48 IDA's on 2056 engines.. they run fine.. it's all about the tuning.

Yes.. WEBER started making the 48IDA's again.

I run 36's on 1.7 engines.. choked down 40's on 1.8's and 40's (or 44's) on 2.0 engines.

You have to get the chokes correct and the idle/main jets correct.. and the asir correction correct.

B
ChrisFoley
A single 48IDA is the hot ticket on SCCA EProd Mazda RX-7s. Until recently they were in very short supply.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 10 2003, 07:19 PM)
A single 48IDA is the hot ticket on SCCA EProd Mazda RX-7s. Until recently they were in very short supply.

Durn! Just when I have some genuine Italian originals to sell, Weber floods the market with cheap replicas. They prolly just barely work. laugh.gif

Anyone wants a set of "Pre-Tested" genuine 48s, just dial 405-615-0914. Our operators are standing by.

don't really call that number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.