Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Another Day at the office...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
So...I was leaving work yesterday and on the way out I noticed a very nice car out front with a small crowd around it. I immediately went downstairs to check it out and low and behold it was none other that Craig Barrett (Intel CEO) getting out of a brand new Ford GT-40. It turns out that he was making a presentation and the Oracle convention and he used the car in the show and he was driving it back to Intel. This was the third prototype made and was absolutely amazing. Craig, and some Ford representatives, opened up the engine bay to show us the 500hp motor, aluminum spaceframe, and carbon fiber everything. I have to say, this is a very nice looking car.

To make it more interesting, Paul Otenille (Intel CFO), came out a bit later and the Ford people let him take it for a test drive around the block. As he makes it off the Intel property he was making a left hand turn and almost spun the back around as he mashed the gas. Talk about a car with way to much power driving on wet roads. It would have been quite amusing if he had wreck it though.

Check it out...
Britain Smith
another...
Britain Smith
I am the one with the white shirt on...
tat2dphreak
pray.gif

I drool in the general direction of that car...
Ferg
Yep, that's the coolest car in my book right now. The GT3 is a close second.

I saw 3 of them at the historic's, I thought they had different wheels though. I do not like the wheels that are on that car above, they look "off". They look like toyota wheels blink.gif .
biosurfer1
must be nice to be the CEO...i think i should go apply to be one of those:)
Curvie Roadlover
wub.gif
reverie
That is excellent.. thanks! My heart also takes a deep breath when I see a nicely modded Karmann-Ghia, even though it's not in that class of cars:
http://www.nose-down.de/bilder/meetings/03...03/IMG_3145.jpg
tat2dphreak
nice clean Ghia! a buddy has a '70, if it was a convertible, it would be his dream car!

he wants to convert to a TIV though... little 40hp engine don't cut it.
Joe Bob
I am the one with the white shirt on...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Could not tell.....wasn't able to see the pocket protector with 20 pens..... lol2.gif
need4speed
Type 4. I did a 912 conversion on mine, and regretted it. (way too costly to rebuild a 912 engine). It's now de-converted.
tat2dphreak
yea, type 4 parts are much more expensive than type 1 parts too... I thought the 912s used a lot of type 1 parts though?

or are you referring to a 912E? which used one of "our" TIV engines.
campbellcj
Fabulous...I really hope the new GT40 makes it into production. I always loved that car.

FWIW at lunch just now I saw one of "that guy's" early cars getting loaded onto an interstate (enclosed big-rig) car hauler, presumably headed back east. It was either a 550 or RSK (I'm not great at ID'ing those vintage p-cars, esp at a distance). It sounded and looked sweet...

There was also an extremely good looking brunette at the corner sandwich shop (across the street from the car hauler), driving a silver 993tt. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

There was also a Lambo Miura on the hauler's top deck.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 10 2003, 12:09 PM)
I thought the 912s used a lot of type 1 parts though?

plus or minus a bolt or screw here and there - zero.

the early-early-early cars (like my '53 1500N plain-bearing) had much more in common with their VW contemporaries (the 1300 and 1500N engines were basically hotrodded 36-HP engines) but by the time you got into the 3-piece case and the 356 SC engines (of which the 912 was a slightly detuned version) any remaining commonality was nonexistant.
tat2dphreak
WOW, I learn something new every day!! cool! thanks for letting me in on that, I knew the EARLY 356s were basically type 1s, and assumed that just carried over....
Britain Smith
The Ford Rep there with the car indicated that they were doing a two year run production run with a total of about 4000 cars.

-Britain
biosurfer1
which means they wont be going cheap...
Britain Smith
Someone mentioned that it would be in the ballpark of $150K, but don't quote me on that.

-Britain
Jenny
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 10 2003, 02:47 PM)
Someone mentioned that it would be in the ballpark of $150K

-Britain

lol2.gif

Jen <-- Bored at work
Ferg
About 150k is right, although final pricing is not final. blink.gif First year production and part of second year is sold out. My dad's a ford dealer, and even he cannot get a straight answer from his friends in detroit at this point. His friend has a confired order on the first run, so I may have to go to MI for a "ride" smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Britain is the one with the white TEE SHIRT on in the pic above the one he posted "I'm the one" in. Dork. At least say.. "I'm the one" IN THE PIC ABOVE.

B
seanery
Speaking of Hard To Get cars.

When I was getting the rover serviced I checked out the cool 911 in the showroom, it was a GT3!! woohoo, way cool. I talked to one of the cats about it and he told me that they WILL be getting a Carrera GT!! WOOHOO!! I wanna sit in that!
rhodyguy
i sure like that red/black german vw mail van in the background. they are starting to pop up in the vw mags frequently.

kevin
Curvie Roadlover
here's some pics of the red GT 40 from the North American International Auto Show
Curvie Roadlover
and
reverie
Wow.. thanks.. awesome pics! smile.gif

Yeah, Kev, I like those too.. VW Fridolins have a high coolness factor.. used for delivering mail? smile.gif
neo914-6
Britain,
Did you ask at what speed do they pull the "air brake"...lol.
BTW, finally got the tranny in. We had the same problem of not mating the last inch but it turned out to be the t/o bearing slipped in front of the shift fork.
Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.