Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans-build party San Diego style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
me, Herb and Jessy O will be re-building our transaxles this sunday the 19th with brews and yard bird on teh grill in teh early aftrenoon. anyone is welcome to stop by and tip a few back. the event will be held in City heights in my driveway. jsharp.gif
Twystd1
I am gunna try to make it out there.

Depends if I can pick up a 914 that I am trying to buy on saturday or not.

No commitment. Won't know till Saturday if it's possible.

I just wanna tool on something

I am going nutz. Need to get my hands dirty.

Twystd1
DonTraver
Cool, I'll show up, I can pick up that cushion thingy.

Later, Don

sean_v8_914
yup
sean_v8_914
hjghj icon_bump.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Mar 15 2006, 03:01 AM)
I am gunna try to make it out there.

Depends if I can pick up a 914 that I am trying to buy on saturday or not.

No commitment. Won't know till Saturday if it's possible.

I just wanna tool on something

I am going nutz. Need to get my hands dirty.

Twystd1

shot gun...

we need to bring thomas... ala 901 guru... and joe sharp
Dr Evil
Tomas is a guru now? That is awsome biggrin.gif Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
sean_v8_914
we need a dog tooth puller
fred wont stand still long enough
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Mar 16 2006, 02:53 PM)
we need a dog tooth puller
fred wont stand still long enough

joe sharp and thomas have one....

cbenitah
oh what to bring idea.gif what to bring so many items i have lol2.gif
hmeeder
fiid loaned me a dogteeth puller, so we are good on that score.

Gonna get stinky on Sunday!

(begin your sacrificial ceremonies to the rain gods now!)
Brad Roberts
I'll shoot over after the SCCA AutoX at Qualcomm. I dont have anything planned for Sunday.

B
Brad Roberts
Um.. do you guy's need any parts? Like gaskets and such?

I can order all the way up until 4:30pm.. I can also get parts on Saturday if need be.

Please tell me you are installing new dog teeth and with new sliders and brake bands???

B
eeyore
I was talking with Sean last night. He was wishing he had a 2nd set of gaskets. Maybe give him a call.
hmeeder
Brad;

I think you will be very disappointed with us! This is a canibalizing party (you know, taking dogteeth, brakebands, sliders off of 4th and 5th, making the best trans out of used parts, etc.)

We are extra CSOBs and you'll just call us names for not coughing up $500 for all new parts (and Sean might cry if you are too hard on him. He's been extra sensitive since I beat him with his own car last week.)

So, just to get the proper flame war going, what kind of Trans Lube do you guys use at the shop? There seems to be a cult-like following of the SWEPCO blue, but has your experience bore that out? I have also read on this board that Synthetics are "too slippery" but so far, that opinion seems more anecdotal than based on empirical evidence.

Others have said to throw any decent 90w and we should be OK. If Swepco is the shiznit, can you get ahold of some for Sunday?

Someone talked me into Synthetic and I bought 3 liters of Lubro-Moly, but if that don't cut it, I can return it (where the hell is that receipt?)

Curious minds want to know.

(yes, if I had the money, I'd be doing the trans the right way, but I gotta economize right now. I'll hang my head in shame and do it anyway.)
Brad Roberts
I'm going to bring two complete gasket kits. If we dont need them, I'll send them back on Monday.

Price will be $30 each.

B
Brad Roberts
I understand Herb. Not everyone has the money to do it right.

SWEPCO.

I do have several years of racing abuse and synthetics in 901's. I can easily explain what happens with the tranny when syn is used.

I can have several jugs of Swepco with me also.

B
Brad Roberts
The SWEPCO will run: 61.51. I buy it for 51.51. I know I can get it cheaper, but not today.

B
hmeeder
I do have several years of racing abuse and synthetics in 901's. I can easily explain what happens with the tranny when syn is used.

I can have several jugs of Swepco with me also.

Sweet! Maybe you can give us a good explanation of the reason for avoiding the Synths on Sunday. On an old thread someone (maybe Shea?) was saying something about the brass alloys needing/liking the additives in Swepco and that Synths lack them. Also saying the Synths "slide off" the gears.

Dunno, but I'm always looking for a good answer!
eeyore
I have a quart or two of 201 I'll donate to the party.
sean_v8_914
most competent racers use olive oil in their trannys. it smells much better than hypoid and tasts good too
sean_v8_914
does anyone own a pop up canopy?
hmeeder
me got one. I'll bring it for the drizzle, fo shizzle.
cbenitah
is anyone driving through or pass PB? I'd love to come but my only car is on the south of the boarder as you know.

thanks
cris

flag.gif
sean_v8_914
we have yard bird and dead cow
sean_v8_914
scrub a dub dub!
sean_v8_914
and scrub some more
sean_v8_914
no more scrub it's time for grub jsharp.gif
sean_v8_914
done with grub its time to scrub
sean_v8_914
Did someone say GRUB?
Twystd1
Guys,

Had a great fucking time.!!!!

Killer food, Yard bird and dead cow!!!!!!!

Your dog is now my best friend. wub.gif (Sorry MattR and Aaron)

Was good to see a new fella get into the fray... Hi Mark!!!!

Don, If ya weren't such a nice guy... I'd have to kill ya for your car. biggrin.gif I do REALLY like your car.... Then again.. Who doesn't

Guys.... Thanks for everything.

Next time your in my town... Energy drinks and BBQ sumpin is on me...

Twystd1
DonTraver
Had a good time learning the 901 tranny. Good company, good food, good weather. Fred is a really cool boy. What more could you ask for.

Thanks Clayton, I really like my 6 too, especially since I got the brakes overhauled by Eric Shea. I think the restoration is done, just have to figure out where all the stickers/labels go. Just got this set of them, nice.
Aaron Cox
sheeitt.... i shoulda made it down sad.gif

looks like fun guys. smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
When I arrived, it appeared like several 914 trannies had exploded. Like a terrorist had driven into Sean's driveway in a bug and blew it up (he has a rolling VW pan next to where all the tranny mayhem was occuring)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.