Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carbon fiber hood and trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I guess this is more for future use .. but still would interested to find out and see about prices...

I recall seeing a pic of a car with a carbon fiber truck lid .. I think
Rand
I think Getty Design has prices in their downloadable catalog. About $800 each IIRC.
Scott Carlberg
Mueller has them on his 914, doesn't he?

do a search for CF
Rand
Also check out Joe's Blog.
Mueller
Yep, Getty Design, street version is 1/2 the weight of the stock parts (15 instead of 30)....

not cheap, but worth it...works of art...must cover with paint or a clearcoat for UV protection.....

user posted image
Chris Pincetich
I got a set used for half the price of new. They are still collecting dust while I fix more immediate issues on the 914. Sometime this spring or summer I will dust them off, get some epoxy resin, seal all the delam, adjust any fit issues, make some custom black anodized GT hood pins and plates for the front, wet sand and polish all the scratches off, then onto my 914 they go. I've always been attracted to carbon fiber, and although they might be seen as a "ricer mod", I can't wait to get them on my black '72. The 50 lbs off of the car should make it feel like 71 hp instead of 70!
laugh.gif
beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2006, 10:07 AM)
I guess this is more for future use .. but still would interested to find out and see about prices...

I recall seeing a pic of a car with a carbon fiber truck lid .. I think

If you plan to do any SCCA AX events these will put you with the big guns in Mod classes dry.gif They ONLY reason why I haven't ordered a set. mad.gif
turboman808
get cheapo fiberglass and then lay the carbon cloth over the top. Cost half the price biggrin.gif
sk8kat1
still debating the AX thing which is one reason why I liked them also the look is bad ass ! my plan is to paint them but leave a 16in stripe that runs straight back from the headlights as the carbon fiber... I think they are like the gt stripes ? someone had put up a pic of doing the same stripes with 16in black vinyl
Mueller
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2006, 11:33 AM)
still debating the AX thing which is one reason why I liked them also the look is bad ass ! my plan is to  paint them but leave a 16in stripe that runs straight back from the headlights as the carbon fiber... I think they are like the gt stripes ?  someone had put up a pic of doing the same stripes with 16in black vinyl

for auto-x...it really only matters IF you go all out and want to compete every single weekend....if the car is more of a driver and you'll auto-x every once in a while just for fun and to see if you can get a better time than your buddy...who cares???

Garald "competes" so he needs to pay attention to the rules and the class he runs in....

another great thing about the Getty lids, very strong.....I used to lay on the rear lid while working on the engine...I'm 200+ lbs and the lid never complained once smile.gif don't think I'd try that on a 'glass lid....
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 15 2006, 10:36 AM)
...for auto-x...it really only matters IF you go all out and want to compete every single weekend....if the car is more of a driver and you'll auto-x every once in a while just for fun and to see if you can get a better time than your buddy...who cares???...

agree.gif
Exactly what I was going to say. Just 'race' for time only, not competition wink.gif
Marv's3.6six
Mine too from Getty, however I painted mine, and can be seen at this thread The problem with unpainted is that the clear coat will eventually turn yellow with sun exposure and look like caca.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 15 2006, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2006, 11:33 AM)
still debating the AX thing which is one reason why I liked them also the look is bad ass ! my plan is to  paint them but leave a 16in stripe that runs straight back from the headlights as the carbon fiber... I think they are like the gt stripes ?  someone had put up a pic of doing the same stripes with 16in black vinyl

for auto-x...it really only matters IF you go all out and want to compete every single weekend....if the car is more of a driver and you'll auto-x every once in a while just for fun and to see if you can get a better time than your buddy...who cares???

Garald "competes" so he needs to pay attention to the rules and the class he runs in....

another great thing about the Getty lids, very strong.....I used to lay on the rear lid while working on the engine...I'm 200+ lbs and the lid never complained once smile.gif don't think I'd try that on a 'glass lid....

True I compete, but all it took was one time AXing and I was hooked smile.gif

The wife won't let me get on a big track, she knows what will happen laugh.gif driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2006, 10:33 AM)
still debating the AX thing which is one reason why I liked them also the look is bad ass ! my plan is to paint them but leave a 16in stripe that runs straight back from the headlights as the carbon fiber... I think they are like the gt stripes ? someone had put up a pic of doing the same stripes with 16in black vinyl

wavey.gif

GaroldShaffer
bootyshake.gif shot

BigDBass
I sure like the new stripes on "your go krt". Hopefully I'll get to see it in person eventually. I'm trying to keep an eye open for an AX event in the area to visit as a spectator.
Howard
I have Getty F/G hood and bumpers on the 2.0. Fit perfectly, and IIRC actually a bit lighter than C/F. Did get me bumped up from 'improved' to 'prepared', but I'm so slow it doesn't really matter.

After driving a number of 914/4's, this car feels quicker than most even with a stock engine. I asked this before, but never really got a straight answer. Why C/F?
sk8kat1
you have two diff plates .. why is that ?
sk8kat1
oh and that was you .. woo hoo that means I might get to see it if you come out the WI cook out!
Randal
Don't know if anyone mentioned that the Getty CF group buy was a pretty good deal at $1,000 for both the hood and trunk.

Wonder if Neal would do it again?
Mueller
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 15 2006, 12:59 PM)
I asked this before, but never really got a straight answer. Why C/F?

Pick one:

• when I bought mine, I had more room on my credit card than common sense in my brain smile.gif
  • some young punk at Starbucks called me Sir and I figured the C/F lids would make me "hip" and "cool" and knock 10 years off my age
  • i wanted the cute asian girl in the honda down the street to notice me

I have since sold mine...combination of needing the money and sold 'em for what I bought 'em for and have decided to put the car back to stock looking more or less.....until I change my mind again....

brant
slight hijack...

but Mike, or anyone...
what weights have people seen on their stock lids.
I started working on my race car front lid last sunday to shed lbs.. and came up with 35lbs as my stock before weight..

what weights have people measure on stock front hoods?

brant
Mueller
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 15 2006, 01:59 PM)
slight hijack...

but Mike, or anyone...
what weights have people seen on their stock lids.
I started working on my race car front lid last sunday to shed lbs.. and came up with 35lbs as my stock before weight..

what weights have people measure on stock front hoods?

brant

stock front 31
stock rear 30 or switch those around......no hardware, no bondo, just clean lids

both Getty lids weighed 15..no hardware
brant
hmmmm....

my stock front must be fat.
plus my scale is probably not all that good.

can't wait to finish my little experiment and see what my metal hood comes down to.

brant
byndbad914
QUOTE (Randal @ Mar 15 2006, 12:46 PM)
Don't know if anyone mentioned that the Getty CF group buy was a pretty good deal at $1,000 for both the hood and trunk.

Wonder if Neal would do it again?

I would be in to get a set if anyone else it at that price! I spoke to Getty about 3-4wks ago and he had no carbon fiber and didn't know when he would - agreed that I should call back in a couple months when I was closer to really needing them.

Anybody else looking to get a set to maybe get a group buy going?
mack914
I was part of the group buy from Getty, feb of 05. For me it was the look, clear coat on a all black car. It's a cF theme, with the hoods, dash face panels, and a carbon fiber center vinyl on the seats, and door panels. Look around, there is carbon f on everthing. My orthotics, my sons soccer shoes and my wife's vibrator are are made with that wonderful space aged material, that some people believed was left behind from some alien visit. Put here to help us somehow impress the friends and young ladies that may be in our lives. blink.gif
TonyAKAVW
I spoke to Getty about 3-4wks ago and he had no carbon fiber and didn't know when he would - agreed that I should call back in a couple months when I was closer to really needing them.

Apparently a LOT of people are having a hard time getting any carbon fiber whatsoever. It turns out that Boeing and Airbus are consuming a HUGE amount of the stuff, as well as military aircraft. The problem is compounded because the supply hasn't increased increased to compensate and won't increase for some months or a year!

-Tony
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2006, 12:00 PM)
you have two diff plates .. why is that ?

In Indiana we only have the rear plate. You can have whatever you want on front (within reason) so I put the plate from my old 73 914 (RIP) on. cool.gif
Jake Raby
C/F is very hard to attain. My carbon Fiber DTM shrouds have slowed way down in turn around time due mostly to the war. My tech is a C/F guy at Rockwell and if he didn't have his "hook up" we'd be all out of luck...
byndbad914
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 15 2006, 08:20 PM)
I spoke to Getty about 3-4wks ago and he had no carbon fiber and didn't know when he would - agreed that I should call back in a couple months when I was closer to really needing them.

Apparently a LOT of people are having a hard time getting any carbon fiber whatsoever. It turns out that Boeing and Airbus are consuming a HUGE amount of the stuff, as well as military aircraft. The problem is compounded because the supply hasn't increased increased to compensate and won't increase for some months or a year!

-Tony

yep, I am hearing the same story elsewhere. So apparently airframers and vibrator manufacturers are chewing up all the inventory.
Howard
QUOTE (mack914 @ Mar 15 2006, 07:49 PM)
I was part of the group buy from Getty, feb of 05. For me it was the look, clear coat on a all black car. It's a cF theme, with the hoods, dash face panels, and a carbon fiber center vinyl on the seats, and door panels. Look around, there is carbon f on everthing. My orthotics, my sons soccer shoes and my wife's vibrator are are made with that wonderful space aged material, that some people believed was left behind from some alien visit. Put here to help us somehow impress the friends and young ladies that may be in our lives. blink.gif

Mike, Mark, thanks. It gives me insight and is a bit disturbing (not the C/F) screwy.gif
iamchappy
I realize that the Carbon fiber vibrator would be lighter but does it also make it go faster?

Or do the yellow ones remain the fastest.
cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.