Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission input shaft seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Another bonehead move! I was trying to remove the input shaft seal and somehow pushed it all the way into the transmission case. (Brilliant)! Any ideas how to get it out? Can I leave it in there without doing any damage?
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
Dont leave it in there. The steel ring inside the seal with grind up inside the box over time.

Pull the side cover off (drain the lube first).. and cut the seal off the input shaft.

Pulling the cover will require some work.. the seal is a tight fit..

I can show you pics later in this thread if need be.

B
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Pics would be great Brad. Thanks alot for the help.
See you at Ventura.
Cheers, Elliot
Bleyseng
Here is a pic of a tranny with the cover off.
Geoff
need4speed
COuldn't one take a long, skinny drill-bit, drill a hole in the seal, then get a long, slightly less-skinny screw, and screw it into the seal, then pull it out, without taking the transaxle apart? Sure, you'd have some rubber shavings in there.. .
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
You could drill a hole and insert a screw, then the rubber in the seal would just tear out. (I tried it). Much thanks to Brad and Geoff. I'll get on it rite away.
Cheers, Elliot
Mike D.
I did this once. I open the trans. from the back and pulled the gear assembly out. Then I was able to pull the bad oil seal out the front with a hook made from a coat hanger. I didn't think about removing the diff. I got a seal/gasket set from Performance and just did the whole thing. Still leaks out the speedo drive... headbang.gif

Oh well...
Mike D.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I just finished it. You don't have to take out the diff. I clamped a vise grip to the seal, put a rag under to catch metal and used a hack saw blade to cut the seal. Grabbed the vice grip and pulled the seal out. installed everything including the new seal and ready to reinstall.
Much thanks to Brad for the advice and Geoff for the great pic.
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
Hey clap56.gif here at the 914club.. you get what you pay for...LOL

Oh.. wait THIS IS FREE..lol

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.