Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing key tumblers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Well the doors went pretty quickly as I re-keyed 3 lock sets the night before. SO it was pop the door panel pull the door latch 1 2 3 and were all done.

THEN came the ignition switch. Early column that of course some DAPO has been into before.
ended up pulling the entire column out to put it on my work bench and continue to wrestle the cables inside the metal column to wiggle the lock assembly out enough to release the latch spring inside to pull the tumbler.

Discovered a hidden splice of the grey wire and tape! no wonder the cable wouldn't pull out. Hey DAPO finger.gif and to top it off the little pot metal piece that sits under the tumbler came out in 3 pieces. blink.gif

So it's off to buy a new soldering iron as mine got "Hurricaned".

The Stripper didn't come with an ignition switch so if anyone has a complete assembly let me know. at least the little metal piece under the tumbler. aktion035.gif
URY914
Put in a starter button.... wink.gif
Joe Ricard
I got it workin now mechanically. but want to replace the metal thingy underneath the tumbler. Should be a 20 minute job now that the cable can slide through the column correctly.
r_towle
show me a pic...
I took apart an entire setup to harvest the plastic switch...so I probably have it somewhere, already out.

Rich
markb
If it's a 70, it doesn't have the plastic switch. It's a one piece thing, hard wired in. Call Dave at GPR & see if he has an early switch. I have one I *may* be able to repair (same problem as what you have), but I can't get to it until next week.
Joe Ricard
Well I got it all back together and the car starts and runs. smilie_pokal.gif
All the widgets work as they did before. The tumbler is finicky and wants to keep coming out. Not sure why unless now it is really cleaned up. and no more super thick grease holding it in.

But right now I got it running and am going Racing this weekend.

Paul this make the push button all the more attractive. Wonder if I can steal one off that fancy schmancy S2000 when he's not lookin. happy11.gif

I guess I would probably entertain a newer version if I can wire it up right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.