Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Pad replacement - Is there a "How to guide"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sherman1
Hello gents (and I use that term loosely),

Newbie here, who just joined last week, with 2 914's stuffed into my garage, much to my wife's dismay (but that's OK as she get's most of the other rooms in the house).

One of my 914's, the '71 Light Ivory 1.7, needs a new dash - I just ordered a new Dash Pad from "da factory" and it's due in next week.

So, I need to mentally prepare myself for the uncharted challenge of swapping out the dash pads.

Is there a written guide or weblink that details how best to accomplish the R&R of the dash pad, with minimal stress & red knuckles...? I figure it's a weekend project.

Here's a photo of my '71 for grins...

user posted image

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Cheers,
Ken
914-8
do a search on this very site.

there are some very good, detailed with pictures, step by steps on how to replace the dash.
Rand
If you haven't checked it out yet, be sure and browse through the "classic message threads." Great stuff in there. (There's a picklist on the lower right of your screen that's handy for jumping to different forums.)

Here's a link to a dash top thread
sherman1
Thank guys, that is great info.

I'm still learning to navigate this site, and there's wealth of 914 info here I've yet to uncover.

Cheers beerchug.gif
tdgray
Just did this last weekend... major pita.

Hope you have small hands and strong fingers.

Just takes mucho time... stay with it smile.gif
tat2dphreak
a trick I've found... I use a ratchet that can be actuated on the handle, bye twisting a "T".. called a sidewinder:

like THIS

it REALLY helps get the hardest ones... I think I used it and a knuckle for 1-2 of them... no blood the last time I did it.. biggrin.gif

car looks really nice... great photo
mrdezyne
Schweet 71' by the way and welcome to the forum..... beer.gif
sherman1
Wayne,

Thanks for the link on the "T" sidewinder wrench - that just might do the trick, as my hands are too big (he bragged...LOL)

tat2dphreak
harbor freight has them cheaper and I think they have a 1/4" one that is PERFECT... I think I got the 14" one when I bought my 3/8... the right tool always makes things go smoother...

the tool is almost useless ofr anything else, but rocks for the dash replacement
sherman1
Wow, is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to get the dash pad off...?

Hope not.

Anyone?
Rand
I started to say no, but I removed the steering wheel when I took mine off. It's nice to have it out of the way when you pull the gauges forward.

No problem, removing the steering wheel is easy.
olav
QUOTE (sherman1 @ Mar 16 2006, 03:59 PM)
Wow, is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to get the dash pad off...?

Hope not.

Anyone?

I didn't need too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.