Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pressure light on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocket
ok guys,

i was out with my dad in my car today and the oil presser light on the dash went on. he says thatit dosnt sound like theres low oil pressure so he told me to look up a test online to see if the oil pressure sender was faulty. i looked it up here and i couldnt find a test.

is the only test take it out and put another one in and see if it works?

'74, 1.8l

-rocket
lapuwali
Get a handheld mechanical gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting. Remove the stock sender, start the engine, check the oil pressure. That's how you test.

By the time an engine with low oil pressure makes noise, you're ready to rebuild it, anyway. The damage has already been done.
Rocket
is there any test to do with a volt/ohm meter? cause it might be electrical. and does it go through that logic switch underneath the passenger seat?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Rocket @ Mar 16 2006, 04:24 PM)
is there any test to do with a volt/ohm meter? cause it might be electrical. and does it go through that logic switch underneath the passenger seat?

The oil pressure switch is closed when there is no oil pressure. Pull the green wire from the switch and see if the light goes out. If it doesn't, then you have a short in the wiring.

I would still check it with a mechanical gauge.

And no, the oil pressure light does not go through the big brother relay under the passenger seat.
Rocket
alright, well its off when i pull the plug, so im oging to replace it and see if it stays off....

ill keep ya posted
bd1308
uh, when you put that new sender in there....make sure its tight but not too tight.

I leaked about a quart of oil PER day and it was from a leaky oil pressure sender.

these cars are great, arent they biggrin.gif

b
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Rocket @ Mar 16 2006, 04:31 PM)
alright, well its off when i pull the plug, so im oging to replace it and see if it stays off....

ill keep ya posted

PUT A MECHANICAL GAUGE ON IT!! headbang.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Rocket @ Mar 16 2006, 02:31 PM)

ill keep ya posted

DO NOT buy the generic FLAPS sensor! They're cr*p, and often won't even go in the hole in the tin. VW # 021 919 081, avaqqilable at most foreign car parts stores, Porsche and VW shops. Should be 6-7 bucks. 24 mm deep socket to change it. Oh, and make sure you have enough oil in the engine! The Cap'n
r_towle
it was loose
so no ground...tighten it down and all set.

R
ejm
And no, the oil pressure light does not go through the big brother relay under the passenger seat.

Technically the oil light wiring doesn't go through the seat belt relay but the wiring does make a stop there at terminal "B". A relay that's not securely mounted or has water in it could cause a false oil warning light.
r_towle
QUOTE (ejm @ Mar 16 2006, 09:25 PM)

Technically the oil light wiring doesn't go through the seat belt relay but the wiring does make a stop there at terminal "B". A relay that's not securely mounted or has water in it could cause a false oil warning light.

I know it goes through there...we already disected that wiring online here...

Can I just take it off of that relay "logic circuit" and wire it to the lead that goes to the light, or ???

Why is it going through the logic circuit?

I would like to eliminate that logic circuit completely, this is the one thing that I would like to retain, I would like to keep the oil pressure light working correctly...

Rich
Joe Ricard
Whoa Whoa Whoa.
you said the light stays off when you pull the wire.

DUh because you eliminated the opportunity to be grounded through the switch.
Your switch is doing it's job as you know. turn key light goes on fire up engine light stays on for more than a half second YOU GOT A PROBLEM and a very expensive one (no oil pressure).

Bite the bullet and get a mechanical gauge If you think it's too expensive ask what a rebuild costs..

Have you checked the oil level in the sump? is it the correct viscosity might it be diluted with gas or water?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.