Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmilzoff
I'm about to remove my rear calipers for Brad to rebuild (are you listening Brad?)
Question 1. How do you remove the parking brake cable? It does not seem under tension.
Question 2. What is the best way to seal the brake lines to prevent draining the brake fluid?
Brad, you will have the two 9146 calipers for rebuild early next week. Thanx.
ChrisReale
To remove the p-brake, punch out the pin that goes through the end. and it just comes off.
dmilzoff
Thanx. That solution seemed to easy. Also, it was hard to see the pin under all of the crud.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dmilzoff @ Sep 10 2003, 03:48 PM)
Question 1. How do you remove the parking brake cable? It does not seem under tension.
Question 2. What is the best way to seal the brake lines to prevent draining the brake fluid?

when i -re-installed my calipers, i drilled the little pins for a teeny cotter pin to make sure it never came out on its own. probably overkill but my pins are still in place...

since you'll have to bleed everything afterwards anyway preventing drainage is a halfway measure at best. if you run the brake pedal to the floor, it will prevent the reservoir from draining through the MC. you can use something like a sharpened pencil (preferably, a #2 Ticonderoga...) to stick into the end of the hard line...
URY914
I use a "HB" lead when I plug the lines.
It is softer.

Paul
ChrisFoley
The pins are supposed to have a small clip on the bottom that seats in a groove in the pin.

To seal the brake lines I cut the ends off an old brake line and tig weld the opening at the back to create a plug that can be screwed into the end of the hose. Its easier to disconnect where the flex hose attaches to the steel line under the trailing arm. Then remove the steel line after taking the caliper off.
tat2dphreak
on the PB, I replaced the pin with a long machine screw with nuts on the end... the pins wanted to fall out when there was slack in the line... never again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.