Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA SAYS i NEED THESE ITEMS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Albert914
Well I'm getting the 914 ready for the first couple races of the season. The GCR book says I need these items to run the the production class- race seat, on board fire system, fuel cell and roll cage mods. Where can I get these items for a decent price? The problem I have with the fuel cell is most cars I've seen put the fuel cell where the spare tire went. My car has ducting from the oil cooler and I can't move it. MY cell will have to go in the stock location. Any ideas what size will fit? I might not be ready for round one at Infineon, but I want to be at laguna round two.
Jeroen
patrick motorsports has a very nice fuel cell that is fabbed from a stock tank
expensive though...
GaroldShaffer
Could you cut a hole in the trunk wall (?) you know where the tank sits now and where the spare tire would go? would that give you enough room for a fule cell? You could use the area where the tank used to be plus behind the oil cooler? Just a thought.
brant
a guy I know with a -6 and original 471 parts didn't want to cut through the bulkhead against the tank... so had made a custom cell that fits up tight against the bulkhead, yet sits on the trunk floor and doesn't interfere with his original GT shroud duct work...

you could do that also
its a tiny bit forward from the patrick sell, but a tiny bit lower too....

me... I just mounted the oil coolers differntly to allow all the cell room I could need (15 gallons)

brant
MattR
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 16 2006, 09:14 PM)
Could you cut a hole in the trunk wall (?) you know where the tank sits now and where the spare tire would go? would that give you enough room for a fule cell? You could use the area where the tank used to be plus behind the oil cooler? Just a thought.

doesnt that firewall provide lots of rigidity?

Unless its braced with a full cage... of course.
Trekkor
Hi Albert.

I don't think I'll make Marina this weekend.

Anyway, the seat and maybe the fire system can be found at I/O Port and the cage mods can be done by TC, near you.

You might want to talk to Rich at Jerry Woods or Rich at HPH for more details.

KT
brant
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 16 2006, 10:25 PM)

I think across the top (strut tower to strut tower) provides rigidity similar to a bolt in strut brace......

but I don't think cutting the lower section to accomodate a tank is a problem. Here is a shot with that section notched to allow the cell to scoot back as far as possible (for weight purposes):
Brett W
Get a square 10gal Fuel Safe or ATL. Mount it in the footwell of the passenger floor board. If puts the weight in a much better place.
gregrobbins
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 16 2006, 10:52 PM)
Get a square 10gal Fuel Safe or ATL. Mount it in the footwell of the passenger floor board. If puts the weight in a much better place.

I am thinking they may have a problem with the fuel cell in the cabin with the driver and no barrier between the two. In HSR West vintage racing, this would not be allowed. I like the Patrick Motorsports Fuel Cell because it fits in the stock location which is required for some organizations, and is very well built.

Apex Performance has some good prices on fire suspression systems.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 16 2006, 08:40 PM)
patrick motorsports has a very nice fuel cell that is fabbed from a stock tank

agree.gif very nice product ...

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...UEL&cat2=&cat3=

user posted image

wub.gif Andy
Terrance
Call up Tony at TC Design in Milpitas. He's a good guy and has done countless 914's. Probably one of the best cage guys around. He's on this board from time to time.

What class are you running? EP? They require a fuel cell for sure. I'm not sure how your cage is, but Tony can probably "massage" it to make it legal.

Terrance
ChrisFoley
Albert,
Welcome to Production. wacko.gif
You don't really need anything bigger than an 8 gallon cell if the car is dedicated to SCCA racing. It could go in the passenger footwell if you make an enclosure for it. You could go with the Patrick custom cell but it is pretty big and puts the weight up kind of high. I have a custom cell in the stock tank compartment but it goes deeper, is only on the right side and has a 6+ gallon capacity, plenty for National races.
Brett W
You can put the cell in the floor board as long as you put it in a container. It is the best place to put your weight. Although I do like Chris's cell.

In the production class you are not allowed to cut any material away from the body. The Bulkhead must remain intact.
groot
Fire system-you're gonna spend between $300 and $400 for the low-end systems. Get the remote release so you have more flexibility in the mounting location of the bottle..... suppliers: www.stockcarproducts.com www.pitstopusa.com and many others.

Race Seat-Your preference is most important here. You also need to get low in the car, if you're tall, to make sure your mellon stays below the cage. I've had good luck with the Kirkey road race 20 degree layback seat. The fiberglass and carbon seats are much more comfortable, but are harder to get low enough for the 914..... suppliers: www.jegs.com www.summitracing.com and many others.

Fuel Cell-I've used both the ATL and Fuel Safe cells and I prefer the ATL, they come with more fittings and other things to make it easier to install. Those custom cells are going to cost a lot of cash. A small square cell runs between $400 and $500 (make sure you get the FIA, FT-3 rated cell.... or whatever the GCR requires) ..... suppliers: www.stockcarproducts.com www.pitstopusa.com and many others.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 16 2006, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 16 2006, 10:25 PM)

I think across the top (strut tower to strut tower) provides rigidity similar to a bolt in strut brace......

but I don't think cutting the lower section to accomodate a tank is a problem. Here is a shot with that section notched to allow the cell to scoot back as far as possible (for weight purposes):

Yup, that is what I was talking about.
brant
Albert,

I'm surprised they would let you run the school without a car that passed tech?

Regarding the seat.
I'm a big fan of the ultrashield now!

I've got fire bottle and seat pictures in my thread if that helps.

brant
brant
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 17 2006, 07:51 AM)

In the production class you are not allowed to cut any material away from the body. The Bulkhead must remain intact.

Albert,

It sounds like your oil cooler ductwork through metal panels on the car may already be illegal for production?

Jake Raby
If you need power- call me.
nine14cats
Hi Albert,

I have a Halon system from Firebottle for my 914.

Firebottle

I also have purchased the 914 fuel safe cell from Patrick Motorsports and it is a nice piece. It's pricey, but it fits right in, no mods. It's a fuel cell that has been cut in half, bladder installed, then bolted back together. You then can replace the bladder easily when the time comes.

Good Luck!

Bill P.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (groot @ Mar 17 2006, 09:56 AM)
... the Kirkey road race 20 degree layback seat.

agree.gif
I have a Kirkey Lightweight Upright and in the best position the headrest is a bit too far back. A 20deg. layback would be perfect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.