Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why was I scared?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Well, I just finished my first solo /6 valve adjustment. Why was I scared about this?

I used the traditional method of valve adjustment. Doing it that way really helped me learn more about the engine - step by step. Cap'n sent me his valve adjustment method, but since I didn't understand the *why* behind the method, I chose to use the other procedure. Now, I think I get Larson's trick.

A couple of exhaust valves were tight. One intake was loose, one tight. If they were light-to-medium resistance on the feeler gauge, I left them be. I checked them all twice - because when the blade flexes, it gives a false "resistance".

I still have to put the valve covers on, but I'll tinker with that tomorrow.

-Rusty smoke.gif
redshift
Better put a note on the steering wheel..

"What the hell is all that noise?"

M
TheCabinetmaker
Rusty, I don't know if a six is different, but I use three feeler gauges. After I lock one down on .008, I check with the .007. if it doesn't slide in, it's too tight,
Then I check with .009. If it slides in, Its too loose.
Aaron Cox
agree.gif me too
si2t3m
I got to attack this also. Hey, i'm also scared about it!!!

I don't remember, do you have heat exchangers or headers? If you have heat exchangers, did you take them off to do the job???

Marc-André
rhodyguy
didn't brad say the other day to set the clearence at .002 "to wake these motors up"? i've been thinking about that for 2 days. wtf
DNHunt
Kevin

Play with that after Sunday. with Geoff taking the Ranger and being a wannabe I imagine the situation is kinda sweet for you. I'd run it stock and be sure you finish the drive. The beverages at Redhook probably taste pretty sweet.

Just my opinion

Dave
seanery
the low #'s Brad listed were for a -4
Marc-Andre and Rusty were doing -6's.
Rusty
I have Bursch headers, and turbo valve covers. I had to loosen the header at cylinder #3 to get the valve cover to clear.

Exhaust valve #6 is the worst, as far as access goes.

Now I understand why the /6 requires the strange shaped tool to get the blade in place. I may do that (extra size blades) the next time, but it'll mean buying two new tools and cutting some custom feeler gauges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.