Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinstalling Chrome question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
The vertical chrome pieces along the roll bar and windshield that holds the weather stripping in place was gooped originally with some sort of black pliable "goop" for lack of a better word.

What do you use today to seal these pieces down?

Much appreciated,
Rick_Eberle
Are these the ones that seal against the door windows?
Mine were just screwed on, no goop.
double-a
i believe the factory used a black butyl-like substance, so that's what i used to reinstall mine. it needs to be there to keep water out.

~a
computers4kids
QUOTE (Rick_Eberle @ Mar 17 2006, 07:19 AM)
Are these the ones that seal against the door windows?
Mine were just screwed on, no goop.

These chrome pieces which screw to the body and hold the weatherstriping run along the vertical side of the glass. Also the chrome pieces along the almost vertical side of the windshield. All four pieces were gooped down and screwed down. I presume this is how it came from the factory.
SLITS
The channels into which the seals slide (kinda) had a butyl rubber to seal the backside and were locked in place (adjustment) with screws. The "channels" are the "A" & "B" pillar polished aluminum pieces.

RTV will work just fine or get a tube of butyl. Keeps water from leaking between body and trim av-943.gif
computers4kids
Thanks all...time to hit the garage!
davesprinkle
The exact replacement for the black rubbery stuff behind the seal brackets is 3M Strip Caulk, 08578. Autobody old-timers call it "dum-dum". Costs about $11.00 for a box bigger than you'll ever use up in your entire lifetime. You should be able to find it at any decent auto paint supply store. Good stuff. Sticky as heck.
computers4kids
QUOTE (davesprinkle @ Mar 17 2006, 08:59 AM)
The exact replacement for the black rubbery stuff behind the seal brackets is 3M Strip Caulk, 08578. Autobody old-timers call it "dum-dum". Costs about $11.00 for a box bigger than you'll ever use up in your entire lifetime. You should be able to find it at any decent auto paint supply store. Good stuff. Sticky as heck.

Found it...yep, "sticky as heck."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.