Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bunghole question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
I'm installing a bunghole for an EGT probe.....how do I keep the metal chips from going inside the exhaust tube and then getting sucked up into the intake...it has a turbo....?

Is it impossible and I need to pull the header?

heh heh heh he said BUNGHOLE!!!!!
Aaron Cox
you take it off. drill the hole. clean it up. re install.

MarkV
I thought the turbo spins a fan than pushes fresh air into the intake. cool_shades.gif
rhodyguy
should'nt the bung be downstream from the turbo? the debris will blow out the exhaust.

k
messix
put grease on the drill bit and dont drill at high speed. drill a little and clean the chips, regrease and drill a little.
messix
p.s i wouldn't want metal chips going thru a turbo. the chance of scoring or chiping the housing or impeller, no thanks. easy to be safe.
Howard
So relieved to find this is car related beer.gif
TimT
should'nt the bung be downstream from the turbo?

Yes, if the o2 sensor is on the pressure side of the system the readings are skewed.

Joe Bob
Surprised you huh Howie????
bootyshake.gif

It's an Exhaust Gas Temp sender....all I have is a short turn down to 12 discs from a Supertrapp for a muffler.....izzat where I'm supposed to put it?

I was gonna put it on #3 exhaust tube.....this is a Type I engine and #3 gets the hottest.
rhodyguy
oh. enjoy taking it apart. AGAIN!!

k
Joe Bob
I put it after the Turbo on the exhaust side.....getting about 650F max on some spirited driving.....I'm only seeing 4psi of boost until I have the engine broken in more.

Got a little sideways on a hard 1-2 shift....woo hoo...
mueba.gif
bryanc
can you take just the turbo off? Then drill with grease, etc. Blow everything out after that?

Can you start it without the turbo attached?
Joe Bob
I also have a CHT.... flipa.gif
AND a wide band 02..... flipa.gif flipa.gif

And who let YOU back in the NON-Club....?

ohmy.gif
Twystd1
Mike,
650 degrees? On boost?

Dam thing is running to cold on the EGT. I B thinking you are running to fat or your timing is askew somewhere.

Or your EGT sender is way too far from the heads.

Are you sure the temps are correct?
AND I put the sender either in the collector before turbo or immediatly after the turbo. Which ever is handyier.
(I prefer in the collector)

Call Marty Skaggs tomorrow and ask his opinion.
Cause he is one of the best in the USA on aircooled turbos. IMHO.

Clayton
Twystd1
AND are you running a factory doghouse cooler?

With todays technology. There is no reason to havea hot #3 cylinder.

There are numerous work arounds for this. (DTM and others)

Fix it bro.

Clayton
Joe Bob
It's real rich.....I JUST today got the gauge in there. I need to do some tweaking on the EFI knobs.....
pray.gif
Yer welcome to come up and visit.... pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
wbergtho
Howie,

I enjoy your posts! smilie_pokal.gif av-943.gif
Trekkor
The type one motor #3 problem is due to the thin case casting not heat. Cracks develop.

People tig up the case with a filler blank.

KT
alpha434
QUOTE (messix @ Mar 17 2006, 08:46 AM)
put grease on the drill bit and dont drill at high speed. drill a little and clean the chips, regrease and drill a little.

Don't grease it!!! That'll make the metal chips stick to the inside and make them impossible to clean out. Use wd-40 as a cutting fluid, since it will dry. That's if you absolutely have to use a cutting fluid, and you won't if you go slow and steady. Then just use a vacuum on the hole you made you suck all the chips out. And feel free to let the turbine spin while you do. Turbulence in the pipe will make it easier to get all the chips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.