Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 heat solution for water engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quilmes
I was thinking about building a 914 with a Subaru WRX Flat 4cyl, SVX 3.3 6cyl or Honda V-6 water cooled engines as discuss on this thread.

Question:
What type of heater are you using to heat/warm the interior of the car on those cold days.
Electric heater???
Could one hook up a heat sourse to use the A/C blower and suply hot air to it wacko.gif ???

Thanks biggrin.gif
Quilmes
marks914
I use a corvette heater core and another cold air intake blower to push air through the stock vents. See my webshots for some pics.
Mark

914fan
I do not have a water car, but I bet iff you removed the intake air supply behind the gas tank you could fit some "vintage air" system there. I bet you could even plumb a heater core into the stock area to provide some heat. remember it is a small car and dosent need much. I have no heater in mine and even on the coldest mornings My body heat makes it warm enough inside within 15 min to open the window. Some mornings get into the 50 and I have had ICE on the windows several times. Dont let my location fool you. With some imagination I would be willing to bet that something could be made to work with the stock setup. Just follow the air path from the grill to the vents and put it somewhere.
mongrel-gs
I have a suby 2.5 and use a version of this heater mounted back beside the trans with ducts running to the stock heater inlets at the firewall. ~ $130.

At some point I will be moving it into the cab and run the ducts to the vent controls behind the tank.

Evan
Dr Evil
Evan, where do you get one of those?
MattR
I use one of these :

user posted image

Dont worry, if you dont like this one, they come in different sizes and shapes. In fact, I think they have different colors too, so you can match the rest of your interior!

biggrin.gif

spank.gif
mrdezyne
Jegs as a variety of universal heaters. I think they are called Mojave heaters or somthing. they are listed under the cooling section....
mongrel-gs
Jegs and Summit. The Mojave is ~160, the Summit is ~130. There is also a cheap version made by Southern Rods that I got for ~100, but the fan/heat output is kind of low... the reason I'll be moving the core to the inside.

Evan
jsteele22
QUOTE (Quilmes @ Mar 17 2006, 01:08 PM)
I was thinking about building a 914 with a Subaru WRX Flat 4cyl, SVX 3.3 6cyl or Honda V-6 water cooled engines as discuss on this thread.

Question:
What type of heater are you using to heat/warm the interior of the car on those cold days.
Electric heater???
Could one hook up a heat sourse to use the A/C blower and suply hot air to it wacko.gif ???

Thanks biggrin.gif
Quilmes

To me, it seems crazy to use electric power (which comes, very inefficiently, from the engine output via the alternator) and not use free heat from the coolant, which has to get dumped somewhere anyways. (OTOH, electric heaters warm up real fast....)

Also, I'd like to hear from someone who has done this, but I imagine that the front-mounted radiator keeps the front trunk fairly warm, and the coolant circulating under the floor pan will provide some radiant heat from below, and as always, the engine bay right behind you is pretty well heated. And as 914fan mentioned, there isn't that much volume to heat anyways. So my guess is that a very small heater core would do the job nicely. One suggestion I've heard is to use a motorcycle radiator.

Also, one little pointer I read on this board that probably bears repeating : don't run your (pressurized) coolant lines through the cabin ! If you've ever seen a radiator hose blow, you can imagine why...
turbo914v8
RH has a really good kit for adding heat to the v8 914. It replaces the factory blower box between the wipers. It's kind of on the expensive side and could be fabricated at a much lower cost if you’re willing to do the work. Just my .02

turbo914v8
What's up here ohmy.gif Some one want to take a stab at re-sizing these pic's for me. All my attempts have failed blink.gif
Andyrew
here.
Andyrew
two
Andyrew
three
Andyrew
four
Andyrew
My solution will be simular. except it will pull from the fresh air spot/ cowl. and I will be using a oil cooler, not water..

This way I can get (unfortunately) uber hot air, and I can cool the oil for the track.. (v8's dont like that stress..)

Andrew
turbo914v8
Thanks
Quilmes
Thank you all, there seems to be a lot of options, I will look into them and see which system Electric or water will work better for my set up.

I know that the 914 is small on the inside, but somtimes one like to drive with the top off and the only heat I have is from the oil lines running inside my heater tubes and this is not enough.

T biggrin.gif hanks
Quilmes
Andyrew
You can use your oil cooler as the heat generator like I said I'll be doing...

Same thing as posted above, just replace the water piece with an oil cooler...

Simple.
elocke
Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking into heat lately and you've shown me some good economical options. I had heard the Renegade setup replaces the fresh air box and can supply hot or fresh air but I don't want to spend much. I want to keep the car as stock as possible (V8-yeah, right!) and use the stock controls. I also didn't want to spend days in the boneyards breaking open heater cores (unless someone knows one that will work) Here's a pic of a setup I made using home baseboard heater pieces, a fan, sheet metal, and a hose. I just did the drivers side to try it. Under the fan is routed to the stock port in the corner of the engine bay. The water is always on and the fan will work off the lever in the cockpit. I suspected it wouldn't exchange well and it doesn't. I think I need a tighter core or another row. Also the intake air can get stinky because my engine's a little stinky. I was thinking of adding another layer of heat exchanger and ducting in the air from somewhere else, or finding another core that is close in size (7" x 7"). The fan pushes pretty well for an axial...375 cfm and 5amp draw, but I heard axial fans aren't good for building pressure. McMaster has a cool looking in-line blower that might blow better, or the stock fan ('cept I used that space)
Ed
Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.