Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
When I bought my car, I got four red keys. (vallet keys) Two red keys operate the ignition and one each of the other keys opens each door. None of the keys lock the trunk, glove box lock or the front hood lock. Can the dealers provide a key from the serial number of the car as in American car?
TheCabinetmaker
Purchase a lock keying kit and change all the locks to fit the same key. Why do I need a valet key? Nobody parks my car but me!
sj914
Where would one find a lock keying kit?
Qarl

At a lock keying kit store!

Seriously... I've seen them on E-bay. Perhaps at a locksmith store locally.

Or you can just take your lock cylinders to a locksmith and have him/her redo them to match.

There is nothing different about the cut pattern of the red and black keys. I think the cross-section of the keys are different.

I had a red key only two 914s ago and I took a black blank and had a locksmith cut it from the red key and it worked! Just make sure the original is not too worn.

Karl
TheCabinetmaker
I got mine from Tweeks a few years ago. I think they are available from the dealerships, or try your local locksmith shop, or local p car mechanic.
tracks914
QUOTE(sj914 @ Sep 10 2003, 06:17 PM)

Ditto!!! MDB2.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
Aaron Cox
door keys have 3 grooves and ignition and trunk keys have 1 groove i think- i may be a little off wink.gif my locksmith had porsche/audi generic keys- good enuff for me boldblue.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The grooves in the keys are the only difference in the valet keys. You change the pins in the cylinders to fit the cuts in the key. You can take all the locks off, take them to your local locksmith and he can change them for you. About $10.00 per lock. Just have all locks keyed to your ignition key.
tracks914
What about the key blanks I see on evilbay all the time? 2 grooves or 3 or do you know? MDB2.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Notice the owners key(black) is flat on the right. The red key(valet) has an offset. This offset allows the key to work only on the doors and ignition. The glove box, and trunks need the wider flat part on the right to operate. The "cuts" are identical on both keys. Both key blanks are available from your local p car guy or from any mail order parts place. Should be less than $15.00
-P-
QUOTE(kellzey @ Sep 10 2003, 08:22 PM)

At a lock keying kit store!

Seriously... I've seen them on E-bay. Perhaps at a locksmith store locally.

Or you can just take your lock cylinders to a locksmith and have him/her redo them to match.

There is nothing different about the cut pattern of the red and black keys. I think the cross-section of the keys are different.

I had a red key only two 914s ago and I took a black blank and had a locksmith cut it from the red key and it worked! Just make sure the original is not too worn.

Karl

Good to know. Mine only came with a the valet key so I gotta grab me a nice master blank and go have it cut.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. You can cut a black key from a red key.

I have an ignition key that is different from the rest. If my ignition key is lost or stolen, they still can't unlock my doors or get in my trunk.
tracks914
If what you are saying is correct, then I should be able to take the "red vallet" ignition key to a lock shop, have them put that cut on a black single groove key and it might just work in my trunk, glove box and front hood as well as the ignition?
seanery
yup
ein 6er
i also only had the red key when i bought mine. i got a couple of black keys from PP and had them cut from the red ones. they work fine.

the kid cutting the keys didn't want to do it at first because the grooves are different.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, but only if all locks are still keyed the same. If a lock has been changed by a PO, then the lock cylinder can be made to fit the key.

What does the red key operate now?
tracks914
Cool beerchug.gif Going to try that tomorrow. Not that it will make any difference right now cause the car still doesn't have and engine...or tranny...or dashboard...but some day soon all my parts will be in and I can finish reassembling it in time to store it for winter. mad.gif
But next summer watch out MDB2.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
ein 6er
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Sep 11 2003, 05:40 PM)
in time to store it for winter. mad.gif

it's words like that, that make me glad i'm in florida!! wavey.gif
tracks914
We are lucky if we don't have salt on the roads before November 01. All "keeper" cars have to be tucked away for winter before then or else you can hear them rust in the driveway. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.