Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: safe highway cruising speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I have a 73 2.0L stock FI rolling on 195/50/15 - some other engine add on's that I don't know would add tons of power that would make a diffrence

I really am just wanting to know so I don't push it too hard for too long a period of time burnout.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Twystd1
Oil temp, head temp and the state of tune on the engine dictates my speed.

Cause heat kills...................

Twystd1
effutuo101
True Twystd 1. My favorite crusing speed is right about 80. My wifes is 110-120, and my son starts smiling when the car starts and we are going out for a quick trip. So, Keep it in good tune and clean, blow the dust off of the paint and don't spend to long in traffic w/o a head temp sensor. driving.gif
Rand
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Mar 17 2006, 07:48 PM)
Oil temp, head temp and the state of tune on the engine dictates my speed.

Cause heat kills...................

Twystd1

Yup. Get a head temp gauge if you don't have one.
CB Performance has a decent deal.
rhodyguy
80 is perfect if you can get away with it. my motor seems to have a sweet spot at around 3.6 to 3.8k rpm. i have no idea what my head and oil temps are, but it runs (good). i'm sure i have cursed it now.

k

alpha434
4000 in 4th would be about the sweet spot. You're pushing nearly the maximum amount of air through the fan that you'll get before it starves and not pushing the engine too hard. That's about 80-90. Makes the engine purr, makes me feel good.
Brando
I'm running 195/55/15s and I cruise on the highway at 3400 to 3600 (that'd be 75-80 on those short tires).
sean_v8_914
Jake Raby mentioned that his test data had shown the stock fan to stall or cavitate at "X" RPM
Does anyone remember the value of "X"?
Howard
Oil temp at 235f. Slow down if it gets higher or blue lights come on behind you biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.