Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for enlarged exhaust Stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srb7f
Snapped a rusted off exhaust stud off, and ended up mangling the threaded hole to get the remnants out. Anybody know where I can buy an exhaust stud with one end enlarged to 10mm diameter? Any other solutions you guys have done in the past? Thanks, Steve

Joe Bob
I used a heli coil...how bad is it?
Brian Mifsud
McMaster-Carr has everything. If you can't find one with the "mixed sizes", you can fix the buggered up hole with a helicoil.

Otherwise, it can be welded up, bored and retapped to orginal if you are concerned about originality.

McMaster-Carr

I found quite a few pieces of obscure metric hardware for my Moto Guzzi restoration 10 years ago which were PERFECT replacements.
john rogers
Try to find a VW or off road parts shop as they carry those studs. In the San Diego area they sell them at VParts among others. They also come in different lengths.
srb7f
The heli-coil is my last resort, as it would indeed work. I'm not concerned about originality, but I just figure a larger stud would have greater strength from a greater length of thread; I heli-coiled one of them on the 1.8 I have in the car right now, and it usually threads out everytime I drop the exhaust. Since I'm in no hurry, I should be able to find the stud for the 2.0 that's going in in the next couple months. Steve
Aaron Cox
FAT performance
Car craft in riverside CA

try raby first....
Al Meredith
I beleive AA sells a 9MM (first cut) and a 10MM stud. It is 8MM on the manifold side.
Jake Raby
I have 8mm versions, 9mm versions and the whopper at 10mm . All these are chromoly steel and won't break!
Bartlett 914
Heli coils can pull out. I had one that was ruined. I used a threaded insert. This is a called a "KeyLock Thread repair kit". I got it from McMaster Carr. You drill out the hole for a 12 x 1.25mm thread. I needed to grind my tap to get to the bottom. The insert is threaded in this hole. There is then a tool that is in the kit that is used to drive 4 small keys that are along the outside of the insert. This Locks the insert in place. The Insert is Stainless Steel. This was not cheap but made a very good repair.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.