Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Centerline Wheel I.D.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Faust
I just rescued a set of very wide wheels off a 914 Chalon. These are definitely "Centerline" style, but there is no name on them. They are at least two piece, possibly three (there is a wide bead of silicone down the center which I haven't dug out, so I can't completely see construction). At the very center, around the hub opening, there is small lettering as to weight limits and the use of bias ply tires. They are held together by stainless rivets.

Sorry, don't have a picture yet.

Can anyone tell me how to ID these if they are Centerlines?
Mueller
Real Centerlines should have "Centerline" embossed/stamped into them......

I'd be leary of using them with modern Radial tires if they are designed for lower stress bias ply tires...

Personally I'd send them off the recyclers to be melted down and be less of a hazard on the street....
Porcharu
The real "plain old Centerline" wheels will have "Centerline" stamped around the hub center. They will also have real rivets holding them together. If not the wheels are probably crap knockoffs that should be recycled into beer cans or lawn chairs.
Faust
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 18 2006, 12:16 AM)
The real "plain old Centerline" wheels will have "Centerline" stamped around the hub center.  They will also have real rivets holding them together.  If not the wheels are probably crap knockoffs that should be recycled into beer cans or lawn chairs.

I had better look around the hub center some more. There are "real rivets", they appear to be stainless. There is no question that the wheels are at least two piece. All of that silicone at the joint in the wheel must be covering something.

Here is a clickable thumbnail of one of the front wheels while still on the car:

user posted image

Here is one of the larger rear wheels:

user posted image

The remainder of the wheels have center caps. The center caps have a crest similar to the Porsche crest, but, you wouldn't confuse them. It is too bad that Dr. Porsche didn't live to see the "Porsche crest", I think he would have liked it.
URY914
THese are Joe's C-lines...
URY914
These are my fakes
URY914
This is off thier site...
John Kelly
If I remember right, the early Centerlines do not have centerline stamped in them.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
SirAndy
QUOTE (Faust @ Mar 18 2006, 12:57 AM)
Here is a clickable thumbnail of one of the front wheels while still on the car

haha, that's funny! we have seen this car here before, we picked it apart pretty good and i remember someone said to go and get it and use the wheels and dump the rest ...

good to see someone went for it!
biggrin.gif Andy
Faust
Here is a pic of the center cap. The "CL" satisifies me that it is a Centerline. Any disputes?

It is sitting on a Volvo 262 wheel, don't let that confuse you.

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.