Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another (minor) 3.3 turbo update...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
Nothing too big this time, but I did manage to locate the turbo! (Just for you, Roger... dry.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif )

I had stowed it safely away; so safely I couldn't find it... headbang.gif

Took a few pics showing the (very) general location where it will live...

Also put it on the scales for the first time in the build.

(Drum roll please...)

1500 lbs. as it sits. dry.gif Hmm...

Seemed kinda porky to me... But after some thought it seems pretty much on target to finish up under 2000 lbs. (I would love to see 1900! laugh.gif ) It still has the late model steel doors (with the Armco door bars) that will be replaced with 'glass. There is also a bunch of the original sheet metal up front that will be going away. The only major bits left are the fuel cell, oil tanks, their related plumbing, wiring and the exhaust system. Careful design with those things and a general weight reduction program overall and we should be okay...

...he said hopefully! biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way, the corner balance was nearly spot-on! Which is interesting since we pretty much just bolted the wheels on and left it at that... confused24.gif cool_shades.gif smile.gif

Turbo pics:
Mugs914
This is more or less where the turbo is going to go. The CIS unit will be moved off to one side so the intercooler can be placed over the center of the engine.
Mugs914
The exhaust will curve up right behind the cyliders on either side of the bellhousing and come together in a "Y" just ahead of the turbo. The wastegate pipe will come off at the Y.

The turbo and wastegate exhaust pipes will go straight out the rear.
Mugs914
One last shot. The "over the clutch and throught the woods" exhaust system will keep all intake and exhaust runs as short as possible to reduce lag and weight...

A few more pics in the blog.
Andyrew
Thats a good sized turbo... Tell us some specs!

very interesting location for it to...

Possibly something I could do for my sbc..

Andrew
Dr. Roger
Yes! I like the thought of keeping the turbo's plumbing shorter.
you are a braver man than I. (chuckling)

That car is going to be a monster when stomping the throttle. LOL smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

just curious: how do you weigh your car? special scales? I ask because i will want to corner balance my car after she get's on the road again and will start looking for how/where to do it. cool.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 18 2006, 01:42 AM)
Thats a good sized turbo... Tell us some specs!

very interesting location for it to...

Possibly something I could do for my sbc..

Andrew

Here is what I know right now. If anyone knows more about it please let me know!

I'm still looking into the actual numbers, but what I know is that it's a KKK K-27-11.11, and it was used by Andial (and others, I suppose) as an upgrade to the stock K-26. It's more efficient at higher boost levels than a K-26. According to what I have read (Bruce Anderson), the K-27 -11.11 is a low-end trim turbo designed to provide more low-end boost as opposed to a K-27-16 that makes more high-end, or a K-27-13 that provides more mid range. I suspect that the last number indicates the turbine housing size, the smaller housing causing it to spool a bit quicker. The center section of all of these is the same, the difference being the turbine and compressor and the housings. All of these bits are intechangeable. I like a lot of low end for getting out of corners so I'm going to stay with the -11.11, but I can change the trim to adjust the boost range later if I need to.

This particular engine is supposed to have been modified by Andial into a fairly hot street trim before the car was wrecked (perhaps the reason it wrecked??) and the turbo would seem to indicate this was the case. There are other clues too, but I'll have a better idea when I get into the engine itself and check the cams and such.

Here's a pretty lousey shot of the data plate, but most of the numbers are legible:
Mugs914
That car is going to be a monster when stomping the throttle. LOL smilie_pokal.gif  :trophy:

I certainly hope so!! calvin.gif burnout.gif

just curious: how do you weigh your car?  special scales?  I ask because i will want to corner balance my car after she get's on the road again and will start looking for how/where to do it.  B)

We used four individual scales, one per wheel, just as if we were going to corner balance the thing. The ones we used are called Ruggles Scales. They are basically a bathroom scale with a 4:1 lever arm theat goes under each wheel. You just read the scale, multiply by four, then add all four corners for total weight. Electronic scales are more accurate for doing corner balancing and such, but you can get pretty good results with these things, and they are just fine getting an overall weight. They are also a lot cheaper than the electronic types.

Not sure where you are located (Haven't run your coordinates yet) but just about any race shop can corner balance your car for you. Just be sure to take a magazine. It does take a while to dial things in and you need to be sitting in the car while they are doing it!
byndbad914
Mike... good to see you are making progress! So, did you move the engine forward some? Looks like the tranny is further forward than I remember from previous pix, and you said you planned on moving everything forward at Joe's BBQ.

Also, you may have posted this before, but what HP are you hoping to see with this setup?
Joe Bob
K27 is pretty standard on 930s......

BTW...If anyone needs one....I have an extra T3 sitting in the parts bin....
Mugs914
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 19 2006, 01:29 PM)
Mike... good to see you are making progress! So, did you move the engine forward some? Looks like the tranny is further forward than I remember from previous pix, and you said you planned on moving everything forward at Joe's BBQ.

Also, you may have posted this before, but what HP are you hoping to see with this setup?

Thanks! Yup, everything got moved forward about 1.25" from where it was sitting before. I bent the 911 engine mount bar toward the engine and added a tubular strut that runs from one end of the mount to the other to keep it from flexing.

As for power, the PO said that the engine was warmed over by Andial to make 400 - 420hp in a daily driver on pump gas. The plan is to install the engine pretty much as it is except for inlet and exhaust mods to make it fit in the 914. Once its running and the chassis and aero bits are all dialed in I'll start working on making more power.

Eventually I'd like to have around 550 -600hp calvin.gif

Okay, make it 700 and a big sprint car wing on top....
TimT
Eventually I'd like to have around 550 -600hp

Dont want to burst your bubble, but 475 is about max you can get out of a CIS 930, and even that is pushing the limit

Aaron Cox
mike you are an insane person....

missed ya at the breakfast yesterday...

i may make it to CA speedway
Mugs914
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 19 2006, 07:57 PM)
Eventually I'd like to have around 550 -600hp

Dont want to burst your bubble, but 475 is about max you can get out of a CIS 930, and even that is pushing the limit

No worries, I had no bubble to burst... I would be surprised to see a figure as high as 475 with CIS...

I almost said something in that post about going to twin turbos, Motec or other EMS, race fuel, heads... You know, the usual $uspects...

biggrin.gif
TimT
I almost said something in that post about going to twin turbos, Motec or other EMS, race fuel, heads... You know, the usual $uspects...

Yoiu can go to EMS and keep most of the CIS intake. You replace the phenolic blocks with billet aluminum blocks that have injector bungs on them

This lowers the price of entry to EFI a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.