Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: extreme cool find in Germany
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gustl
got info about a really cool car in Germany
just read the text:

His toy is a '70 porsche 914-6, colour is (original) conda-green, rims 7x15 (911R). The car retired in 1977 and was stored away ever since. First owner was Gerd Quist, a well known racedriver for the MaxMoritz-Team in the 70s who used this gem as his private car. Being also serviced by MaxMoritz it wouldn't stay stock for a long period of time. Engine tune-up went for a 2,2l with 185PS, 911-S brake-calipers, a 914-GT suspension and much more bits and pieces "off the shelf" were fitted in these early days. So this car is absolutely unique. Although being one of the most ugly sportscars ever created, this one really got my heart.

o.k. - the last sentence is absolutely bs.gif - but who cares biggrin.gif

Gustl
2nd
Gustl
just to remember - this famous GT was driven by Gerd Quist

Gustl
'nuther
craig downs
I don't understand why 914's are labled ugly by so many people.
I can remember I was 13 when these cars came out and when I first saw one I fell in love with them the way they looked.
When I got mine 7 years later I never had so much fun driving a car.
I even still have it today
Hammy
QUOTE (craig downs @ Mar 18 2006, 01:26 AM)
I can remember I was 13 when these cars came out and when I first saw one I fell in love with them the way they looked.

agree.gif
The first time I laid eyes on a 914, which was my 914 i have now, I fell in love. I love boxy looking cars. These ricey, slick, bubbly looking cars today make me icon8.gif
biggrin.gif
MattR
They're ugly. Compare it to a 911... its a hideous car compared to the perfect shape of a long hood.

I'm selling my longhood 912 to keep my bastard 914. I love it that much more because nobody else does. Its like going for the gimpy fat chick at a party...
Hammy
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 18 2006, 02:29 AM)
Its like going for the gimpy fat chick at a party...

laugh.gif
I think that's more along the lines of desperate..
davep
When was Conda green an original color?
VIN ???????????
michel richard
I think Conda green was never a 914 color. It was a 1971 911 color, IIRC, but was used on at least a few 914/6 GT cars, whether or not by the factory, I don't know.
Allan
I wonder how available those rear bumpers with the wide license plate recess are in europe.

I may need one in the fairly near future.
grantsfo
QUOTE (craig downs @ Mar 18 2006, 01:26 AM)

Perhaps because 914's ARE ugly? I liked AMC Gremlins and Hillman IMPs in the 1970's does that make them pretty? biggrin.gif
ChicagoPete
Are those 5 bolt Fuchs on the VW bus on the other trailer? If they are....that is a trick setup for a bus!

The 2 cars must be a pair?

Looks like the 914-6 has also got a GT engine lid...that's not stock either.
davep
QUOTE (michel richard @ Mar 18 2006, 06:10 AM)
I think Conda green was never a 914 color. It was a 1971 911 color, IIRC, but was used on at least a few 914/6 GT cars, whether or not by the factory, I don't know.

I agree it was never an official stock color, but the writer claims it was original. Perhaps it was a custom job to start with. If so, that adds another to my list of custom 'factory' colors. I always like to learn more about such things. VIN is very important, then comes the color number on the Karmann badge. I don't have a 914/6 with a custom color number yet. All the 914/4 I know of are from 1972 and later.

For a green it is very nice. Grasshopper color perhaps?
SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Mar 18 2006, 08:10 AM)
For a green it is very nice. Grasshopper color perhaps?

agree.gif

conda green is darker, like the GT in the other pics ...

nice find!
cool.gif Andy
914Sixer
I though you could order any color you wanted if you supplied the color chip. I think the added cost was about $195 in 73 because I was going to special order one.
Gustl
QUOTE (ChicagoPete @ Mar 18 2006, 04:40 PM)
Looks like the 914-6 has also got a GT engine lid...that's not stock either.

this car was modified by Max Moritz with lots of GT parts
it also has some Carrera 6 parts (open air intakes, flywheel, ...)

currently it has less than 60k original km (about 37,500 miles)
it was stored in the underfloor garage of Max Moritz since 1978

I guess it was no problem for Max Moritz to get a factory original /6 in "their" standard colour "conda green" - they had very good relations to the Porsche factory
the colour might look very shiny on these pics, because the car got a new paint

gfulcher
I believe it was either Automobile or Motor Trend Magazine back in 1970 that stated the 914 has "the grace of an erector set"...

Personally, I think the 914 is enjoying a bit of a renaissance right now, and like many others, I fell in love with the lines when I was very young.

But, 'ugly' is relative.. My other fun-car is a '73 VW THING..

-greg-

JPB
QUOTE (Gustl @ Mar 18 2006, 03:28 AM)
got info about a really cool car in Germany
just read the text:

His toy is a '70 porsche 914-6, colour is (original) conda-green, rims 7x15 (911R). The car retired in 1977 and was stored away ever since. First owner was Gerd Quist, a well known racedriver for the MaxMoritz-Team in the 70s who used this gem as his private car. Being also serviced by MaxMoritz it wouldn't stay stock for a long period of time. Engine tune-up went for a 2,2l with 185PS, 911-S brake-calipers, a 914-GT suspension and much more bits and pieces "off the shelf" were fitted in these early days. So this car is absolutely unique. Although being one of the most ugly sportscars ever created, this one really got my heart.

o.k. - the last sentence is absolutely bs.gif - but who cares biggrin.gif

The 914 was never ugly specially once someone got behind the stearing wheel and got to the heart of the beast . Beauty is skin deep and as for a sports car, it was ahead of it's time in looks and drivability! Who the hell wants a rear or front engine car anyway? alfred.gif
Rrrockhound
QUOTE (craig downs @ Mar 18 2006, 04:26 AM)

I wish somebody like an art student or a designer would do an analysis of the 914's styling to explain why it's NOT ugly. Kinda like those features Motor Trend does on certain new cars where they point out every little design element and explain why it works.
ChicagoPete
Hey Wolfgang,

I have seen some of your previous posts in addition to this one...You seem to favor the GT's and some unique 914/6's...

Did this 914/6 just change hands? Any idea of the price?

Peter
Gustl
Hi Peter,
you're right - I really love all that mystery concerning teeners
no matter if it's about the 916, or 914-6 GTs, or 914 LE/GT/SL or just strange things on "normal" teeners biggrin.gif

this one was sold in Nov 2005 - sorry, no price info
here are 2 pics of the car after it left the storage where it sat since 1978
it was the underfloor garage from Max Moritz in Reutlingen (Germany)

the pics were taken at the new owners place
Gustl
watch the front spoiler on the valance and the big Porsche crest on the hood
there is still the original license plate on the car

here's the back side - see the strange antenna and the Porsche script on the rear lid - similar like on the Monte Carlo GTs
Gustl
but now the best - I've also got a pic from the paint code tag
it says 26G (difficult to read, but the guy who took the photo told me so) which is the code for conda green at the 911s

see this list

Brad Roberts
I cant believe they used the rear tow hook to tie the car down on the trailer.

Thanks for the pictures.

B
ChicagoPete
Brad, I do not think the tow hook is being used as a tie down, just as added security!

Wolfgang, I really enjoy your posts. This is obviously is a really special car. I often wonder where some of the "special" 914/6's are??? Like the ones they used for practice on the Targa Florio?

Do you ever come across anyone selling any of the rare parts associated with the GT's?

I am almost finished with a build of pretty accurate GT in the #1 Marathon livery...I cut up a perfectly good, all original 914/6 to have this built. Actually the car should have had the alignment today and if the weather is good enough driven...almost 280HP. Most of this is documented on Armando's site:
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_9146gt_r...rs_pete_jenkins

Regards,
Peter

davep
QUOTE (Gustl @ Mar 20 2006, 09:00 AM)
but now the best - I've also got a pic from the paint code tag
it says 26G

Gustl,
Now that is very interesting. The lilac car had the same thing, but it was repainted by the factory years later I believe. So rather than using code 98 Karmann actually used the proper paint code? Now that has an obvious repaint, however the badge itself has that paint on it so it must have been a repaint of the previous color at least.

Okay, on to the chassis # please. Thanks my friend.
ein 6er
good stuff gustl!!! thanks for posting it. i'd love to hear the price!!!

here are a couple of the MM car at the 12 hrs this past weekend. didn't get any pics on track, headbang.gif , this is the current owner gasing it up after running out during the SVRA race. he looked little embarassed. laugh.gif
ein 6er
ein 6er
history
ein 6er
history
ein 6er
history
McMark
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Mar 20 2006, 09:26 AM)
I cant believe they used the rear tow hook to tie the car down on the trailer.

Thanks for the pictures.

B

I think they just used it to pull it up on the trailer. It is connected to a winch. wink.gif But STILL! ohmy.gif

The color tag doesn't appear to have a chassis number stamped on it. Forgery?
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 20 2006, 05:06 PM)

nope, replacement. you can get the blank tags from porsche/karman ...

the car was probably re-tagged with the 911 color code when it was repainted by MM ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Bleyseng
I liked the car in the background.....just like the one I had. 1500S SB

biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 20 2006, 05:06 PM)

The 914/6 does not have a chassis # on the Karmann badge.
The paint code is not the same series as the usual codes seen in a 914/6. In fact the 914/6 uses about 3 different codes and this appears to be a fourth type. Lord knows how they kept track of the paint codes because I am quite confused.
SGB
The 914's lines are way ahead of it's time. The shape was primarily dictated by the length of the roof. That was kept to a functional minimum- cover two occcupants and a roll hoop structure. The engine rode under the hoop. Then the trunk was long enough to hold the roof. Wheels pushed out to the extreme edges. Straight lines with little ornamentation. Mostly just rectangles with radiused edges. Not perfectly square but nominally parallel lines - just the slightest rise over the rear wheel- ala 718 or RS spyder- but resolved into what was the signature type 901 (911) style squared around that roof shaped trunk. The raised front markers are another allusion to the 901 headlight bulge- in a reduced and more angular perportion to follow the overall theme. Look at todays cars- scions & mitsus & smarts or wjatever. Its all there- wheels at edges, slab sides, form folllows function is in. We already knew the car was all about function anyway.
michel richard

Does anybody know what the paint code is for the orange part of the bumper ? Care to guess ?
ChicagoPete
Doug, The Meaney car that you have pictured changed hands a few years ago...the listing was on race-cars.com:
http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/porsche/9...t6/914gt6ss.htm

Michael, I have looked a bit into these bumper colors...using the Collier car as a guide and what we decided on was just pick a color that looks right against the the black half and against the color of your car. Mine was done in yellow and there were different shades of yellow that did not look right with the signal orange. It definately had to be a flat.

Although someone else may have some input on this...

Peter
Gustl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 21 2006, 02:20 AM)
the car was probably re-tagged with the 911 color code when it was repainted by MM ...

if so, why is the code for conda green on it?
I'd say, if they painted it green at MM and re-tagged it, the tag shouldn't have green paint on it idea.gif

possibly the car was really original conda green and got repainted in conda green in its early days confused24.gif
nein14
That GT resides in Pa., it belongs to Steve from Air Cooled Racing.

You can see it at the Hershey Swap Meet in April it is always there, he does a lot of Vintage Racing with it.

Very Cool in person!!!!!! aktion035.gif
michel richard
QUOTE (ChicagoPete @ Mar 21 2006, 05:52 AM)

Michael, I have looked a bit into these bumper colors...using the Collier car as a guide and what we decided on was just pick a color that looks right against the the black half and against the color of your car. Mine was done in yellow and there were different shades of yellow that did not look right with the signal orange. It definately had to be a flat.

Although someone else may have some input on this...

Peter

You mean the best way is simply to eyeball it ? And both the black and the secondary color on the bumper should be flat ?
davep
QUOTE (ChicagoPete @ Mar 21 2006, 05:52 AM)
I have looked a bit into these bumper colors...using the Collier car as a guide and what we decided on was just pick a color that looks right against the the black half and against the color of your car. Mine was done in yellow and there were different shades of yellow that did not look right with the signal orange. It definately had to be a flat.

The colours were chosen to quickly identify which team car was pitting at a significant distance. At night a 'dayglo' colour would stand out much better. Now I don't know that any car ever used a 'dayglo' paint in this application.

Based on the presumption that it was used to differentiate team cars that had otherwise identical colour schemes and decals there is no great need to do it to every replica GT. It is nice eye candy for sure, and I don't say not to do it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Mar 21 2006, 08:01 AM)
I'd say, if they painted it green at MM and re-tagged it, the tag shouldn't have green paint on it

i think it was repainted more than once since MM originally got the car ...

wink.gif Andy
Gustl
today I got the info, that they have the COA and it says "Condagrün"
I asked him to send me a scan - I hope he will do so

i think it was repainted more than once since MM originally got the car ...

but you know that the car was stored away in the underfloor garage of the MM Museum in 1977 and stayed there untouched till Nov 2005?

I don't think that the car was repainted very often in just 7 years, always belonged to MM and never raced ...

cool_shades.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Mar 27 2006, 04:10 AM)
today I got the info, that they have the COA and it says "Condagrün"
I asked him to send me a scan - I hope he will do so

that would be cool!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
ChicagoPete
Wolfgang,
See if you can get a price from him as well??

What do you know about the cars they used for practice/thrashed on the Targa Florio, are they still around, anyone own these? Any documentation of these cars?

Would seem that those cars would be historically significant...almost as important as the 914/6's that were used in the celebrity race at Ontario?

Have never seen a 914/6 come for sale represented as either of these?

Peter

davep
A significant 914/6 with good racing history would go for about $100,000 and some would be double that.
Gustl
QUOTE (ChicagoPete @ Mar 28 2006, 12:50 AM)
What do you know about the cars they used for practice/thrashed on the Targa Florio, are they still around, anyone own these?  Any documentation of these cars?

Targa Florio '70 practice cars:

914/39 914.0.43.0705 [S - U 3908] signalorange => Peter Gregg, USA => Brumos, USA
914/40 914.0.43.0709 [S - U 3909] signalorange => used for Monte Carlo '71 practice => ???

Targa Florio '71 practice cars:

914/50 914.0.43.2542 [S - W 1948] signalorange => used for Monte Carlo '71 practice & Marathon d.l. Route '70 RACE CAR #2 => Miles Collier Collection, USA
914/51 914.0.43.2543 [S - W 1949] signalorange => used for Monte Carlo '71 practice & Marathon d.l. Route '70 RACE CAR #3 => ???

Targa Florio '71 pre-practice cars:

914/56 914.1.43.0139 [S - Y 7714] signalorange => Monte Carlo '71 RACE CAR #3 => destroyed by factory (15. Sept 1972)
914/57 914.1.43.0140 [S - Y 7715] signalorange => Monte Carlo '71 RACE CAR #17 => ONS Safety Car
914/58 914.1.43.0141 [S - Y 7716] signalorange => Monte Carlo '71 RACE CAR #1 => perfectyl restored and for sale now (about EUR 250,000)

wavey.gif Gustl
Teknon
That's my rear bumper, I never saw another one on another car before. wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.