Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This looks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
From the latest Pano.
Were you on vacation, Tim? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
It's a slant nose....God is telling them to fix it....
Jeroen
IIRC, that happened quite some time ago already (last year?)
and Tim posted pics of the aftermath...
Seagrave
Bad technique with that extinguisher. This is the before pic but we can't see the after. My bet is he expended the can trying to put it out from there. I gots news for ya, bub. You can't put it out from da outside!!!
Dave_Darling
I've put one of those out from the outside.... The bumper caught because some oil puked onto the turbo and it caught. Got the bumper put out and got enough "agent" onto the turbo without having to open the engine lid. They kept me on watch with the extinguisher in hand, though, just in case. The rest of the crew did clean-up.

The fire was not that big, though!

--DD
Randal
You can't put it out from da outside!!!

So what is the right way to put a fire like that out?

You know we have (properly charged) extinguishers at the autoX events, but never any instruction on how to use them.

DonTraver
Always shoot towards the base of the flames closest to you, sweep back and forth towards the other side, sort of like washing your driveway. Keep going until it's empty, if one won't put it out, you're pretty well screwed.

Later, Don
Mueller
QUOTE (Seagrave @ Mar 19 2006, 12:42 AM)
Bad technique with that extinguisher. This is the before pic but we can't see the after. My bet is he expended the can trying to put it out from there. I gots news for ya, bub. You can't put it out from da outside!!!

of all people to mention that, what about suppling more oxygen to the fire by opening up the lid??, more access, more fire?? smile.gif

J P Stein
That guy doesn't get paid enuff money to open that lid laugh.gif

TimT
LOL

ya thats our car..

The fire was caused by one of the left side chain tensioners studs pulling. this allowed pressurized oil to spray on the turbocharger. then a nice fireball when he stopped.

The car looked pretty cool dragging a 20' plume of fire though

We Used a Powerwasher we found in the Watkins Glen maintenance shop to wash all the extinguisher schmutz off the car, then cut the well done bodywork off the car, replaced some singed wires, and made the race

Starting last at Watkins Glen

Before:

TimT
After:

TimT
JP, it basically "buffed out"

by removing the whole rear cap, we removed a parachute
johannes
Very impressed by the video. The car is VERY fast !!! .
Trekkor
The video was great. You passed 8 cars in the first lap! ohmy.gif

love the turbo spooling up drooley.gif

KT
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 19 2006, 06:14 PM)
The video was great. You passed 8 cars in the first lap! ohmy.gif

love the turbo spooling up drooley.gif

KT

agree.gif
MattR
Did that car have fire suppression?
alpha434
JEEZE!!! That video was awesome.

Was it a reverse start or what? (Fastest qualifier in back)

Or did you fail to qualify because your car caught fire. Jeeze that was a quick car.

Turn, spool, pass. Turn, spool, pass.

Awesome beer.gif
TimT

Or did you fail to qualify because your car caught fire.

Yes we missed qualifying, because of the fire..

Starting last makes for good video av-943.gif

We have fire supression in the car, however Bill didnt fire it since we knew from the workers it was a turbo fire, didnt want to have to clean the front cockpits and rear of the car. I was on the radio with Bill talking to me in one ear, and the track officials in the other ear..While at speed you could barely see the fire..just like on tv where the announcers say "we think he's on fire" So Bill just stopped at a flag station and they got the fire out within seconds of him stopping.

This year was good for us.. we had some publicity in the club racing news and Pano, some of it good and some bad screwy.gif
Trekkor
icon_bump.gif

Bill, you gotta see that video.

KT
Mugs914
Awsome vid Tim! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Any specs on the car, or is it a secret? wink.gif

Motor, 'box, weight etc?
MattR
Wow, that car has a little pickup. Its not every day you see another porsche pass a gt3 cup car like it was standing still...

What class does that race in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.