Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Lemans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LongARM
this photo says it all , final 8 minutes of the race(in the movie) and the 914 is still going......

... smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
the "real" racing action in the movie was shot during the race of 1970
LongARM
i counted 2 914's in the beginning of the race....
several 911's .....
...did Porsche 917 actually win the Lemans...????
Gustl
a while ago I cut out the same scene of the movie, just a little moment before biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE (LongARM @ Mar 18 2006, 09:22 AM)
i counted 2 914's in the beginning of the race....
several 911's .....
...did Porsche 917 actually win the Lemans...????

Yes, the red and white 917 that is hardly shown at all in the movie. Driven by Attwood and Herrmann. It had a smaller 12 cylinder engine than the Gulf cars and the Long Tail driven by Vic Elford.
LongARM
thanx..... popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
White #40 won the GT class in 1970 at LeMans. Other GT class winners from the '60s include Ferrari GTOs and the 275 GTB as well as the Cobra Daytona coupe. That puts that 914/6 GT in fine company, even beating its 911 brethren across the finish line that year.
Mugs914
And it finished SIXTH overall! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Steve
And today its sitting over at Hergesheimers.
Every time I go over there I just stare at it and pay homage to the 914 King.
Joe Bob
Ya know....Hergesheimer's has a good rep and is a 914 promoter....but when I bought an eBay car from a guy via them...they were less than helpful.
JPB
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 19 2006, 10:01 AM)
Ya know....Hergesheimer's has a good rep and is a 914 promoter....but when I bought an eBay car from a guy via them...they were less than helpful.

You are strangly sick, yet extremely entertaining. agree.gif

My EX would be all over that an dshe could KMA.gif !
Joe Bob
Scary part is....I'm the normal one in the family.... dry.gif

Sorry for the hijack.... blink.gif
johannes
I made a video from the "le mans" movie, including all the shots where the 914 can bee seen ( the original and the copy).
The original had a red trim surrounding the windshield and also had a licence plate at the front. The one youre showing is the copy.

You can download the video from this page

http://www.914garage.com/video.htm

Was already a post about that.

914/6 Sonauto Le mans 1970

ClayPerrine
If you check the books about this, they actually made the whole race without any mechanical malfunction. The only things changed on the car were brake pads and tires.

I have yet to see a current endurance racer do that.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (johannes @ Mar 19 2006, 07:21 AM)
I made a video from the "le mans" movie, including all the shots where the 914 can bee seen ( the original and the copy).
The original had a red trim surrounding the windshield and also had a licence plate at the front. The one youre showing is the copy.

You can download the video from this page

http://www.914garage.com/video.htm

Was already a post about that.

914/6 Sonauto Le mans 1970

Great little short!!!! you guys gotta watch this.

Eric_Shea
even beating its 911 brethren across the finish line that year

So "THAT'S" why they stopped developing the 914. Talk about pissing the factory off laugh.gif

I always look back on that time and think about the cars that are winning the GT class now. One hell of a car... One HELL of a car. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
No....they stopped the 914 because of Federal bumper height and impact changes, smog changes, prices from VW/Karmann to Porsche increase because the VW president died, VW wanted to pull out, and a few other reasons......

All combined killed the car....no ONE reason did it.....

The LeMans win did keep the stock sixer HP below the 911 model though....
Scott Carlberg

user posted image
Eric_Shea
No....the stopped the 914 because of Federal bumper height and impact changes, smog changes, prices from VW/Karmann to Porsche increase because the VW president died, VW wanted to pull out, and a few other reasons......

All combined killed the car....no ONE reason did it.....

Hey-Zeus-Christo... the guy gets an 'Admin' title and all the sudden starts giving out 'DD style' answers. I already knew all that shit. rolleyes.gif

Go back ta drill'n out yur 'turbo' thingy... laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Ohhhh, that stings.....

I knew you knew that....the answer was fer da noobs that read this drivel..... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.