Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12 Hours of Sebring on Speed Channel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
Im watching the 12 Hours of Sebring and Audi is doing very well their new Diesel powered race car. So what's the advantage of running a Diesel race engine? Why would you want to?
rhodyguy
mountains of torque, and better fuel mileage?

k
davep
Probably fuel efficiency for one. Diesels probably get a break on displacement due to lower specific output. Adds a bit of torque probably. But I'm only guessing, and have not checked out the press releases.
DanT
Lower RPMs means longevity. Better fuel mileage to the tune of 2+ MPG. tons of torque, IIRC something in the neighborhood of 850#' plus.
Broader torque curve...less shifting, more grunt off of corners, less use of shifting mechanisms of tranny. biggrin.gif wink.gif
BKLA
Torque... torque and more torque!!!

The car will squirt out of the corners quicker, especially the Audi's with their well balanced aero/suspension package. I would love to see how well it runs on biodiesel. Imagine it smelling like french fries or peanuts as it went by!!!

On Another Note: My son's godfather (Andy Pilgrim) finished second in the Speed GT World Challenge yesterday for Team Cadillac. Hoo Yea! Not bad for a big ol' heavy american sedan! Max the Axe finished 15th after banging up the car
flag.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 18 2006, 09:17 AM)
Im watching the 12 Hours of Sebring and Audi is doing very well their new Diesel powered race car. So what's the advantage of running a Diesel race engine? Why would you want to?

Why? Because they can! Remember, a substantial percentage of their cars sold in Europe are diesels. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday", as the saying goes. The technology they pioneered in the R8, gasoline direct injection, gave them a HUGE advantage in power and economy, something that is now in the marketplace. European manufacturers anticipate a big market for their current generation diesels as soon as the US decides to clean up our nasty diesel. Current VW TDIs deliver 45-50 MPG in the real world, far more that hybrids can offer (though they promise it), and without the huge hit (premium) on the purchase price that hybrid buyers suffer. Get ready for the future! The Cap'n
Lou W
They say that it's real quiet and it doesn't smoke.
rhodyguy
any ideas how much fuel the tank(s) hold? 2mpg is pretty substancial over a 12 or 24 hour race. i bet they don't want to tell exactly what they're getting.

k
race914
QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 18 2006, 09:44 AM)
SOT:

Porsche Corral Pic from Sebring

Good online coverage here

If you don't get Speed Channel, Sebring live webcast here
alpha434
I'm going to a Sebring party this afternoon.

beerchug.gif
race914
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:08 AM)

beerchug.gif

Let me know if any of the cars are running airtabs! rolleyes.gif
Porcharu

I read they will get 40% better mileage but it could be "only" 20%. 2 more laps per tank at LeMans, maybe 2 less stops during the race.
Audi is doing this because they can, it's all to show the world the way of new diesels.
That car rocks even handicapped with the very low boost allowed in this series. Diesels love boost - it keeps them running cool.
It's so quiet that the driver said he can't hear the engine from 3rd gear up.
alpha434
QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:08 AM)

beerchug.gif

Let me know if any of the cars are running airtabs! rolleyes.gif

Maybe not airtab brand airtabs. But look at all those other damn aero devices! The audi's have vortex generators on the underbelly, rear- like a lot of new racers do. And the front spoiler is magnificent. It's shaped to keep air out from under the tires and out of the wheel wells, but then allows air to flow under the rest of the body to hit the aero devices there.

And then look at the top of the car. They use mesh screen for the backsides of the fenders to abide by the rules and still move the maximum amount of air.

I KNOW it's all standard stuff now-a-days. But the aero on modern racers is really amazing to me. A LOT of time and effort. And money. And it makes me think.
alpha434
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 18 2006, 10:12 AM)
I read they will get 40% better mileage but it could be "only" 20%. 2 more laps per tank at LeMans, maybe 2 less stops during the race.
Audi is doing this because they can, it's all to show the world the way of new diesels.

At two extra laps between pits, the Audis will decimate the opposition. How long is sebring? Times two. And what car can close that distance on the audis before having to pit again?
Porcharu
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:33 AM)

At two extra laps between pits, the Audis will decimate the opposition. How long is sebring? Times two. And what car can close that distance on the audis before having to pit again?

Looks like that one Audi is cleaning house. It's amazing the way the "fast" cars blow past the "slow" cars. Those slow cars are still hauling ars.
Jake Raby
Yet again.....
Torque wins the race!

It's ALL about torque, utilizing it correctly is the key.

HP is rather worthless, it only sells engines.

Audi knows how to dominate this series...
alpha434
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 18 2006, 05:47 PM)
Yet again.....
Torque wins the race!

The P2 Porsches have less torque and a faster qualifying times than the P1 Audis.

Audis have good speed and GREAT fuel efficency, the Porsches have vice versa. Its the first one that wins an enduro. And the latter that wins a short race.

turboman808
Yeah been watching this all day. I went for a long trail run this morning and now just watching car racing. F1 from Maylasia is later tonight.

I luv the yellow HID lights smile.gif Plan on putting in hid high, low and fogs on my civic some time soon. Light up the night like the sun.

See the corvette with indiglow race numbers and green hid wacko.gif

After watching all this racing I might crash the 914 I am test driving tomorrow biggrin.gif
Tom Perso
One of the drivers said it was trickey to drive since it has so much power - it's easy to overpower the rear tires out of the corners. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
MattR
Yet again.....
Torque wins the race!

HP = torque x RPM / 5250

HP is a function of torque...
J P Stein
The Porsche p2 thingy just crapped out....oops
ClayPerrine
The Spyder broke a drive axle a long way from the pits. I was running first with about 50 minutes to go.

That has to suck!
Lou W
That Astin Martin did alright, finished 3rd. I like those cars. smile.gif
Porcharu
I can't believe I watched the whole thing! An entire day pissed away.
I figured Audi was going to win after 8 hours or so and I should see history being made. I am really supprised that the R10 is so fast, I though it would be faster after factoring in fewer pits stops, not just flat out faster. Looks like it handles really well on bad surfaces.

Car and Driver has a pretty good write up in the April edition.

Looks like Porsche needs to kick it up a notch or two this year.

BTW- I read that one of the ways Audi may have handled the high torque in the gearbox is to put step up (higher shaft speed with less torque) gears at the input of the transmission. Many of these transmissions do the opposite to accomodate the high revving gas engines.
Porcharu
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2006, 07:47 PM)
The Spyder broke a drive axle a long way from the pits. I was running first with about 50 minutes to go.

That has to suck!

They still got 2nd!
alpha434
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 18 2006, 08:31 PM)

I figured Audi was going to win after 8 hours or so and I should see history being made.

Like the time Porsche won Le Mans in 20 hours?

WTF?!?!? screwy.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 05:52 PM)
Yet again.....
Torque wins the race!

The P2 Porsches have less torque and a faster qualifying times than the P1 Audis.

Audis have good speed and GREAT fuel efficency, the Porsches have vice versa. Its the first one that wins an enduro. And the latter that wins a short race.

Faster qualifying times? One Audi was more than TWO SECONDS under the old lap record, the other was just short of two seconds under. They were both assigned to the first row, which happens when you're faster than everybody else. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2006, 07:47 PM)

That has to suck!

"First" in class, not "first". The Cap'n
Porcharu
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 18 2006, 08:31 PM)

I figured Audi was going to win after 8 hours or so and I should see history being made.

Like the time Porsche won Le Mans in 20 hours?

WTF?!?!? screwy.gif

After 8 hours they were looking good - I thought it was worth time to watch the rest. It was.
URY914
It's a PITA to watch it on TV at night with those lights coming at you.

I've been to the race +/-15 times. I tell you after you've been there all day, sun burnt, dirty, tired, hungry, you just want it to end.
ottox914
So who is going to start the "tdi to 914" swap thread?
rich brennick
I have a few 1.6 TD drivetrains stored; have funny feeling they'll come in handy in the very near future.
On topic, here's the killer V12 TDI engine that won the race:
Lou W
Maybe this will be start of a new trend. smile.gif
TimT
I think its wonderful a diesel won the race. The Audi is quiet, clean and fast!!

Diesels are efficient engines.. what a great place to show they can be performance engines too..

Ive seen threads on other sites that are negative about the Audi diesels for really weak reasons..

Im all for clean diesel power..

I
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.