Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Beast has a new Heart!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
My love/hate with "The Beast" continues. This project loves to hate me. My wife thinks I'm a masochist (and what exactly is her point?) laugh.gif

I have just purchased a 1983 SC 3.0 motor with 85K on the clock (probably has 185K for all I know). The nice part is that the motor has everything with it, I don't have to search for any parts other than what I want to change out.

I will take it apart at the beginning of April as I will be traveling on business for the next 1.5 weeks. Since I plan on doing most of the engine assembly myself with the assistance of Tom Amon (2 time SCCA champ in the 80's with a 2.7 then a 3.4 (3.0) core motor), I'll post pictures of the project along the way.

I have Weber's already on the shelf and I'll most likely bump compression up with JE pistons. I will build it to run race gas only. New cams to work with carbs. And if the cylinders are toast, I'll most likely build a 3.2 short stroke.

Brad is providing me a 901 MSX box to get me going. I also have a flipped R&P open diff 915 in my stash, I have to decide if I want to go WEVO again or play with the cable shifter setup.

The Beast's tub still hasn't been painted but should be soon. If I can get the body back by June, I can probably make a few events at the end of the year.

Wish me luck!

Bill P.
Allan
Good luck...
nine14cats
Thanks Allan.

Are you still going to make the Buttonwillow event on March 31st? If you don't have a helmet, there will be plenty of loaners.

Bill P.
Allan
I'll more than likely be there...

I'm taking my car back down to the mechanic to fix an oil leak on Tuesday and hopefully be able to pick it up on Friday. If I don't get it back I'll just drive the Tahoe...
rhodyguy
implants for j-low. excellent!!! it really is a nice tub. i can expect a pretty comprehensive tech write up in the "classics"?

k
SirAndy
screwy.gif

oh, and good luck with the beast ...
beerchug.gif Andy
J P Stein
Bill:
Keep an eye open for Andial's "going out of biddness sale" for a set of Mahle PCs to open that thing up to 3.2L biggrin.gif

Swapping in a set of KEs is a gud plan....if you got lucky with Nikasil clys, tho....do ya feel lucky, old guy? laugh.gif
nine14cats
hmmm...Andial....to me the usually means parts I can't afford... biggrin.gif

JP...I fully expect them jugs to be Alusil, would it be any other way?

If they are, can I use Shasta pistons?

Bill P.
J P Stein
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 18 2006, 11:35 AM)
hmmm...Andial....to me the usually means parts I can't afford... biggrin.gif

JP...I fully expect them jugs to be Alusil, would it be any other way?

If they are, can I use Shasta pistons?

Bill P.

Rumor has it that Andial is gone......and they can't find a "suitable" buyer to carry on their traditions of excellence.

Nikisals will take any piston. Alusils need ferro coated
pistons.... made only by KS & only in CIS shape dome.
Did I just hear a cash register ring? laugh.gif
nine14cats
Sounds to me like a 3.2SS is in the offing..... laugh.gif

Unless I can find some cheap used nickasils in spec.... rolleyes.gif

cha ching.... blink.gif

What cam do ya think? "S"? 20/21?

Bill P.
J P Stein
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 18 2006, 12:48 PM)
Sounds to me like a 3.2SS is in the offing..... laugh.gif

Unless I can find some cheap used nickasils in spec.... rolleyes.gif

cha ching.... blink.gif

What cam do ya think?  "S"?  20/21?

Bill P.

I dunno.
You're gonna have torque regardless......smooth midrange delivery & gud top end is what I'd be after. All top & no bottom is not the hot ticket for AX, me thinks. Single plug & 10.3:1.....?race gas?twin plug? Let's spend Bill's money biggrin.gif
B or C first, GA or H (ouch) 2nd? with a 7300 red line
I'd talk to "camgrinder" over on the PP911 engine board....
nine14cats
Yep, I was thinking of Camgrinder on the bird board for the cam selections.....

Nope...want this car to have a broad torque range....make it good for AX and a DE or two. Probably something similar in characteristics to my hot rod 2.7, which had a webcam 120/104 in it (4000 to 7500 power range).

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind having the hit in the 3000/6500 or 3500/7000 range, with a rev range up to 7200 RPM safely. That would be nice for AX.

Race gas only (100 Octane). Had single plug, 10.5:1 JE's on my hot rod 2.7 on race gas...probably pushing it, but I didn't have detonation issues, I had issues with a 8500 RPM over rev that dinged a head/some valves, and cracked a piston....

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.