Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early rear valence use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
Lo, these past 30+ years I've been running my '70 914/4 w/o the OEM rear valence. The reason it's been off is, I'm sure, well known by those who frequent this Forum. However, I'm thinking about taking it out of the basement, cleaning it up, re-finishing it as necessary, and putting it back on the car. This is the rear valence that has the exhaust hole, not the cut-out. The question is, does anyone out there actually run with this part on all the time? It has always seemed to me to really be in the way of rear end maintenance inspection, not to mention the heat build-up issue.
Tobra
When I bough tmine, the rear valence was off, because the exhaust came out in the wrong spot. The end link bushings for the sway bar were all rotted, I presume due to excessive UV light. I can't imagine it would really trap all that much heat.
JimmyG
If you decide to not use it and it is a nice piece I will buy it. ( if would like to part with it.) I agree it creates a problem when removing the engine but I am restoring a 6 and need one for the concours lovers. I would hate to spend years of my life doing this only to be spoled by a valance.
let me know
Jimmy jsharp.gif
Pat Garvey
slap.gif

Any kind of valence looks better than no valence!

One thing to remember, if you decide to put it back on - it will only fit for a factory muffler/tailpipe combination for the 1970-72 models . Many of the muffler/pipe combinations sold in the last 20 years have the tailpipe for post-72 muffler setup installed. Measure yours & compare to factory specs for a (let me guess) 1970 model.
If it doesn't match, you always replace just the tailpipe.

Don't ask me how I know & don't ever try to make Bursch exhaust fit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.