Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is CB Performance EFI the same as Megasquirt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=278

The tuning instructions suck....

Wouldn't it be best to put in on a rolling dyno and then adjust the EFI with a broad band 02 up the whatsitz?
Mueller
not even close....the MS blows away the CB Performance setup......the problem with the MS is that you need a laptop and it can be more difficult to tune......
Joe Bob
So who makes it....
Dave Bell
See

http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

"Q:How do I order Megasquirt..."

Mike... did you reach Tom about the Rocket?

- Dave
Dave_Darling
If you meant the CB stuff, I recall reading on-line (so it may be BS!) that it used GM parts, specifically the ECU and injectors. And that the ECU started life in a Geo Metro, of all things! (Which would make it a three-cylinder, so I don't know that I believe it...)

--DD
Tom Perso
Dave, I've heard the same thing. Geo Metro brain. I'm not sure how they did the 3 to 4 cylinder conversion. Only thing I can think of is they used two of the injectors and are batch firing in banks.

Who knows.

Tom
Joe Bob
It DOES use a Ford coil.... ohmy.gif
Mr.C
Yep, I ran into the guy who did some R&D for it. He said that it was early GM parts. He told me the list of parts and from what years, but I can't remember now. I've slept since then. dry.gif
Jake Raby
Designed for a Type 1....

All that matters in a Type 1 is wide open throttle... Guess what, it works well if you never lift your foot off the throttle..

I have direct experience with it, it's very simple but doesn't offer much..
Tom Perso
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 19 2006, 08:59 AM)
It DOES use a Ford coil.... ohmy.gif

See, there's your problem. Give it the float test. laugh.gif

(Says me, who is planning on a FORD EDIS setup)

Seriously though, good luck tuning that. I know it's a PIA. You could alway convert it to MS.

I know Dan Zink (active in the STF) has the CB system on his 2.7L T4 in a Bug. Maybe he would be of assistance.

Tom
Joe Bob
Well it's in a Speedster replica and I have a lead foot....so should work out well. We're not talking daily commuter on the 405 in SmelLA.
anthony
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 19 2006, 07:40 AM)
Well it's in a Speedster replica and I have a lead foot....so should work out well. We're not talking daily commuter on the 405 in SmelLA.

Are you actually considering it? For $1800 you could buy 3 or 4 Megasquirt systems off the shelf and not have to solder a single connection.
Joe Bob
Considering it????

It's the pic on the right...it's in and running. Next Friday I have some time booked on a rolling dyno. Gonna dial it in and it's gonna scream......Maltese was up today and he stopped by to measure for an intercooler.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 19 2006, 08:54 PM)
Considering it????

It's the pic on the right...it's in and running. Next Friday I have some time booked on a rolling dyno. Gonna dial it in and it's gonna scream......Maltese was up today and he stopped by to measure for an intercooler.

marty the turbonium falcon?

nice!
Joe Bob
He doan look like much...but he mad the SmelLA to SB run in record time....
MecGen
Hi

I'm not sure how they did the 3 to 4 cylinder conversion

4 door Geo's did come with a 4 cyl, GM ECU...at least in Canada.

Later
beer.gif
newto914s
Same down here, also as an option on the later cars. The modern version of the metro is that Aveo think, and gets 25mpg. And GM can't figure out why they're loosing so much money screwy.gif

Squirt it * you know you want to
Twystd1
Mike,

Read this post....

Mike is EFI deficient thread.

Lance Nist, is one of the guys that designed this for GM.

This is his website... And it sucks Pantera Specialty's

This is a place he hangs out Lance BBS

Lance is the guy that put the second gen CB EFI system together.

This is NOT the Gen 1 version you have. I don't know who built that POS.

Lance knows ALL about the CB sytem. If ya have questions.. call him.. And he is a nice guy.

NOTE: If he asks you a question... And ya don't know the answer. Don't make shit up... Tell him you don't know...

DON'T ASK how I know....EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also knows more about ignition systems than anyone I have ever met.

And yeah... he knows ALL about turbo engines.

And yeah he knows EFI..

And yeah... He knows many of the big boys..

And yeah... I don't owe him money....(yet)

See what Lance says about your EFI system. Compare that data with Marty's. Then make an informed decision.

And by the way... Aaron says your funny looking....

Clayton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.