Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear 911 coil-overs on 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevgentile
has anyone fitted a pair of rear 911/930 coil-overs onto a 914?
kevgentile
refering to bilstein rsr/race coil-overs. i know that 914's have coil-overs but the valving on the bilstein sports is no where as aggressive as many of the 911/930 race cars running rsr rear coil-overs. since i will be running bilstein rsr coil-overs up front i would like to match the rear as well.
Aaron Cox
its been done before....

iiirc - lots of reinforcerment and camber boxes upfront to handle a load that the shock towers were never designed to do....
TimT
I have Bilstein RSR shock in all 4 corners of my 914. You need to have the shocks revalved to suit the 914 though. They come valved for a 911 weight bias 60/40, where a 914 is 50/50. The best way to get the shocks set up is to scale your car, then send all four shocks to Bilstein to have them valved properly. You will need to supply corner weight and HP info
kevgentile
THE CHASSIS TUBE FRAMED FROM THE FIRE WALLS OUT. WEIGHED IN AT 1600 LBS WITH THE STEEL BODY. NOW WILL HAVE SHERIDANS WIDE BODY ON IT. RUNNING A 2.5 LITER 300HP SIX. WHAT WOULD THE BEST VALVING SET-UP BE? I WOULD HAVE ASSUMED TO RUN STANDARD RSR VALVING AND PLAY WITH SPRING RATES.
alpha434
You're all nuts.

Most shocks that you buy for racers now-a-days are "Racer Reparable/Rebuildable"

Buy shocks you like in the brand you like. I like QA1 (shameless plug) OR Ohlins or Penske. They all use the same sized body tubes (for the most part.)

Get 2-port Digressive/Linear valves for the front and 3-port High frequency valves on the rear.

Adjust shim stacks for your appropriate corner weights/ desired results.

Alpha knows something! ohmy.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (kevgentile @ Mar 18 2006, 09:40 PM)
THE CHASSIS TUBE FRAMED FROM THE FIRE WALLS OUT. WEIGHED IN AT 1600 LBS WITH THE STEEL BODY. NOW WILL HAVE SHERIDANS WIDE BODY ON IT. RUNNING A 2.5 LITER 300HP SIX. WHAT WOULD THE BEST VALVING SET-UP BE? I WOULD HAVE ASSUMED TO RUN STANDARD RSR VALVING AND PLAY WITH SPRING RATES.

Don't be angry. Get the valves that I mentioned earlier.

They'll all feel funny when you drive it, but you'll go faster. Swear to god. And if you give me your corner weights, I'll calculate shim stacks for ya.
TimT
WHAT WOULD THE BEST VALVING SET-UP BE?

Youll have to have a chat with Bilstein. They can tailor the valving to suit your needs.

FWIW the "standard" RSR valving even sucks ass for 911s its just a compromise. Tell Bilstein the types of tracks you usually run on, whether the surface is smooth of rough, bumpy rutted etc. and they can valve to suit. Ideally you should get adjustable shocks, which allow you to adjust the valving to suit different track conditions

You're all nuts.

And your pretty naive, ever hear of run what ya brung?
alpha434
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 18 2006, 09:46 PM)
Has Alpha ever spent his own money on Penske
shocks? Has Alpha spent his own money for a shock dyno?
Is Alpha a jerk?

Does alpha have experiance?
Did alpha JUST get certified in building those shocks and on Roehrig shock dynamometers?

Is anyone jealous? Or hypocritical?

Like I said. QA1 is MY brand. I've got four new ones sitting here with all the valving I mentioned earlier. And I paid to have them Dynoed. Myself.

So. Here ya go. finger.gif
alpha434
Adjustable shocks are a compromise too. You just have an easy way to change the operating range on the track. This is really good if you don't know what is fast. Not so good if you do.

And it's extra $$$.

alpha434
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 18 2006, 10:00 PM)
A lot of words, but no money.

Revalving is chicken feed compared to buying the things. Guys do stuff they can afford.....does that make then nuts?
Guys that don't do shit on their own dime run their mouths.

I bought them myself.

What? You think my parents are rich? I get paid to work on other people's cars. Not on my own. If you knew me, then you'd know that I probly work harder than you do to get the parts I need/want. And to get work done that I can't do myself. I buy QA1s because they are the CHEAPEST that will accept those valves. I figure that I can check tolorencing myself, with my own machinist tools. The ones that cost 250$ for a 0-1 mic from Mitutoyo. And 125$ for 8 inch calipers. You wanna bitch, then call me out somewhere else. This is NOT the place OR the time.
alpha434
QA1s are cheaper than Bilstien. Just for the record.
brant
QUOTE (kevgentile @ Mar 18 2006, 10:40 PM)

Boy, I'd sure like to see a metal bodied -6 that weighs 1600lbs...

post some pictures.... I'm calling your bluff that its really metal bodied... You must have glass lids or something on it...

regarding shocks.
I had some Carrerra's custom valved and at a custom length for mine..
mostly because they were a fraction of the cost of the penske's and the other's mentioned above...

brant
Wild 6
The standard Bilstein HDs are 219/32 (compression/rebound). The guys at Bilsten in San Diego recommended 300/100 for my 914 track car.

P.S. I have a pair of Bilstien RSR rear coilovers if anyone is interested. They came off my 914.
alpha434
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 18 2006, 10:10 PM)
regarding shocks.
I had some Carrerra's custom valved and at a custom length for mine..
mostly because they were a fraction of the cost of the penske's and the other's mentioned above...

brant

QA1 now owns Carrera. They were prone to "poor quality control" But they are the same as QA1s now. QA1 also owns HAL.
J P Stein
Sorry about your thread, pardner.
kevgentile
i assume that the carrera/qa1 shocks some of you are using are designed to drop into a bilstein front strut housing, or are mods neccessary to make them work?
alpha434
QUOTE (Wild 6 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:13 PM)
The standard Bilstein HDs are 219/32 (compression/rebound). The guys at Bilsten in San Diego recommended 300/100 for my 914 track car.

compression/rebound doesn't mean anything anymore. The valving is MUCH more complex now. I wish I had picture of some of the cvp graphs for my shocks. Those numbers used to be used to describe linear graphs. The valves available now produce non-linear graphs. That's the best that I can explain without pictures.

And I prefer a faster rebound, to let the tire fall back in place as fast as possible. 300 pounds of damper would be ok. Depending on your corner weight and average distance of shock travel. If it's too stiff, the body will shake over bumps. If it's too soft, the wheels will shake and you'll lose traction.
brant
QUOTE (kevgentile @ Mar 18 2006, 11:18 PM)
i assume that the carrera/qa1 shocks some of you are using are designed to drop into a bilstein front strut housing, or are mods neccessary to make them work?

I think they can be purchased for multiple different strut housings..

my front housings happen to be sectioned koni's (where the strut is cut and the middle is removed to create a body drop). My carrera's are ordered to length to accomodate this body drop...

but I'm certain they can be ordered for other brand of struts and bilsteins also.

the shock bodies are aluminum too.... for weight...
speaking of which, please tell me how on earth you get a METAL car to 1600 with a -6?

I'm still calling you out on that one.

brant
Mueller
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:40 PM)
Alpha knows something! ohmy.gif

dude, you have serious problems and are really in love with yourself...not sure why you hang out here, you obviously know so much about everything that you should be running an F1 team and not wasting time with our cheap-@ss cars smile.gif screwy.gif

Back to the shocks and valving, the shock manufacture/tuner will need to know your spring rates as well......if you have a such a custom built car, I'm confused on why you asked if they can fit, you make them work if that is what you want......

MattR
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 18 2006, 09:40 PM)
You're all nuts.

Most shocks that you buy for racers now-a-days are "Racer Reparable/Rebuildable"

Adjustable rebound, adjustable damping, but not adjustable valving. Each car has its own internal valving set by the user or manufacturor. Like Tim said, the 911 is a different car then the 914 and requires different valving, which can NOT be adjusted even with the $8k 3 way motons.
Jeroen
so are the 911 rear shocks the same length as 914 shocks (open/compressed) ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.