Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my heads back!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Looks like they were rebuilt before, has 3 out of 4 spark plug holes redone and it looks like it had cracks that have been repaired around the spark plug boss(es). The welds are still kind of ugly and I have a second set of unmollested heads to look at... Should I clean them up with a grinder or just run'em?

John at Costa Mesa R&D did a very nice job of cleaning them up, but didn't even mention this 'previous work'. Maybe he thought I knew... Anyway, I highly recommend the guy:

John Edwards
Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine Shop
123 Monte Vista Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 631-6376

-Aaron
Twystd1
Ditto that.

John Rocks..!!!!

Twystd1
Korijo
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

smoke.gif
yeahmag
I was waiting for that... I'll post some shortly.

smile.gif

-Aaron
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Korijo @ Mar 19 2006, 10:02 AM)
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

smoke.gif

You guys moving to North Bend???? ohmy.gif
yeahmag
OK. Finally got pics...
yeahmag
asdf
yeahmag
asdf
yeahmag
asdf
yeahmag
Opinions welcome on whether they need to be cleaned up a bit or not...

Thanks

-Aaron
McMark
Run 'em. driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup run em. I always make sure there are no big casting boogers in the ports. but that's it.
Jake Raby
Ensure that the ccs are balanced from chamber to chamber! That material that was added reduces chamber volume and if they are off a bit it'll make for different CR around the engine and that makes for crappy performance and a very unstable engine.

CC them, then run'em if they are no more than 1cc apart between the 4 cylinders.

All these repairs and idiots that have worked on the heads for the last 30 years are the reason why used castings are so problem filled these days and the reason why the new generation heads are gonna change a whole lot of things!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.