Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What color should I paint my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I have a little bit of phoenix red paint ready to use.. and a ton of black primer filler.

I think it would look sick in orange.

but I think it would look baaad in black.

Trouble is I dont think I could paint black myself.. (toughest color to spray, aside from candy's and junk)
but I bet I would try..

Lemme know what you think...
Andrew

Andyrew
Pic
user posted image

user posted image

cbenitah
i did vote for silver, since my car will be that color... but i do like your car in black.. it would look good with the type of styling you are looking for!
Tobra
Phoenix red, like mine biggrin.gif Whatcha conna do with that extra seal sitting on the hood?
scotty b
QUOTE (Tobra @ Mar 19 2006, 07:35 AM)
Phoenix red, like mine biggrin.gif Whatcha conna do with that extra seal sitting on the hood?

huh.gif Whatcha gonna do with that 944 turbo engine?? rolleyes.gif
Andyrew
Bump

seal gets replaced with new one.

944 turbo engine? picture doesnt show our two engines..
That car is driving drove it today (autox). Should make 350whp.
DanT
Phoenix Red
Like this biggrin.gif smile.gif
DanT
and
DanT
and
DanT
and
DanT
Last one.
As you can tell I kind of like Phoenix Red. Makes a great color for a racecar and since your car was this color originally it makes repainting much easier wink.gif
tdsmoonchild
I vote for this: gold metallic

Don't see it much. My car was original Adriatic blue, which I don't like. PO made it Marathon blue metallic, which I also don't like. Wanted to paint it yellow (maybe saturn yellow) which my wife doesn't like. Plus there are already alot of yellow ones out there.
Andyrew
Im gona icon_bump.gif this once, and the then tomorrow add some pics I shot today.
byndbad914
hmmm... one of those opinion questions... must answer... can't hold back...

anyway, if you keep the silver wheels, the car would look best silver as well. if you go back to polished Fuchs, that opens up the window for colors that will look good in the end. Red would look good with those. Signal Orange would look awesome. And black would look good. Nice thing about chrome wheels is they go with so much. IMO, silver wheels really only go with silver, otherwise they just seem to not match to me. My Lightning pickup is silver because the wheels are silver on all of them. I stood in the lot and looked at four trucks lined up - red, blue, black and silver and the first two look like ass and the black was marginal but worked. Silver was perfect. I saw a dark gray one the other day was the worst combo I have seen yet.

Now, don't all you guys with blue or red cars with silver wheels go all apeshit on me and get out the torches and start a lynchin' - just my opinion... doesn't mean your car sucks, just means I wouldn't choose to paint my car that way. Is that enough CYA language yet? laugh.gif

BTW, I like the flat black anyway. If you evened it out with actual matted black paint and then was willing to paint the wheel centers and polish the lips, that could work out cool too.
Andyrew
Those fuch's wheels are gone,

I have the same wheels as you do..

I also have cookie cutters (and another set when I get them from felix) which I will put cantilever slicks, and 2 sets of gotties with hoosier tires on them. but those are track wheels, to be painted gloss black (powder)

I wasnt going to discuss wheels because I thought it would complicate things.. lol

I have a couple options as far as color.

My original idea was to have the same color scheme as the "peal" v8 car, but I dont like the pure black wheels..

If I was to paint it orange, I would probably powdercoat the wheels a black chrome, or a gunmetal silver.

If I was to paint it black, I would go with silver or maybe even an exotic color (orange, red, white?) I got lots of paint.. sanding it down is no problem, and final color would be layed down with powder...

Thanks
Andrew
Dr. Roger
where's the vote option for stripes, flames, or graphics??? LOL

your young. you play hard. flame it!

black car with red flames.

always a winner in MHO.

Ohhhhhh yea'. biggrin.gif

user posted image
Andyrew
Toyed with the idea of putting black racing stripes down the middle. Now im trying to stealth it just a tad....

Allan
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 21 2006, 05:18 PM)
flames,
your young. you play hard. flame it!

black car with red flames.

Flames and 914's are bad....
byndbad914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 21 2006, 04:55 PM)

wow, most guys typically don't have minilites - I luvs 'em

I wasnt going to discuss wheels because I thought it would complicate things.. lol

I agree, but makes a huge difference in overall look of the car

My original idea was to have the same color scheme as the "peal" v8 car, but I dont like the pure black wheels..

me either... with polished/black Fuchs like you had, that car would look great - classic example of wheel choice ruining the look of a nice car

If I was to paint it orange, I would probably powdercoat the wheels a black chrome, or a gunmetal silver.

If I was to paint it black, I would go with silver or maybe even an exotic color (orange, red, white?) I got lots of paint.. sanding it down is no problem, and final color would be layed down with powder...

Here is a shot of a great Camaro project on a g-machine forum - I always kept this photo on hand because I had considered going matte black with my car (and still might), and was going keep the polished lip and paint the centers of my wheels matte to match.  So, needless to say when I saw the updated scheme for this car, I captured the image.

Originally he was going with the orange color which I thought was really nice too but didn't like the wheels with it.  The centers would need to be either body color, or maybe the black would work since there are black accents on the concept.  The silver centers just don't cut it for me, and I think the top image helps to explain what I meant in my earlier post about silver wheels against other body colors.

Also, another member on this forum has a great all black car with the Sheridan kit and Fuchs with polished lip and black centers similar to the camaro idea below - really goods great.  I will search around for a pic of that car - I just saw him post a pic about a week ago in a different thread - don't remember his name

Dr. Roger
OK, how about stealth like the OCC did it? battleship grey with rivets where the panels meet. kinda' like industrial meets stealth.
914-8
user posted imageuser posted image
byndbad914
took me a while to find it - hope he doesn't mind I hijacked his pic ph34r.gif Really like this car and saw it out at Willow a couple years back - great paint scheme.
byndbad914
So I think I officially hijacked your thread wink.gif

Drooled over this car at SEMA for a solid hour - damn near had to change my shirt. Whole front was carbon fiber - but sorta plays into the idea of black on the hood like you mentioned, and a nice orange color. Old skool Halibrand look works for this car, probably not a 914.

Sorry, killing time at work (after hours of course!) waiting for traffic to die down so I can head down to Orange County to the chassis shop for our mid-week meeting to discuss the additions AJ makes.
soloracer
Nice car. Look at the side exit exhaust. Very well done. I'm going with a similar paint scheme myself.

As for the original question, I kind of like the flat black that it's painted today. Makes it look low tech and bad ass - like a V8 914 should. Here is a pic of another color I like - not sure how it would look on a 914.

soloracer
Here is another color combo I like
soloracer
Another color combo I like:

soloracer
'nuther

carreraguy
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 19 2006, 04:05 PM)
Phoenix Red

hijacked.gif Wow! Nice pics Dan! Would like to see #5 some day up close and personal (i.e standing still)!
Andyrew
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 21 2006, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 21 2006, 04:55 PM)

wow, most guys typically don't have minilites - I luvs 'em

Minilights, woops sorry, miss took you for another v8 guy..

I have turbo twists, 18's in the back, boxster twists up front.

That black camaro would be just like I want mine, Car will have 2 colors, One would be black, the other ? Orange? If I paint it black, I might go with orange ghost paint on it, maybe ghost flames, or ghost racing stripes (that would be sick..)

That or the complete opposite, orange paint with ghost stripes/flames...

Soloracer, those are cool combo's, love the 951, but I want the car stealth.. The carrera gt is awesome!

The problem with flat black, is there is no way to clean it. Period. Almost all cleaners have wax in them.
Also flat black generates A TON OF HEAT. HOLY !@#% DOES IT MAKE HEAT!! It absorbs all the sunlight, I burnt my hand on my hood a couple times....

Thanks for the comments guys...

Im leaning towards black with ghost orange stripes (heck, maybe numbers!!)

Andrew
McMark
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 21 2006, 09:57 PM)
The problem with flat black, is there is no way to clean it. Period. Almost all cleaners have wax in them.

Single stage with a mix in flattening agent. wink.gif Gets rid of the gloss, but is a washable/waxable finish.
Andyrew
Interesting... Can this be applied to a clear?

Very interesting..

drewvw

I am always a fan of keeping the original color...and I dig the 70's VW/Porsche orange colors.

chilli
Sepia Brown, What Else?

user posted image

Mike
byndbad914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 22 2006, 12:40 AM)
Interesting... Can this be applied to a clear?

Very interesting..

yeah Andrew - you can go single stage with flattening, or two stage with flattening in the clear IIRC. Supposedly one looks "milkier" than the other (I think the single stage) though I haven't personally been able to compare two cars side-by-side, just hearsay I saw on another paint website in the past. Some like the milkier, some don't so that is a matter of taste. The rat-rod look is typically the single-stage to get that look.

And can wash with wax all you want.

Will absorb heat like a mofo (the whole emissivity thing) which is why I decided to not go matte black on my racecar - the thing is a sweat box in the summer already - and what you mention already experiencing. Looks bad-ass though, which is why I am waffling on doing it. I got a couple months to make up my mind dry.gif

That silver/orange/black combo is awesome! Got me thinking too!!! I wanted to paint mine either matte black, signal orange, and now the current plan is silver. I could do all three at once... oh boy... feeling funny in my pants... laugh.gif
soloracer
That is exactly the color combo I am considering for my 914. Here is a mock up of what I was thinking of doing - photoshop skills courtesy of a helpful Club 914 member a year or so ago. I like the paint scheme but keep going over the exact color combo. Maybe I'll go with the Carrera GT Orange with silver and black like the earlier 951.

Andyrew: So to Hijack you thread. I promise not to post anymore in it. smile.gif

byndbad914
Soloracer - I think we are going to have identical cars in the end wink.gif I have the same Sheridan kit and will be adding a wing when I get the tube chassis done. And I am set on painting just like the 951 as of the minute I saw that pic! I wanted signal orange, then it was matte black, now silver. The fact I can put orange, black and silver together and can see it will turn out that well is great.

I like that paint scheme you show with photoshop too!
rhodyguy
raspberry. seriously.

k
DNHunt
Black since you CAN back it up. I love black but it takes big cajones or big displacement.

Dave
JPB
Brother, listen to me a purist/minimalist authority. Greatness will only be found by using the shinyest silver you can find and the rest of the car trimmed in black! A round car like the 914 will look awsome in silver. I will do my next one like this and you will see the light once it is done.

beer.gif Wisdom aquired with every ounce.
redshift
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 19 2006, 08:05 PM) *

Phoenix Red

hahah... but without all the orange peel.

av-943.gif

M
Katmanken
Make it something frickin bright...

Like a factory 70's color..

Driving downtown to work the other morning and noticed that the herd only allows their cars to be painted in a few dull normal colors...silver, gold, black, dark grey,. If it's blue, or green or some other color it's got a dark tint to the clearcoat so it appears black or charcoal -except where the sun shines on it.....

Looking at the cars off into the distance, they all kinda fade into a dingy uniform same-o same-o color...

Saw one yellow car off in the distance amid the dull....

Think it comes from the fact that many of todays finishes are a dull basecoat that gets the gloss from the clearcoat surface. Looks ok close up, looks dull from a distance. Throw dark tint into it and the shiny metallic gleam is a close up phenomenon that fades to charcoal over a distance.

Made me long for the days of one color high gloss paint with no clearcoat.....

Painting with black paint ain't so much of a bitch..... The prep is. Getting the car surface smooth enough to not show flaws with black is tough.

My car just might end up raspberry.....

I don't follow herds.

Ken
Mueller
Black is a terrible color (even tho my 911 is black on black and I love it smile.gif )......

attracts heat too easily.....

hard to paint.....

PITA to keep clean....

not a good color for a low small car such as ours, you want to be seen, not trying to be stealth....

black does not really allow one to see the curves and details of the car as much as a nice bright orange....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.