Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm moving my shop soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I'm going to more than double my shop space on June 1st. boldblue.gif

Thanks to Guy Wanegar buying a building for his business I will be able to move out of the small dark hole I have been working in for more than 18 years. The new space is a couple of miles away, still in Manchester. It's not as convenient to the highway but is a far better space to operate my business from.

This will allow me to consolidate all my 914 and race car work in one place instead of having a portion taking up one of my garage bays at home. I am also going to need a full time welder/fabricator to keep up with the work I have been putting off.
race914
Chris,

Congratulations on your new shop! clap56.gif

Greg
URY914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 19 2006, 06:07 AM)
I am also going to need a full time welder/fabricator to keep up with the work I have been putting off.

Well. well. well... welder.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif idea.gif

Sorry Chris, too damn cold up there. biggrin.gif

Paul
firstknight13
smilie_pokal.gif congrates!! i would be interested but i couldn't afford the PAY cut biggrin.gif .. see you soon wink.gif ray
jd74914
Congrats on the new shop. BTW, I still want to get over and help a little with the new racecar, I've just had alot of jazz practices and been in killer mode on mine (I have to have it 100% finished by May for my senior demo project)
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
I still want to get over and help a little with the new racecar, I've just had alot of jazz practices and been in killer mode on mine (I have to have it 100% finished by May for my senior demo project)

I figured as long as you're still in school you wouldn't have much time on weeknights anyway.
Have you made any plans for a summer job yet?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ Mar 19 2006, 09:33 PM)
i would be interested but i couldn't afford the PAY cut

Actually, I would be willing to pay pretty well for someone with enough experience.
But I don't think a hammer and nails would work too good to hold pieces of metal together. laugh.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 19 2006, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
I still want to get over and help a little with the new racecar, I've just had alot of jazz practices and been in killer mode on mine (I have to have it 100% finished by May for my senior demo project)

I figured as long as you're still in school you wouldn't have much time on weeknights anyway.
Have you made any plans for a summer job yet?

Not yet. I'm planning on looking for some stuff later in the spring though. I know I'm working for my uncle on a roofing crew during April break, but this summer I'm free so far (usually I do some kind of house painting and I pick the jobs).

This summer my only plans were to work a little and put my Dad's Ford F1 back on the road. If you are working on stuff then I'd love to learn more/help. cool.gif
joea9146
Godd Luck Sounds like a good move for you
Jake Raby
Glad to hear it, Chris!

It's always great to have a new space, but a NIGHTMARE to get moved!
william harris
Great News!!! Jake - make sure Chris gets the parts to complete my motor before the move!!! happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ Mar 19 2006, 09:33 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif congrates!! i would be interested but i couldn't afford the PAY cut biggrin.gif .. see you soon wink.gif ray

Ditto, and congrats Chris.

If there is a saturday move day, let me know...I would be happy to come down and lend a hand.

Rich
guywan914
Chris, as you can imagine I been to Damn busy moving my stuff out of the way to read this post till now. The place is now officially empty, well almost. And I am almost all organized at the new place. Should be able to start helping on the new car next week or the week after on Thursday nights. I'll be in touch. If you get a chance swing by and check out our new space, remember we have 6 acres so if things don't work out we can always pop up another building wacko.gif Congrats on the new space hope it works as well for you as it did for us for all those years. beerchug.gif
crash914
Chris, can you build me an exhaust before you move?

I would like to get one on order.....thanks, herb
Rleog
Excellent news, Chris; a chance for much needed space to get organized and more efficient.

If the move is on a weekend other than May 6th-7th, there's a possibility that I could help.
ChrisFoley
Thanks Bob,
I'm hoping this move is good for your car too. I'm nearly ready to install the clamshells after finding a bad spot at the front drivers side.
BTW, you're in on the fuel line deal.
ChrisFoley
In a week or so I will be prepping to Epoxy the floor at the new place. smile.gif

I think the big move will be Memorial Day Weekend, starting Friday the 26th and ending Wednesday the 31st with a final sweep of the old place.
rickyhgarcia
Chris,

Moving to a bigger place means your business is growing. Much success in the coming future.

Congrats....

Ricky
jd74914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 27 2006, 09:18 AM)
In a week or so I will be prepping to Epoxy the floor at the new place. smile.gif

I think the big move will be Memorial Day Weekend, starting Friday the 26th and ending Wednesday the 31st with a final sweep of the old place.

I think I'm going to be home that weekend so if your looking for some help give a holler wink.gif
ChrisFoley
I'm just about done with the renovations to my new shop space. The electrician is doing some wiring right now. Otherwise all that's left is to finish painting the office trim and give the floor a good cleaning. Then I can start moving in.
The plan is to move the heavy stuff on Friday with a business neighbor who has a log truck with a small crane on it.
Saturday is the big moving day, with Sunday scheduled for backup. It's going to take a few trips with my box truck and pickup loaded full for sure.
If you're available to help out let me know.
I'll take pictures for the rest of you.
Rleog
Chris -

I'm available Friday, but I have to work the Mem Day weekend & Monday. I'd be glad to drive over and lend a hand. PM me with details on when and where you'd like me to show up. thumb3d.gif
Rusty
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jd74914
Chris, I'm 99% sure I'm free Friday afternoon if you need any help. I can drive my truck too. James
jdogg
Chris-
Where exactly is this new shop located? I need to know so I can stop in to see you next time we are up!

guywan914
Chris, i'll be there with the rack body at 9:00. Also for those who need a little inspiration to come help the pizza and beer is on me!!!!!!!!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 24 2006, 02:54 PM) *

Chris, I'm 99% sure I'm free Friday afternoon if you need any help. I can drive my truck too. James

Friday I'll be working with the "rigger" and can't really use any help that day. On Saturday more hands will make the job go much quicker though.

I tried to take some pics of the front office tonight but my camera failed to operate properly - hoping its just the battery. sad.gif
I'll try again tomorrow.
jd74914
Cool, We should be around on Sat, if you could just send the times and adresses. James
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 24 2006, 10:38 PM) *

Cool, We should be around on Sat, if you could just send the times and adresses. James

Excellent! The old shop is at 11 Tolland Tpk (Rt 83 at the Vernon town line, behind AA Pest Control). The new address is 101 Loomis St. (off Hilliard).
I'll be at the old shop by 9am.

Chris, i'll be there with the rack body at 9:00. Also for those who need a little inspiration to come help the pizza and beer is on me!!!!!!!!
That's very generous of you Guy. Thanks! beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's a pic of my Dad's space within my shop. He's using it for his airplane restoration and I don't need that much room yet.
ChrisFoley
This is the view toward my dad's space from the back of my shop. I built the wall that separates his area from the main shop.
ChrisFoley
This shot is from the entry to my office. The color is screwed up because I had the flash on.
ChrisFoley
Here's the view of the entry to my "break" room from inside my office.
I replaced all the ceiling tiles in the office and painted walls and trim in both rooms. My wife and I spent the last 4 days painting. wacko.gif
SGB
Looks great! G'luck with the move Chris! Now you can really mount the attack.
djm914-6
So does this mean I can roll my car down and have you do $.050 worth of work at a time till it's all done? smile.gif

Looks like a great place to work.
spunone
Shop Looks Great hope your move goes smooooooth thats whats a pain thumb3d.gif
ChrisFoley
Things went well with the rigger today. Here's a shot of the first piece being lifted into the truck.
ChrisFoley
and here's a bench going in. We got 9 pieces onto the truck and then drove the forklift onto his trailer. We started loading at 2:30, got rained on, and had everything in the new shop by 8:30pm. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
We did it!
I want to thank the 914club members - Guy Wanegar, Jim Dayton and Heidi Sawrun, along with the rest of my crew - Mary, Dave, Dad, Jared and Robert.
It was a long day, nearly 12 hours of lifting numerous metal objects of all sizes and weights.
Here's a shot of the tired crew sans Jim, Heidi and Mary.
Thanks again you guys! beerchug.gif
jd74914
So Chris, when did you guys end up going home?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 27 2006, 09:20 PM) *

I think the last truckload was emptied around 7 and we hung around until 8 or so.

Here's a pic showing the aisle between the rear of the shop and the bathrooms. This includes the machining and fabrication areas.
ChrisFoley
Sunday my Dad and I made 2 more trips with the big truck. We moved his fuselage and most of the remaining metal from the old place. I still have about a ton of metal and grinding wheels to move tomorrow. wacko.gif
This is a pic of the compressor and sandblaster at the rear of the shop. At the left end is the entry to the "Tangerine Lounge" lunch room/packaging area.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 29 2006, 03:02 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 27 2006, 09:20 PM) *

I think the last truckload was emptied around 7 and we hung around until 8 or so.

Here's a pic showing the aisle between the rear of the shop and the bathrooms. This includes the machining and fabrication areas.

Say.... Are those my headers being made? I must be about due for completion. I suppose I better get you a check ready huh???

Looks like lots of work. Sorry I couldn't help but I did spend yesterday with Martin (North Bay 914) Dave (DNHunt) his son Jerry, McMark, and Jake Raby at Bugarama. Then back to my house for a little bench racing on the pool deck. Then McMark headed back to Napa and Dave, Jerry, Martin, and me went to Fuddrucker's for a burger... 4 914's in my driveway at one time was a record.
Good luck with your new shop...

Rob
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 29 2006, 11:44 AM) *

Say.... Are those my headers being made? I must be about due for completion.

Sorry Rob,
That header is going to Georgia as soon as I finish the heat exchanger assy. I've fallen a couple of weeks behind during this moving experience.
I have to finish Paul McHenry's muffler and ship his systen right away too, then I promised Herb Berwald I would build his before I moved - the header is at the coating shop already but the muffler isn't fully assembled.
I think your system is next on my list for assembly, and I do have every piece already cut and prepped so it will move quickly once I have power to all my equipment. The electrician has to come back and make some connections for me still - I sure hope I'm on his schedule for Tuesday.

At the old shop I was constantly moving one thing to work on another. With the added space I think I will be able to work much more efficiently. I tried to set up the shop for parts and materials to require the least amount of travelling as they work their way to becoming completed products. I also worked to maximize the space available for working on cars without having a conflict with the manufacturing side. Now I can easily fit 4 cars and have room to work around all 4. In the past having 2 cars inside was overcrowded and dangerous.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 29 2006, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 29 2006, 11:44 AM) *

Say.... Are those my headers being made? I must be about due for completion.

Sorry Rob,
That header is going to Georgia as soon as I finish the heat exchanger assy. I've fallen a couple of weeks behind during this moving experience.
I have to finish Paul McHenry's muffler and ship his systen right away too, then I promised Herb Berwald I would build his before I moved - the header is at the coating shop already but the muffler isn't fully assembled.
I think your system is next on my list for assembly, and I do have every piece already cut and prepped so it will move quickly once I have power to all my equipment. The electrician has to come back and make some connections for me still - I sure hope I'm on his schedule for Tuesday.

At the old shop I was constantly moving one thing to work on another. With the added space I think I will be able to work much more efficiently. I tried to set up the shop for parts and materials to require the least amount of travelling as they work their way to becoming completed products. I also worked to maximize the space available for working on cars without having a conflict with the manufacturing side. Now I can easily fit 4 cars and have room to work around all 4. In the past having 2 cars inside was overcrowded and dangerous.

Chris,

No worries... I have to pick up the new B Production Motor next Saturday at Parts Heaven. It goes in the week after that. The motor comes with a "euro header" and a Bursch muffler. So I am not without exhaust. I will sell that as soon as yours comes...
I wonder though, what O2 sensor should I use? Any suggestions... This will be only to a guage at first. I may go with aftermarket fuel injection after that.
Anyway, keep me posted.

Rob
crash914
Chris, the shop looks good!

Now its time to finish all those headers and pay the rent...
it sounds like you are very busy..not much time to race...
URY914
Very nice Chris. Where is this shop?
Same town or closer to home for you?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 30 2006, 08:33 AM) *

Very nice Chris. Where is this shop?
Same town or closer to home for you?

Paul,
I'm a little closer to the center of Manchester now. The distance from home is nearly the same (7.5mi) but it takes longer due to the route.

Thanks Herb,
You are absolutely right. I have too much on my plate right now to plan any racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.