Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't kill a 914; don't fiberglass!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I know that fiberglassing is a cheep way to fix a roten spot but there is a better way that will not allow the rust to spread underneath, typical to FGing, and make the matter worse for the next owner. ALL structural parts need to be structuraly sound and must be replaced by the proper component and this is not a structural repair but will preserve the rusted surface from getting worse and or get eaten underneath the FG without you knowing it! I tripped on this repair info in a Car Culture Deluxe magazine, winter of 05 issue page 22-24, and thought it was the BOMB!

The typical repair surface is a rusted, flaked and pitted area like trunk and passenger floors, bottom of doors ect where sand blasting would be needed and even imposible to do without taking the car appart.

The products to use are:
POR-15 & paint brush
A degreaser, (thinner MEK) & rags
Fiberglass mat
Rust removing equipment, steel brush, scrapper....

The trick is to follow all the manufacturer's recommendations for surface preparation for Por-15 and apply generously to the rust spot. Then, put the FG mat on the repair area followed by enough Por-15 over it to saturated the mat in place. Once dried and ready for the second coat, apply another. Done!

The article had silver Por-15 for the first coat but it dosen't matter; black or silver. The best part is that the Por-15 will stop the rust as long as you have all the rust covered up on top and bottom. One thing that I didn't see anywhere about this product and needs to be mentioned is that the stuff is flamable once cured! Please don't put this stuff on or near hot surfaces like the exhaust!

Thanks for saving another teener. wub.gif
MecGen
Hey Man, Welcome to the club !

Yup, POR15 is a product used by quite a few member here, myself included.
Worked well for me, but there are some application issues...

Later
beer.gif
JPB
Ya, since most of the 914 sheetmetal is structural. But to do a quick and dirty fix to pass inspection or just for someone with no tools, it ain't bad. I just purchased a 914 with the rear trunk fiberglassed over on the back part and it is rusted badly to where the FG won't stick in some parts. I would even bet the rust just looked bad when they did the "repair". Before their fix, the rear trunk would have been a sinch to retin. If not cought early in the game, the rust would have spread where the FG covers the metal where moisture would migrate. popcorn[1].gif

All rust must die sawzall-smiley.gif !!!!!!!
jsteele22

So the idea is that you are using the POR-15 to hold the FG in place, and no epoxy ? Is this just to protect an intact area that has rusted on the surface, or is it strong enough for actually for patching holes ?

(I haven't used FG, POR-15, or any of those rust removal tools. Yet.)
JPB
Yes, no resin just Por-15. The magazine focuses on the neoratrod trend thats been gaining momentum lately. These lead sleds are usually roten when someone finds one and to keep the car usable, some use this approach. The Por-15, if used correctly will penetrate into the rust, bonding all the microfractures rust makes into the metal and dries to a very hard, abrasive resistant finish. The fiberglass mat just adds some tension strenth to the product, since the dried paint has next to little of itself. Por-15 loves rust and sticks to it like nothing else. Like concrete which can take impact, scratches and compresion needs rebar and wire mesh to keep from pulling appart under tension, Por-15 requires the FGmat do to its minimal elasticity when applied heavily. The mat creates a bridge and body for thinned out/pitted areas where some strength is needed. The best thing about the deal is that it will stop rust from spreading and is a good alternative since fiberglass resin is not made to be applied onto rust. Por-15 is also designed to kill rust if applied properly on rust itself. Por-15 is less brittle than fiberglass resin and will bond better to rusted areas over a longer period of time. popcorn[1].gif

Crap, I should have just said patches small holes and strengthens thinned out spots due to heavy rusting.
Andyrew
Seen the article..

Dont see why metal wont work...

It is the RIGHT way to do it...

and metal is cheaper than POR15 anyways..
JPB
Cut and replace is the way to go and thats what I did on my floors. Some folks don't have the tools, the time, or the resources to do it right and thats where the FG gets into the mess. Sometimes the floor is bad but still solid and might just need a little Por-15 to preserve what it still has. If done as above, the floor is still covered by the carpeting and it still looks stock underneath. Just a bandaid for the next in line who will do the job right. FG seem to last a couple of years over even treated rust spots but fails soon after not preventing the rust from spreading in humid/salty environments. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 19 2006, 03:18 PM)
Seen the article..

Dont see why metal wont work...

It is the RIGHT way to do it...

and metal is cheaper than POR15 anyways..

agree.gif

Make time. Do it right. You will NOT regret it.
JPB
QUOTE (MecGen @ Mar 19 2006, 09:50 AM)
Hey Man, Welcome to the club !

Yup, POR15 is a product used by quite a few member here, myself included.
Worked well for me, but there are some application issues...

Later
beer.gif

Thanks for the welcome and a cold one b beer.gif ack at ya.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.