Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many lateral G's will a 914 pull?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I was talking to a friend who I had taken for a ride, and he was pretty impressed with how hard I could pin his shoulder to the seatbelt going around a corner. Anyone have one of those accelerometers and can tell me about how much lateral acceleration a 914 on street tires can attain? Stupid question I know, but inquiring minds want to know. I want one of those things, but my war chest is a bit depleted for the car right now, since I just dropped more on my stray dog's knee than I have in the car at this point.
d914
The GPR 914 in the "g's" competion a few years back pulled about 1.1 and .9 going left and right. Not fully set up or coner balanced...This is from a questionable memory...getting old biggrin.gif
Dead Air
I bet Gustl or Jaroon will have a copy of a R&T or Car and Driver article somewhere that has the skidpad #'s.
Tobra
QUOTE (d914 @ Mar 19 2006, 07:59 AM)
The GPR 914 in the "g's" competion a few years back pulled about 1.1 and .9 going left and right. Not fully set up or coner balanced...This is from a questionable memory...getting old biggrin.gif

I remember that, BF Goodrich tires on that one, but if I recall correctly, it had a nowhere near stock suspension on it.
Garland
About 8.7 as I recall
lapuwali
It's going to depend almost entirely on the tires. "Street tires" covers a lot of ground. You'll do a lot better with something like Falkens summer tires than you will with M&S tires.

15 years ago, AX tires were already good enough that most cars that used them could do over 1G. I regularly recorded 1.1-1.2G on my Honda CRX with Yoko A008RS AX tires in the early 90s, using a G-Analyst. The same car with Yoko A509 street tires couldn't do any better than 0.93. On the stock OEM tires, it was more like 0.85. Tires make a BIG difference, even with identical suspensions.

On a skidpad, shocks and spring rates will make almost no difference to G limits. Tires will be 98% of that, with alignment and weight distribution making up the remaining 2%.

jsteele22

I'd guess that when you lose traction and smack into the guardrail you're good for 15 or more..... mueba.gif

BTW, my Saab has a feature that lets you "measure" lateral G's. When I swing hard around a corner, a warning message pops up : "Washer Fluid Low".
Jeff Nelson
Per Car and Driver April 1988, 0.84g on a 300-ft diameter skidpad. This car was running Goodrich 185/70 Euro T/As, no mention of the suspension. This same car was timed at 8.6 seconds for 0 to 60mph, stock 2liter motor.
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 19 2006, 09:16 AM)
It's going to depend almost entirely on the tires.

agree.gif my goodyear schlicks have enough stick to flip the car over in a turn.

not sure how many Gs that would be, but it is scary ...
car didn't slide a bit, even on two wheels, made it through the corner OK ...
ohmy.gif Andy
jsteele22

So thats why they call you sir !
Flat VW
About 8 G's when struck by a mini-van travelling 50 MPH. lol2.gif

John wavey.gif
bryanc
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 19 2006, 01:31 PM)
About 8 G's when struck by a mini-van travelling 50 MPH. lol2.gif

John wavey.gif

Welcome back John!
groot
This doesn't answer your question regarding street tires, but here's a plot from my car at Mid-Ohio on race tires.... 2nd Qualifying session for the 2005 Runoffs.

Peaks of 1.5 gs, sustained 1.45 gs.
Howard
QUOTE (bryanc @ Mar 19 2006, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 19 2006, 01:31 PM)
About 8 G's when struck by a mini-van travelling 50 MPH.  :lol2:

John wavey.gif

Welcome back John!

agree.gif
And you win the best avatar award. smilie_pokal.gif
Great 914club thread. Half humor, half solid info.

Joe Ricard
Red Neck Racer pulled 1.4 lateral on New A3S04's on a particulary fast autocross course.
Can't hardly squeak out a "HOLy shh t" before you are thrown the other way for a repeat.
URY914
I think I'll hit about 6 g's next time out. w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 20 2006, 08:51 AM)
I think I'll hit about 6 g's next time out. w00t.gif

Yea Paul but 6 time hardly nuthin ain't that much. confused24.gif
groot
Slightly off-topic.... but interesting (to me, at least)

A discussion of peak vs. sustained gs. I took some data last week on the 200 foot circle on a competitors vehicle to determine maximum lateral adhesion (you know... the number all the magazines report). Attached is 5 seconds of data, 6 runs (3 in each direction).

The point is.... peak is a curious number and could have more to do with a slight bump or something else. We report this average as .793 gs, but the peaks are as high as .87 gs.
johannes
Click to view attachment

This is what I found on a 1973 french brochure ...

They mesured 0,83 g on a skidpad (diameter 190m). And I presume this was achieved with the thin 165 tyres.

Click to view attachment

crash914
0.97 with falkens....205 50 15. suspension is not stock though....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.