Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MR2 guy thinking about a 914 w/ rotary...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deuces Wild
Hello to all Porsche fanatics!

I`m a MR2 nut who owns two MR2s, an 86 and a 88 Supercharged. But lately I have been thinking a lot more about a 914. My interest stemmed from this page I found a week ago:
http://web2.airmail.net/atl/Rotary.html

I have always wanted to build a rotary powered mid engined light-weight car, but never thought about the 914 before. And now I find myself a week later still dreaming of this car.

Onto the questions: Since I live In California I will need a `72 or earlier model to avoid smog. What is the best model/year pre `72 914 to look for? How bad will the battery rust issue be even for someone in Cali?

Where is the gas tank located? Is it in the frunk? I have gotten too used to having the tank sit in between me and the passenger (mr2 position). If it is in the frunk how is the handling affected full tank compared to near empty?
VegasRacer
Welcome.

The smart guys will follow with their post to better answer your questions. My first race car was a 79 RX-7. There is a lot to be said in favor of a rotary engine.

In Cali. 74 and earlier are smog exempt. Finding a rust free car is more important than any year specific changes. 73 & 74 are generally considered the most desireable. So you can probably get a better price on an earlier car since you are going to convert it. The early ones also have less reinforcing in the doors.

Rust in the longs can go from minimal to crippling in even California cars.
There are many threads here to help you learn what to look for.

The gas tank is in the back of the front trunk. Just about under the windshield.
The effect of full vs. empty on handling are minimal.
Brad Roberts
Deuce.. the biggest problem with a Rotary in a 914: HEAT. The exhaust heat. You dont have room for presilencers and 3 mufflers like you do with a front engine'd car. If you can deal with the exhaust heat.. you'll be pretty happy with the conversion. The biggest complaint I hear about (besides heat) is the factory gearing is all screwed up in the 901 box for the high rpm rotatry engine. 2nd gear is not removable from our input shafts.. but all the other gears can be had in a plethora of ratios. You can purchase a custom mainshaft for the tranny that has a removable 2nd gear (bring money).

Welcome to the BBS. Come join some of the 914 owners here on this board at the German Autofest this weekend in Ventura. See our "nailed" thread at the top of the BBS for dates/times/location.

B
Bleyseng
I think you'll find it easier to install a six cylinder 911 motor to get 200hp in a 914 if you are staying under 200hp.
If you want more (300hp) then a turbo rotary will fit using parts from Kennedy Engineering. Excess heat will be the biggest problem as Brad said besides changing the gearing in the tranny. You might want to go with a 915 tranny that has been worked over and will handle the extra hp. Brad can set one up for you. (see recent posts)

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.