Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: don't try this at home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
ran about 20 minutes at this speed in the racer this morning on the way to the event.
URY914
You're only using HALF the tach. You need to wind that baby up. wink.gif
ChrisFoley
Cool! clap56.gif
On local roads I like to go about twice the posted speed wherever possible but on highways I'm a little more timid and generally don't go more than 30 over. ph34r.gif
boxstr
Don't get caught in Oregon at that speed, $1000 fine and suspended license for 1 month. If they had there way they would put speed bumps on the freeways in Oregon.
CCLINICANTDRIVE55
Allan
My speedo isn't accurate either. w00t.gif
Loser_Cruiser
I hear ya about the oregon thing. Every time i go to portland I try to stay on the washington side as long as possible so i can go at least 60 leagally.
smooth_eddy
I hear ya about the oregon thing. Every time i go to portland I try to stay on the washington side as long as possible so i can go at least 60 leagally.

The speed limit in Washington is 70 MPH....

I think at 100 MPH, you can get a negligent ticket and insurance carriers can cancel your policy instantly. Be careful. Eddy
Andyrew
4300rpms in 5th is 100?

Really...
VegasRacer
Get rid of that Speedo that maxes out at only 120 if you want to go faster.

*(Sorry about the poor composition. I was a little busy at the time following Slits on Route 66.)
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 19 2006, 07:19 PM)
Cool! clap56.gif
On local roads I like to go about twice the posted speed wherever possible but on highways I'm a little more timid and generally don't go more than 30 over. ph34r.gif

Chris you should sell race quiet ear phones with your Headers.
http://www.racequiet.com/

Yes the tach does go higher. and one of the runs I twisted to 7500. instead of shifting. did not get faster.
Last run I shifted at 6000 and 3rd pulled much harder and top speed was higher. cut 2 seconds off time. still slow as crap today, some courses I just have trouble with. the more cones the worser I do.
Can't drive a Miata line confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 20 2006, 01:14 AM)
4300rpms in 5th is 100?

Really...

Why what do you figure? 195/60-15 rear tire ZD 5th gear.
bd1308
Joe, the folks at home just dont believe it....

I mean you could be at home with a hand drill and then lightly pushing the gas....

lol2.gif

nice job!

b
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2006, 07:11 AM)

So are you saying you went that fast to cut down on the time your ears were suffering? laugh.gif
type47
good thing your speedo is in KMPH! wink.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 20 2006, 04:28 AM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2006, 07:11 AM)

So are you saying you went that fast to cut down on the time your ears were suffering? laugh.gif

Yea, map blast said 4.5 hours. I did it in 3 hours 35 minutes with gas stop and a Burger. rolleyes.gif
Can you speak up?

Actually the header isn't too loud if I stay around 75 - 80 MPH.

Britt ya know why the whole picture is kinda blurry? because the whole car is vibrating like a bastard with solid engine, transaxle mounts and Sparco seat is bolted to the floor solid.
bd1308
Joe, maybe its blurry bc you learned how to take pics from Andy chairfall.gif

just playing....thats remarkable. I bet it was a blast!

b
elocke
195/60-15's are smaller in diameter than the stock tire size so your speedo reads slightly high. According to my calculations, based on stock 165/80 tires with 25.4" dia, your speedo reads approx 5% high. So I think you were going about 95. All tires are different though; wear, etc. My '70 has 195/70-15 and the speedo is pretty accurate, but the tires look like balloons. My '74 has well worn 185/70-15 and reads 60 when I'm going 55 (confirmed with stopwatch + mileage markers). So I have to do my 0-60 times as 0-65's.
Ed
Joe Ricard
Yea but I pulled my needle and moved it when I opened up the speedo to fix the odometer.

Matched the speedo with my sons' Focus, Wifes RX-8 and Mothers inlaw's PT cruiser. Plus did the sleeping police man box which verified nearly exactly what the speedo says. Not that a 36 year old speedo would be accurate anyway. Only other car that can match speed with me is the Wife's broom and she won't drive it that fast.
elocke
"pulled my needle" heh heh, heh heh
Great idea! Once I get my tire situ final I think I'll look into that...thanks!
Ed
Jake Raby
Must still have a stock ZD fifth gear....

also you could be a bit off due to tire height changes, but not much. My car is about the same at 4300 RPM...

I have seen 5,500 in fifth with he old Hybrid headed engine..
Joe Ricard
Yea, ZD 5th still looking for a "S" 4th Will be time to to another transaxle soon.

5500 is pretty much Nuts. I will be getting my car re-aligned for the up coming track day. Nuts should be bigger then.

JP told me that the car would be pretty much a handfull with a full on Autocross alignment over 100 MPH. That's putting it mildly. dry.gif
michel richard
Tire size will have no impact on the correlation between the tach and the speedo. All cars with the same gearing will show the same car speed for a given engine speed. The actual speed (as measured with a GPS, for example) will vary with tire size, but not the speed indicated by a stock speedo.
The speedo reads the rotational speed of the pinion shaft of the transmission. The tacho reads the rotational speed of the crankshaft, which is the same as the input shaft of the tranny. The only thing that will impact the relationship between what the two instruments indicate is the the gear that the tranny is in, ZD for example.
Joe Ricard
wacko.gif
Yea sumpin like that.
elocke
Right! And the question is, is the speedo reading the real speed that you're going.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (elocke @ Mar 20 2006, 07:34 AM)
Right! And the question is, is the speedo reading the real speed that you're going.

I believe so.

WANNA RACE???????? driving.gif
Surely was in the big fat ticket and go to jail zone. BTW this was NOT flat out. Need a better surface and no other cars to do that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.