Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marina AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
How was it? How did it go for the members that went?
Bill, Billd,,,,,anyone else?
Trekkor
I just talked to Albert. He said the Silver Boxster put the hurt on everybody.

Linda Smith? I can't remember.

KT
DanT
Ah! The Monster Boxster....3.4L conversion with tons of go fast goodies...like 320HP, Quaife LSD, headers, sports cats, PSS9 coil overs. Usually runs Hoosiers. They were both my AX students last year. I drove the car on the afternoon Long course at the zone AX school. Set the fastest time of the day including all the instructors in all of their own cars. I only got one lap in that car and it was sweet. I also drove Colm Campbells GT2 in the morning short course. Fastest time on that course wtih the GT2.
After driving both cars that day, I would take the Boxster as a track weapon, no questions asked. biggrin.gif
Linda usually beats her husband Larry in that car. He likes it because she lets him continue to spend money on the car and develope it. dry.gif
Wish my wife was into it like that. Oh well laugh.gif
Borderline
Albert's new ride aktion035.gif
DanT
I guess I have been instructing for tooooo looooong. I have instructed Albert's wife in the blue car at Laguna. Very well set up 914. It has been in Norcal for many years in about that same level of preparation.
nine14cats
I came in 2nd place.....Albert took 3rd. biggrin.gif

Fritz had TTOD by 1.1 seconds (Albert was 2nd at that time). My run group had alread finished and I was sitting ~35.5 with Albert at a 36.6. The 3.4 Boxster was running 37's then hits a 36.5 and then a 34.9 in two of it's last three runs. owned.gif

laugh.gif

The morning was beautiful and no wind. The afternoon got windy and Fritz just wouldn't stick to the cold pavement, so I couldn't do any better than a 35.7 in the PM.

The layout of the course looked like a horsepower track and had a 3rd gear section, but it really was more of a flowing turn type of track. I actually really enjoyed driving it.

So Fritz is 2nd place in his first 2 AX's......I hope the Alameda course is a HP course where we can stretch our legs a little, along with some twisty stuff. I'm happy where I ended up considering we're still in the honeymoon stage with the car.

One thing I noticed today was I couldn't get any heat into the front tires. They were stone cold after every run and did not grow in pressure at all. I even took really late turns in my first few runs of the afternoon to try to scrub some heat into them......no joy....

Ah...it was still a hoot....We'll try again later in the year for a TTOD. The car's capable....but the driver may be holding Fritz back... wink.gif

Bill P.
Trekkor
couldn't get any heat into the front tires

That's exactly what Albert said.

Makes me wish I was there...Heh heh.

KT
DanT
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 19 2006, 09:45 PM)
I came in 2nd place.....Albert took 3rd. biggrin.gif

Fritz had TTOD by 1.1 seconds (Albert was 2nd at that time). My run group had alread finished and I was sitting ~35.5 with Albert at a 36.6. The 3.4 Boxster was running 37's then hits a 36.5 and then a 34.9 in two of it's last three runs. owned.gif

laugh.gif

The morning was beautiful and no wind. The afternoon got windy and Fritz just wouldn't stick to the cold pavement, so I couldn't do any better than a 35.7 in the PM.

The layout of the course looked like a horsepower track and had a 3rd gear section, but it really was more of a flowing turn type of track. I actually really enjoyed driving it.

So Fritz is 2nd place in his first 2 AX's......I hope the Alameda course is a HP course where we can stretch our legs a little, along with some twisty stuff. I'm happy where I ended up considering we're still in the honeymoon stage with the car.

One thing I noticed today was I couldn't get any heat into the front tires. They were stone cold after every run and did not grow in pressure at all. I even took really late turns in my first few runs of the afternoon to try to scrub some heat into them......no joy....

Ah...it was still a hoot....We'll try again later in the year for a TTOD. The car's capable....but the driver may be holding Fritz back... wink.gif

Bill P.

Those damn newer cars just keep getting faster dry.gif sad.gif

I remember about trying to get heat into Fritz's tires when it is cold out biggrin.gif
When you and Fritz finally have a complete meeting of the minds, TTOD will be yours for the taking wink.gif
nine14cats
I was talking with Albert right after he came off of one of his runs. His tires were cold too. The radials on the students cars were hot. I tried different lines and still couldn't find a faster line, so that was it.

That 3.4 Boxster is sweet! And I instructed one of the folks I had at the AX school in the 987. I really, really like that car. I wish I could have one to thrash for a day at an AX!

Bill P.

DanT
I feel really badly for you guys running those Big A$$ Slicks ohmy.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

Those tires are so wide you can't go fast enough to get any heat in them on a cold day on an AX course wink.gif

Lets see, student with radial tires....new driver with skinny tires over driving into corner and pushing their way through, heavy car....hot front tires.

Well set up, well driven light race car on veeery wide slicks. cold front tires.

Math works for me smile.gif

Just get yourself a set of R radials for AX.

wink.gif

Just bustin your chops Bill. I have race car/big motor envy biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Ah, yes, front tire heat...or lack thereof....my bug-a-boo
too (humm, poetry)

So, what's better, a hot narrower tire or a not warm wider one?

The only time I've gotten my fronts hot was on a skid pad and then they were awsome....neck stretchers.

I'm going a half inch narrower in the same compound....an inch would be more to my liking, but there aren't any.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 19 2006, 09:45 PM)
One thing I noticed today was I couldn't get any heat into the front tires.

drive backwards? confused24.gif
biggrin.gif

was the front sticking ok?
drop the tire pressure in the front ...
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.