Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
Yesterday I did my first AX. Had a blast and plan to do more. Only a couple of MG's were the only cars older than mine. Top time was in the 28 second range by a very serious racing Corvette. My best was a 32.923. Got five runs and improved on each one. I couldn't believe how many modern expensive cars I beat! Temps were in the high 30's and traction sucked. here are some pics.
robby750
asdf
Mueller
smilie_pokal.gif

it's amazing ain't it... to show the new $30K dollar cars what an old simple 914 can do........

Joe Ricard
NICE smilie_pokal.gif

Next time you will try to steer a tighter line through that section. But looking at the tire tracks looks like others were WAY worser than you.

Fastest way through an "S" turn is a straight line. or as much as possible. driving.gif
robby750
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 20 2006, 08:04 AM)
smilie_pokal.gif

it's amazing ain't it... to show the new $30K dollar cars what an old simple 914 can do........

You're right. I amazed a lot of guys, including myself!
TROJANMAN
congrats. i am planning on taking an AX training course later this month.

is your car set up with sway bars?
URY914
You have now been bittin' Good luck. biggrin.gif

Did you win your class ('70s mid-engine, 4 banger, on street tires)?
Unless an Fiat X19 was there you won. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Ricard
Who was the event run by? Looks like you were in ES class????? What's that all about? all 4cyl 914's are in CS for SCCA.
What other cars were in your class?
blitZ
Way to go. This is encouraging, planning on trying my first AX soon.
robby750
I don't understand the classes. I was running with a couple of Miatas, MR2. an 944(we tied). The Toyota was fastest and a Miata second. So I tied for 3rd. This was E Stock. If they go by mid 70's 4 cylinder, I would win just by showing up I guess.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2006, 08:15 AM)
Who was the event run by? Looks like you were in ES class????? What's that all about? all 4cyl 914's are in CS for SCCA.
What other cars were in your class?

Becareful AXing is addictive, ask me how I know cool.gif

agree.gif with Joe, CS for stock then DSP, SM2, on up depending on mods to the car. If you find you really like AXing then I would recommend attending an Evolution driving school or some other AX training. I went my first season (2004) doing what I thought was right. At the start of 2005 my region had a evolution driving school, cost me $150 for the day, got well over 30 runs in with National level solo drivers in my car, WOW I learned a lot.

It sure is nice to beat them modern cars with my little 95Hp 914 cool.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (robby750 @ Mar 20 2006, 08:18 AM)
I don't understand the classes. I was running with a couple of Miatas, MR2. an 944(we tied). The Toyota was fastest and a Miata second. So I tied for 3rd. This was E Stock. If they go by mid 70's 4 cylinder, I would win just by showing up I guess.

Class really shouldn't matter. They should have a novice class where you run against other novice drivers and times are index based on what class your car should be in if you weren't "Novice"

We group cars together in a PAX class if they have no one else to run against. Best index time in PAX wins teh PAX class.

Bottom line is to have fun and to learn how your car handles.
robby750
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 20 2006, 08:26 AM)

agree.gif with Joe, CS for stock then DSP, SM2, on up depending on mods to the car. If you find you really like AXing then I would recommend attending an Evolution driving school or some other AX training. I went my first season (2004) doing what I thought was right. At the start of 2005 my region had a evolution driving school, cost me $150 for the day, got well over 30 runs in with National level solo drivers in my car, WOW I learned a lot.

It sure is nice to beat them modern cars with my little 95Hp 914 cool.gif

Exactly. My total track time yesterday was about 165 seconds. Takes a long time to learn at that rate.
krazykonrad
Awesome! I did my 1st AX this weekend as well. It was way fun and I hope to do it again soon! w00t.gif
robby750
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Mar 20 2006, 08:09 AM)
congrats. i am planning on taking an AX training course later this month.

is your car set up with sway bars?

I have a stock front swaybar that I recently installed and four new Bilsteins. I don't think I'd like to do this without the sway bar. It really does make a huge difference in the way the car handles.
Joe Ricard
And down the slippery slope they slide. lol2.gif

Barry is also bitten and I'm working him for a co drive of his car. Help him tighten up the driving nut. driving.gif

See if you all lived down this way you would already have 4 events under your belt. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.