Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Bowflex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Ok so I'm trying to redfine my physique as something other then "roundish". I've changed my diet, I'm back on my bike but need to add something else to the mix as well.

I'm looking at a Bowflex, I'm going to buy a used one. I'm looking into the Power Pro and the Motivator. Both are available locally for rather short money used. Anyone have experience with either they could share?

Trying to become less Mike-The-Hut and more like my svelt former (pre-married) self.

My best,
Mike D.
VaccaRabite
I've got one. They work as long as you keep up with using them.

However, they use up a bigger footprint then you think. Even folded, it is not a thing that you aregoing to be able to roll into a closet when guests come. It will become the centerpiece of the room that you put it in.

You will probably find (compared to lifting old fashioned iron) that wioth a bowflex you will tone faster then get really strong. When I bought my house, all of a sudden I stopped gymming. I used to lift dumbells 3-4 times a week. I was strong, but not cut.

When I replaced iron with lifting at home with the bowflex, I started toning up. I looked better, but when I went back to lifting iron one day, I found out that I had lost some strength.

Its a good machine, and should last jsut about forever - even if you use it daily. Feeinds of mine (who actually use them several times a week, instead of just storing them in a room) have had one for several years now.

If you have any strength right ow at all, you are going to need to upgrade the power rods. Basically, it is another 2 50# rods. My machine maxes at 210 pounds, and I was bouncng off the max pretty quickly. For doing exercises like squats I pretty much just started at the max weight and went for reps instead of power. But, I was CSOB and did not upgrade the rods.

Just like anything else - it only works if you use it. And it takes up a lot of spaceif you don't.

Zach
turboman808
I'm pretty dead set against any kind of weight training. I find that just doing certain activites will give you what you want. Now if you want to be a hulking monster yeah you will have to lift weights. Otherwise it's kinda a waste of time(unless you just really enjoy it).

I simply just run, bike and swim. It keeps me in shape and still enjoy the company of ladies way to young for me so it must work.

My brother also doesn't lift weights and he is actualy really big. He is a martial arts teacher and does grappling and fighting daily. Needless to say it really keeps him in shape. Not to mention he could kick just about anyones ass. Most people would assume he must do weight training if you saw him.

Could also just be our families genes biggrin.gif
sk8kat1
aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif BOWFLEX ROCKS!!

I have had a power pro for about 6 years --used a lot and did very well created lean muscle quickly -- but I did experiecne it is a little different type of strength -- I would say that yes try and get one w/ the rod upgrades of more than the stock 210# --

I played aussie rules football at the time and it made more flexable batter range of motion muscle than the more bulky freeweight type muscle mass
Eric_Shea
I find the Weider Crossbow to BLOW IT AWAY for 1/4 the price. I have this and a set of the Nordic/Bowflex 520 dumbells.
r_towle
I have a full blown universal gym you can have for really cheap.

Pull down, leg lift, bench press, leg press, butterfly stand.

Its all cable driven/ adjustable with all the weights etc.

Let me know, I have some pics...

Rich
Brando
I have a Bowflex Power Pro here at my place. It gets used by 2 people almost daily. It has held up over the last 3 years without issue. It has improved my tone and strength quite a bit. If you follow the guide included you can build up your strength. part of the focus is a healthy diet, proper supplements. Last year before I broke my wrist I was maxed out on the weights (150# per side) when doing upper arm and body exercises. Get the power-rod addon if that happens to you smile.gif I just don't have the cash... At my age and with the ladies... looks are what count...
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 20 2006, 10:26 AM)
I find the Weider Crossbow to BLOW IT AWAY for 1/4 the price. I have this and a set of the Nordic/Bowflex 520 dumbells.

WOW, after seeing all the info-mercials on the Weider, then NONE, at all,
I thought they had stopped selling them.
I had a couple of fitness stores tell me that the Bowflex was quite a bit better piece of equipment vs the Weider piece, of course they also Sold the Bowflex too.

a buddy has the Bowflex, likes it alot.
rick 918-S
I love to watch the girls wub.gif work out on the infomercials. Does that count? cool_shades.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2006, 12:26 PM)
I love to watch the girls wub.gif work out on the infomercials. Does that count? cool_shades.gif

shocked[1].gif av-943.gif
tat2dphreak
you can get a great workout with a big yoga ball and some dumbells, and a medicine ball...

use the yoga ball as a bench(shoulders on the ball, feet together) and dumbells for bench press/butterflys... I thought it sounded dumb too... but it freaking works!!

I personally like going to the gym to work out though... if I go home, there are 100 other things I need and want to do, at the gym, there's only 1 thing to do besides workout, and that raises the heart rate too... biggrin.gif
Toast
I've wanted one for about 8 years now. But never had the dough.
I even sent off for the brosure and vhs video. laugh.gif

If you decide to get one, let us know how it works for you.

And gentlemen,..............

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.