Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a bit ot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Great gadget! Put one on your car and follow someone. Neighbor in my office bldg with 328GTSi looks at my puny 73 2.0 and I have to listen to the 'NARP' crap, Pucini sounds better than Wagner, etc.

'OK, David. See you on Portrero Road tomorrow morning and we'll see.'

Shrunk this as much as I could, but still almost 2 meg, so apologies to dial ups. Will be in Ventura Saturday and hope to get 914 parade filmed on way back to Chris' festivities.

See you there.

http://thehowardagency.com/328.wmv
nebreitling
doood

i heard the sound but the screen was all black! can anyone else view this?

WindowsMediaPlayer for OSX is kind of screwy, maybe that's the problem. mad.gif
JWest
I saw it fine...
VegasRacer
I worked for me.
ChrisReale
I had no problem viewing it. Ya kept up and you guys were not out of control, so good job smilie_pokal.gif
Howard
We were in control (he did swing a bit wide on one turn) but that was with my stock 165's. Put the 205 Toyos back on and will seriously whip his ass next time!
Jeroen
It's obvious the guy in the Fiat can't drive for SHIT!!!
He's braking while turning confused24.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

PS this is not ment to put you down Howard, just more wood to slap him around with
seanery
Howard,

Where were you guys? Up near Kanan and Topanga areas?
machina
wish we had roads like that in florida, it is ---f l a t --- here.

Always catch the other cars in the corners.

dr driving.gif
mike_the_man
I can't view it either. Not sure what the problem is. The computer seems to think it's an audio file. Stupid computer!
seanery
update your windows media player.
current version is in the 9's.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 11 2003, 03:01 PM)
update your windows media player.
current version is in the 9's.

did ya read the S-EULA that came with WMP 9 ?? i did, declined the install, then had to do a system restore to recover because if you don't agree to the EULA - IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU YOUR OLD ONE BACK !!!

basically, the WMP-9 S-EULA says MicroLimp can install whatever software they want and do anything they want with it to "enforce media rights."

screw that ...
#1RAGE
Ugh... I wish I had roads like that here. It is very flat where I live. I have been searching for some good roads for my 914 but haven't found any nearby.

If anyone happens to know of any good roads in Saskatchewan, let me know! smile.gif
Howard
seanery, a little Northwest of there, but close.

jeroen, it's REALLY downhill there. I did the same.

Media issues. Here's a good viewer that has nothing to do with Mr. Gates. http://www.irfanview.com

Download it and try it.
EdwardBlume
Reminds me of 154 behind Santa Barbara. Nothing like an open CA mountain road! wink.gif
Eric Taylor
Yeah same here RE: OS X media player. I wish microsoft woud update us into the 9's. Do you have an MPEG or AVI?
Eric
Aaron Cox
cool vid. is yours a /4 or a /6?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 11 2003, 05:36 PM)
...is yours a /4 or a /6?

... 73 2.0
Howard
It's a stock FI 4, not a conversion. Lots of suspension work, but PO intended it as 'stock improved'. Just starting to get it working.

Working on mpeg, but if any of you computer types know an easy way to convert wmv files to avi, mpeg or whatever, let me know.

Oh, and #1rage. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is the greatest sounding town on earth. Try to say it 3 times fast.
campbellcj
Cool little video Howard! Is that Portrero? I've only driven that road once, and I was stuck behind some (road) Hogs.

I don't have my camera hooked up yet so hopefully you can get some video shots on Saturday.

I have Premiere and some other apps that can recode the video to basically any format imaginable. Lemme know if you'd like to do that.
Howard
Chris, if you convert it and email to me, I'll post so all those loser mac types smile.gif can read it.
Brad Roberts
I would have passed him by turn 3..lol

Back the view of the camera up just a little so we can see the fender pods for the turn signals. This gives the viewers a better reference point than a sloping hood that goes away in the frame.

B
Howard
Everyone's a critic. That's my first try. And I haven't been in a Porsche (or any sports car)since 77. But age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm. Give me some time smile.gif
Brad Roberts
It wouldnt be any fun if we didnt critique it.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

B
Jeroen
Howard,

Downhill or not, DON'T BRAKE IN A TURN!!!
If you fear you're going to fast, just hold on to your steeringwheel, but never touch the brakes. There's no excuse for doing so biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
It does not look like Premiere (6) will take a .wmv file as input. If you have an original copy in .avi format then we should be able to convert it to Quicktime, MPEG (1/2/4), DivX etc. but the programs I have do not want to start with a Windows Media file...then can go TO a .wmv file...hmmm

This is way OT but I was fiddling with one of those DVD ripper apps the other day. It works. The output sucks up about 1GB per hour of video+audio, though.
#1RAGE
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 11 2003, 08:36 PM)
Oh, and #1rage. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is the greatest sounding town on earth. Try to say it 3 times fast.

laugh.gif

It's not a bad place, just too far from any hills or mountains. Someone on this board from Regina, Saskatchewan (3 hours from here) contacted me saying he knows of some twisties. Hmm cool.gif
fiid
Cool pic. I have heard (and witnessed) 308s overheat quite easily. The 308 that I saw at Thunderhill raceway had 205s on it, so I'm confident you could take him with 205s on your car.

I see that I too will have to get one of these cameras.

What does NARP mean?

Fiid.
Aaron Cox
yeah- if i wanted to tape a run with a camera- a) how would i mount it b)ive heard that you turn off auto focus, true? c) what cameras would be able to upload to a comp? smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 12 2003, 02:00 PM)
What does NARP mean?

Not A Real Porsche.

commonly uttered by 914 detractors.
seanery
any camera with firewire or 1394 and some USB 2.0.

Basically, any of the DVCPro and DV Cam & Digital 8 cameras are what you're looking for
campbellcj
With a cheapo video capture card, you can get footage into your 'puter from even the old analog tapes, or any other source. I have captured stuff from cable/satellite as well as VHS that way, with a $75 card, and it works pretty darn well.

A lot of people caution against putting an expensive mini-DV camera into a car regularly/permanently because of vibration, heat, moisture etc. But I doubt that casual use once in a while would really be a problem. A hardcore RaceCam type of system is big bucks and typically uses a mobile VCR that's hardwired and mounted into the car, with one or more remote cameras.

I'm gonna use a hybrid approach, with my DV cam in a padded, bolted-in box, and a little remote camera from Supercircuits. It has a 50° field of view and is tiny and pretty sturdy (ABS enclosure) so can be mounted just about anywhere.
Howard
The pictures shown were taken with a Panasonic DV103 (open box, $350 @ circuit city) but Samsung makes a nice one for a bit less at Costco.

Used an IOport roll bar camera mount (most racing shops carry them, about $90) that has a very effective damping isolator. If you notice in the movie, rear view mirror is bouncing but view is pretty steady.

Used autofocus, and not bad, but book advises manual when shooting through glass now that I read it.

Camera also has image stabilization but did not use. Will try both next time.

Bottom line: Mini DV is nice as it goes directly into PC by firewire cable. They're getting cheaper, and with a good mount I'll bet it will hold up. Creating video movies makes HUGE files. The one I posted, 1min 40s started as 10meg. Shrunk it low res but still almost 2 meg. You will need a cd or dvd writer.
KaptKaos
Makes me dizzy!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.