Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone got megasqurit on there 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratt
The 74 im picking up has been de-injected. They put on Dual dellotos(sp?). anyways, My friend Jeff is running Megasquirt on his 1971 BMW. The 914 comes with all the original Fuel injection equipment except for the fuel distributer(I think thats what it was). Is it possible to use the stock injection set-up with the megasquirt ecu? Has anyone else done this conversion?
Thanks for any info
Andy Rattley
Bleyseng
Dave Hunt has and posts all the time. Do a search for his posts.
Its pretty easy to use the stock FI if you have all the pieces as it runs pretty well as is.

Geoff
crash914
I am working on this right now....I have the ecu built and relay board completed.

I just finished the Wbo2 kit with the display.

I hope that I have this tested in the car in a couple of weeks....too much work sucks....good luck, herb
DNHunt
Andy

Welcome to the board. Follow the link at the bottom of the post. It will take you to my web page for the conversion. I've got about 2000 mile on it and it's been great

Dave
Jeff Bonanno
crash,

how tough/easy was building the wbo2? what was the final cost? an onboard lambda sure would be nice for tuning.

jbb
DNHunt
Jeff

I built the DIY-WBo2. It was the hardest board of all of them in the project. Also the NTK sensor is really expensive ($120 used). It lets you get close with the tuning but it is very difficult to road tune high load, high rpm. Having on board O2 lets you run closed loop which smoothes things out a tiny bit.

If I was doing it today I would go 1 of 2 ways. 1 Build a MS board and load my stuff then spend some time and money to dyno it to dial it in and forget about WBO2. Or, 2 Wait foe Ultramegasquirt and get everything on 1 board then tune and dyno. UMS will be a ton better and include ignition but it is still vaporware and Bruce and Al take a long time to get from testing to production.

For now I'm staying pat and planning coil on plug ignition with a variation of MS.

Dave
Brad Roberts
Keep us informed Dave... your heading down the right path with COP.

Do you want to build a system for me ??.. I just thought of a project that could use a MS system on a warmed over 2056. I would like to use a more radical cam in the engine...hum (thinking)

The system wouldnt have to be COP for my customer.. I could buy your running setup (It was clean)

B
DNHunt
Brad

With a new system the issue is the WBO2 sensor. The DIY-WBO2 site is just kind of limping along and I don't know about sourcing the NTK sensor.

If you don't need O2 the MS would be pretty simple but would need some dyno time to dial in. After that it should run fine.

At this point I need my system. When UMS is out I'll be in line for it but I just don't believe they will make fall as a release time. Al and Bruce try as hard as they can but they have almost created a monster with the success of MS.

I'd build you one but I'm really just a hack when it comes to assembly and I don't mind using it myself because if it busts it's on me, but I'd feel really bad if someone broke down out in the middle of nowhere and it was my fault

Dave
crash914
The wide band unit...www.wbo2.com.... cost around $155 for the board kit.. add about $50 for the display and $50 for the o2 sensor and connectors.....it is depressing once you add it all up.....it fun to put together though....its the experiance that counts!!!

Good luck!! herb
Jeff Bonanno
thanks Dave and Herb.
fiid
I have a 1.7 (argh) with WB-O2 and Megasquirt.

It runs well, wasn't too hard to do, and isn't too bad for tuning if you use datalogging and MSTweak3K (which is tricky to get going, but I can help you).

The only thing I found was vaguely interesting was getting a throttle position sensor. Turns out that a Subaru TPS fits on the D-jet Throttle body with just an adaptor plate ( drill 4 holes in a flat bit of aluminum ).

I pretty much removed the D-jet brain and worked out which wires to wire into the MS.

The D-jet provides +ve to the injectors where the MS provides ground switching, so I reversed the wiring on the standard wiring harness.

If you pull the injector grounds (two of the plugs) (test them all!) from the 3 point ground on the block, you can run them to +ve and then use the wiring from the brain plug to run into the MS.

I ran the hose that normally goes to the MPS straight to the pressure sensor on the megasquirt.

The Megasquirt board is really easy to build and test. Follow the instructions and you will have a fully functioning board in no time. As the WB02 - it is not as slick as the MS - you have to test a lot of voltage levels and stuff all over the board, and the support is not as good as the MS list. When it is all up and running though, it is very cool.

Fiid.
crash914
I picked up my tps from a guy in tennessee...$40.00 it is d-shaft, just rotates opposite...got to flip it over, no big deal...ask on the megasquirt board...the o2 sensor uses the vw wideband. its $23.00 at 1st vw parts.

The unit is techedge wbo2. The other wideband sensor is way expensive....+ $150.00 this one uses the lsu4.....herb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.