Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC-Cost odf living in san Jose area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
I know a few of the club members live in the bay area. I have a possible job opportunity in San Jose, and was wondering what the area is like, how the cost of living is, blah blah blah.... But the most important thing is, how often is there an AX in that area, and is it year round? huh.gif
seanery
Isn't the bay area the highest cost of living in the US?
campbellcj
Yeah, it is "overall" quite steep up there.

But, just like SoCal, if really depends -exactly- where you want to be located and what kind of accomodations. Obviously down here you can spend anywhere from a few hundred bucks in rent for a room in a shared house/apt, up to many thousands a month for primo real estate. If you're buying, you can still get a place for under $200K if you feel like commuting a LONG way or living in gang-banger hoods; or you could spend $20mil on a beachfront mansion. It's all relative.

Our state income tax runs about 8-10% IIRC and our sales tax is also around 8% depending what county/city.

I would guess that your other costs like insurance, gas, food etc would really not be that different from Seattle. Seattle is not exactly the bargain basement of the US either.
vortrex
gas will be expensive and housing will be expensive. anything else and you're looking at roughly the same prices as anywhere else. you also don't have to live right in san jose or silicon valley for that matter. east of san jose has cheaper living and south too. you could even live in the santa cruz area and have a decent commute to san jose, though it would be crossing the mountains.
mightyohm
I just moved to Mountain View (off 101 at the base of the Peninsula) from San Diego, like 2 weeks ago. I am not looking to own a house, just renting, so that made a big difference in my cost of living in this area. I have found that as far as rent goes, this area is roughly equivalent to San Diego and rents are what I am used to. I found a room for just over $500 a month that is nearly ideal for what I need, my only complaint is that I do not get a garage space in the house I am living in. But the rent is so cheap I will live with it.

So to me it all seems reasonable. But I realize that San Diego is probably also pretty high on the list. But to me it was worth it to move. I get to be with my gf who lives in downtown SF (awesome) and the Bay Area in general is just an incredible place to live.

I think it used to be the case that salaries here were higher to compensate for the higher cost of living. With the economy so bad, I think companies have stopped doing this for the most part. But again, I have found that rates are very similar to San Diego, at least for electrical engineers.
vortrex
yup, salaries dropped a lot in the tech field, that is why I am in philly! I was getting interviews in SF for what I was making 4 years earlier. it's funny though, prices just don't seem to drop (at least not in SF). I sold my house for way more than I was expecting. someone out there is still making the $$$!
Britain Smith
It is all about where you want to be and what you would do to be there. I moved out here from Texas in June and started working at Intel. They pay me a 15% differential for living in this area and it covers a bit of the extra expense, but I am living in a place that has wonderful weather, Porsche's everywhere, and I job that I really wanted...therefore I can justify the expense.

You don't have to live here forever...it is all about your additude towards your surroundings. If you complain about the cost of living everyday and keep kicking yourself in the ass, then I would say it is not worth it. But, if you enjoy the sunshine and the you have a job that you really enjoy then I say go for it.

As a bonus, you get to go up to Brad's shop on the weekends and cut up 914's...or you can help build my motor...

-Britain
JeffBowlsby
I have lived in several places in this country and the Bay Area is hard to beat, in spite of all the critics. But I cannot imagine living any place else...

I could move 100 miles away from here and live like royalty...but then it wouldnt be the same as being here, so I will stay in my small, overpriced house for awhile longer.

You have to experience what its like being here...and then not being here to understand what you are missing.
vortrex
bowlsby is 100% correct, and I just tested his theory. you live there for a while and you just "expect" things. once you leave you realize how much that area has to offer. I vow to return someday...
Randal
[But the most important thing is, how often is there an AX in that area, and is it year round?]

You asked about AutoX's (or other events?) in the Bay area.

If you really got serious about running events, between NASA, SCCA, PCA and other local groups or clubs you could probably run an AutoX 4 times a month between March and November.

If you include PCA time trials at Thunderhill, Laguna Seca or Sear Point, add 8 more major weekend events per year.

If you start going with other groups to these same tracks (track days) you could probably be driving "track events" 4 times per month.

I don't know a lot about club racing but my guess is that they have 6 or 8 events per year as well.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, i.e., there is probably as much participant motor sport stuff going on here as anywhere. You could, without a doubt do something with motor sports every weekend from March through November, and find the event well attended.

Bring lots of gasoline!
JeffBowlsby
I vow to return someday...

There is a saying around here...

You can leave, but you can never come back...

BradMeisteR has said before that there are events within driving distance on any given weekend, throughout the year...Its more about time and money than opportunity.
krk
Lots have written on the racing activities.

With unlimited $$, the bay area actually *is* perfect. (duh -- with unlimited $$ there are lots of "perfect" places... lol) If you are a geek, it's also pretty close to perfect. If you are a P-junkie (or actually any kind of car-junkie), it's also pretty close to perfect. All of this is true if you're making pretty good $$ at your day job.

The cost of living here is not trivial. Rents are better these days -- one of the few upsides to the tech crash -- but housing prices seem to be still fairly stiff. Commuting is easier since the tech crash as well. SJ is becoming a better place to live (city investment, etc).

I've not lived in an area with the tech activity that we have here. It depends on what you are looking for.

hth.

kim.
Brad Roberts
Yep. 52 weeks a year I can be in a car at some track related event (all within 4 hours of my house).

Chris... you will need at LEAST 50k a year to survive here. Its one thing to live here.... its another to "live" here. If you have money saved.. buy a 1 bedroom condo (300-400K) with 10% down. Once your IN this housing nightmare..you will be fine for life. The hard part is getting in. Saving 30-60k is pretty difficult to do making 50k a year and paying 1300-1500 a month in rent somewhere.

BTDT.. I'm not sure I will ever be able to swing buying a house here. I moved here with enough crap to fill a 3 bedroom house (I had a large 3 bedroom house in North Texas by age 21).. so we had gathered a ton of "crap"... I didnt have a choice of living by myself and saving money for a down payment for a 1 bedroom condo.. I had too much crap. So.. listen to all that live here... It is GREAT. But you better have a handle on your finances. I feel right now is the BEST time to move here. Rents are WAY down and housing prices are not going up as fast as they where.

B
Korijo
I lived in SF for more than year. Travelled to SJ offen. SJ is much nicer (and cheaper wink.gif )

IMO, doan do it. BTDT. It was a "nice place to visit..." Something better will come up locally.

smilie_rolli_1.gif
ChrisReale
Something better will come up locally, but in the mean time, Im sleeping until 100pm, waking up depressed, not getting paid, and writing stuff drunk like I am right now! I don't know if i am willing to put up with the Seattle traffic, shit weather, and all the fucking snobs moving into my neighborhood. I could wait for something local, but how long will that be? mad.gif
Brad Roberts
Take the job in San Jose. We can find you a room. You will LOVE NorCal and the weather. Its pretty nice to be able to drive your car for 9 months out of the year. It rains off and on for 2-3 months and everything is green until summer.

B
nine14cats
Hey Chris,

If you decide to move down to San Jose, just let us know and we'll give you the tour on all of the ins and outs of the area. Housing is definitely expensive, but it is nice to live here for a variety of lifestyle reasons...not even racing related.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.