Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail light troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silversprint
I have been trying to make all the light work on a recently acquired '73 914. I got all the other lights to work except the right rear tail lights. None of the light in that housing works.

I replaced the housing with the one from my other 914 and still nothing works.

All te fuses have been replaced.

Any one have the wiring diagrams for the rear lights?

Any ideas?
messix
do you have a volt ohm meter?
silversprint
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 21 2006, 05:06 PM) *

do you have a volt ohm meter?

Tinkered with it again today. I have no voltage in the light sockets. The funny thing is that none of the lights on the rear right works. This includes, tail, turn, or revers.

Any one have a wiring diagrams for the lights.

The light on the fornt and the left rear all work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(silversprint @ Apr 30 2006, 12:47 PM) *

Tinkered with it again today.

check and double-check the grounds ...

wiring diagram is in the haynes manual ...
smile.gif Andy
Spoke
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 30 2006, 04:05 PM) *

check and double-check the grounds ...

wiring diagram is in the haynes manual ...
smile.gif Andy

agree.gif

It would seem odd (although not impossible) that all of the wires to all the light bulbs are bad. When testing for voltage, did you measure between the bulb socket terminals or from socket terminals to a good ground on the chassis?

Does the backup light also not work?

Spoke
silversprint
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 30 2006, 01:28 PM) *

It would seem odd (although not impossible) that all of the wires to all the light bulbs are bad. When testing for voltage, did you measure between the bulb socket terminals or from socket terminals to a good ground on the chassis?

Does the backup light also not work?

Spoke

The ground wire is good. But I think the light assembly itself is bad. Looks like water had been leaking inside and everything is corroded badly.

The backup light also does not work.
jsteele22

My car has the same "feature", only it's intermittent. Before I had the car legally registered, I got pulled over twice in a stretch of about 5 miles due to the tailight being out. When I finally tracked down the owner before the previous owner of the car (to get it registered legally) he told me that the car had once upon a time been stolen. Cops recovered it when they pulled it over due to the right rear tail-light not working.....

It's still on my to-do list. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck.

Spoke
QUOTE(silversprint @ Apr 30 2006, 05:16 PM) *

The ground wire is good. But I think the light assembly itself is bad. Looks like water had been leaking inside and everything is corroded badly.

The backup light also does not work.

If you measure the voltage on the wires connecting to the lamp unit, you can determine if it's the wiring or the unit. If there is voltage on the wires, then it is your lamp unit. If so, from there, you can use the ohm meter to find where the wires/lamp fixtures have corroded.

Spoke
MarkV
This helped me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.