Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Claymore_5by5
Hello everybody!!

My name is Robert, but I picked up the nickname of Claymore while I was in the Army.

I was recently retired from the Army after 21 years (medically), so, naturally, my wife left me. Go Figure. Right after that, I had to have surgery to fix the damage the Army did and had to celebrate my 40th birthday on a walker. Instant midlife crisis!!

So I did what any red-blooded american male would do: I bought a '74 Porsche 2.0. I was fortunate enough to catch one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. $500.00!! I've got shrink my photos before I can post a picture of the beast.

I'll be pestering y'all for advice and ideas, so, in advance, I thank you and apologize.

Robert
jd74914
Welcome to the club smilie_pokal.gif

You got a great deal on that 2.0 biggrin.gif
markb
welcome.png

Now don't forget to invest in the manditory 4 jackstands. laugh.gif
SirAndy
welcome.png if it runs, $500 is a great deal!

oh, and ...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
Chris Pincetich
welcome.png

Wow, what a roller coaster...from my experience with the 914 so far, only 6 months, it would be a lot easier to spend time and money on the car w/o the woman around laugh.gif

This web site and the "search" function should keep you busy for hours. I spend way too much time daydreaming about 3.6L twin plug engines, polished Fuchs, and Koni Yellows...wlecome to the club!
beerchug.gif
sk8kat1
QUOTE (markb @ Mar 22 2006, 01:27 PM)
welcome.png

Now don't forget to invest in the manditory 4 jackstands. laugh.gif

and get a good welder to attach them with!! av-943.gif
drewvw

welcome.png

You'll quickly discover that these guys (and gals) are the best when it comes to helping out with almost anything....
lotus_65
w e l c o m e . . .

don't expect to think about too many other things.

don't expect to ever finish it.

have a good therapist on the off chance you can't log in.

you've been warned~

assimilate.gif
Flat VW
welcome.png

My wife Laurie and I rode our teener across Highway 32 all across Missouri and Kansas on our return to Arizona from the Fall Foliage Classic this year. I like farmland, it reminds me of my youth in Michigan.

I betting you will like the information and the comraderie you may find here like no where else.

welcome to the non-club, someone will explain later....

John wavey.gif
Howard
welcome.png
Share the Claymore story. Did you forget to read the "This side towards enemy" sticker?
KaptKaos
welcome.png

Thank you for your service.

You'll find lots of fun here.
SLITS
welcome.png

Well, now that that's over....let the bashing begin! poke.gif
Allan
wavey.gif and welcome.png
Elliot_Cannon
welcome.png

You're probably better off without her. Nice score on the 914. If you have any questions about the car ask Slits.
Cheers, Elliot
ClayPerrine
Welcome....

Thank you for all your years of service!!!

BTW.....

Claymore_5by5
Wow!! I wasn't expecting that quick of a response!

As for the questions:

I have six jack stands, two floor jacks, a MIG, compressor, and a good set of tools.

My ex tried to take my tools and pretty much everything else I had. Little did she know that I had proof of her having an affair while I was at Ft Leonard Wood being processed out for advanced arthritis in my hips and spine. It helped that the judge was retired Army also!! I am one of the few males to ever come out of Greene County divorce court getting alimony!!

So, to my ex, I say finger.gif

As far as the Claymore name goes, I was at a leadership school years ago (PLDC) and part of the course was to set up a defensive position. When the instructors came to my foxhole, they found I had set up my Claymore mines in a "non-standard" fashion. I had them in the trees at just above head height and angled downward with thier blast areas forming a crossfire. They asked me why I had not followed the guidelines about placement and I explained to them why my way was more effective and that the "book" had no imagination. After some discussion, they agreed and passed me for that section of the course. The instructors then started calling me SGT Claymore for the rest of the training cycle. My fellow students started doing the same. When I returned to my unit, I found out that my First Sergeant had called the academy to check on my progress and they had told him of the Claymore name and he started calling me that when I returned. It just sort of stuck after that.

I think I can post pictures now so here goes.........

Claymore_5by5
Nope, still no pictures. Any ideas, should I use something like PhotoBucket?
Grimstead
QUOTE (Claymore_5by5 @ Mar 22 2006, 03:46 PM)

You can load them directly to this site, they just need to be re-sized enough.

See if this helps,

Quick & Easy Way, to Resize Images (Win XP Only)

oh yeah....
welcome.png
joeav8tor
welcome to the club brother! nice find on the 2.0, there are plenty of knowledgeable and great people here to help you along the way...I am also a former Army guy...spent 10 years on active duty flying Chinook helicopters as a Warrant Officer...now I am in the Air National Guard flying Blackhawks...congrats on your retirement....enjoy yourself....no more deployments or field time for you...good luck and have fun with your 914...
flag.gif
Joe
SirAndy
QUOTE (Claymore_5by5 @ Mar 22 2006, 03:46 PM)

don't preview your posts if you have pictures attached. they'll be lost in space.
keep them under 300kb in filesize, 640 x 480 works good, JPG with medium compression (5) and 72 dpi resolution ...

check out the FAQ section ...
cool.gif Andy
Claymore_5by5
Got the Avatar working, now for the Photo!!

Claymore_5by5
Success!!! I'd been reviewing the post beforehand and that must have been the problem!!!

On with more Pics!!

SLITS
Uh Oh, it's purple...errr burgandy...errrr Aubergine....yeh, that's it Aubergine

wavey.gif Hi Rusty!

Nice car by the way
MecGen
Hey welcome.png

Mid life crisis's are underrated, you get to do a whole bunch of stupid stuff and get get to blame it on the "CRISIS" screwy.gif And as far as they go...new (to you) Porsche, garage full of tools, and single........
I'de say you did pretty good clap56.gif when you getting a Tattoo?
74 2.0l are probably the highest valued 4 cyl Porsche, you could double your money just by selling the motor.
You scored ! mueba.gif

+Karma from Canada
Later

beer.gif
Twystd1
Welcome to your new life.. Of rust and fun..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1
dinomium
yeah, what those guys said!
Claymore_5by5
Thanks, I don't know what to call that color. But I am pretty sure that's a butt-print in the dust on the front!!

The car belonged to a guy I knew at Ft Leonard Wood. He was discharged and went home to Phoenix with the plan that he'd drive back with a truck and trailer to bring it back. The plan didn't work out obviously, so he started calling guys that he knew liked the car and offering to sell it to them. I was the first one he called mueba.gif

He says a valve retainer has popped off, so the car only ran on three cyl. I heard the car run like that. Sounded real rough, but no metallic clattering, so I hope the vlave didn't get into the cyl. I haven't pulled the motor yet, so I'm not sure. But, for $500, you can't beat it!!!
Dr. Roger
you got THAT car for THAT price??? Awesome deal!

as for the little ex... 'eff 'er. There's more where she came from.

I've got the proof to back that up. laugh.gif

These people here are awesome BTW... smilie_pokal.gif
effutuo101
smilie_pokal.gif Nice! Good luck and welcome to our world.
Chris
JoeSharp
Robert: Welcome to the maaddness. Nice score on the car. I'm sure you aready know what you've found here. Nother nice score.So lifer, you you get retierment and alomoney. You playing the lotto? I wanna split tickets with you.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
vesnyder
Welcome aboard! Between this board, working on you car and driving it you won't have any time for a wife anyway wink.gif This place has given me confidence to attempt things I would have never tried otherwise. Have fun - and thanks for your service to the country - it's guys like you that make my lifestyle possible!
sherman1
Dude, $500 bucks - was that with, or without an engine... shocked[1].gif

jk - nice score, regardless!

Glad you go the P-Bucket figured out so's we can see that killer deal clap56.gif aktion035.gif

Cheers,
Ken

BigDBass

welcome.png

Nice car and great deal! I've only arrived at the non-club lately myself and I can tell you already that it's like nothing else I've ever encountered. This is one heck of a fun, funny, benevolent, generous, quirky, clever, wise, etc, etc, bunch of people! And everyone loves beer.gif. You're already hooked and you don't even know it.

aktion035.gif
Joseph Mills
Welcome Claymore!

I love that first pic. It has everything. biggrin.gif

Assuming the position on jackstands...

Oil spots on the floor underneath...

Trouble light warming the engine bay...

Good job... and good score on the teener.! rolleyes.gif
STL914
welcome.png

Hi Robert. Like the sign says, Welcome. This site is addictive and should have a warning label.

Where the hell in MO is Cleaver? How far are you from St. Louis?
drewvw

great deal....like the color
rick 918-S
welcome.png Aubergine = Awe-ber-jean One of the best colors! assimilate.gif
Rick L
welcome.png enough with the ar15.gif , time to switch tools sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif and don't forget beer3.gif . All that car, and noone to nag at ya...you're gonna have a blast (intentional pun). Thanx for your service and look forward to seeing you on the road.

p.s. No relation to Ft Leonard or his Wood! rolleyes.gif
Toast
wavey.gif

Welcome Robert!

That first picture post is perfect! Jackstands, hanging light, level, tools on the ground, and OIL SPOTS! laugh.gif

oops, Joseph Mills beat me to it. rolleyes.gif

Hope you get over your Army sickness soon, because you are going to get down with the 914 sickness. happy11.gif

Question:
How are the Longs, Hell Hole, and Battery tray area?
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Mar 22 2006, 05:55 PM)
w e l c o m e . . .

don't expect to think about too many other things.

don't expect to ever finish it.

have a good therapist on the off chance you can't log in.

you've been warned~

assimilate.gif

AMEN to what he said. It has hosed up my life and wallet firrr-sure, but I'm not complaining biggrin.gif

Anyways welcome to the board. Your car in combination with this group of well meaning but demented people will keep you entertained. A special treat is there are actually quite a few of us broken down, dilapidated vets here on the board. So we can talk shop and military-ese no problemo. Apologies on the Mrs leaving. If it will make you feel better, I hope the door hit her in the ass on the way out. ar15.gif

Welcome aboard...

welcome.png

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.