Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 pistons in a type 4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
topic explain's it all... can it be done? I know the answer is probably "no,dumbass of course not" but it doesn't hurt to ask right?!
Brad Roberts
Yep. I have two engines right now that have 98mm turbo 911 P+C's in them (Aluminum cylinders)

From Mahle...

B
Dave_Darling
Ain't nothing magical about Type IV pistons. Or 911 ones, for that matter. As long as the wrist pin hole is a reasonable size, and the wrist-pin-to-crown height is reasonable for your configuration, you can use Yugo pistons if you really like. I know of people who have used Chevy ones, for that matter. (Heck of a lot cheaper than Type IV or 911 pistons!)

The 911 cylinders, however... That's a whole lot more complex. You have to re-drill the holes for the head studs, you have to do some machining to the cylinder bottoms (I think), maybe more. Plus you get little dinky cooling fins so you get to re-do the cooling system to work better with those. Or you don't bother, and live with whatever you get...

--DD
tat2dphreak
I just didn't know if they had a hugely different wrist pin location/size... I guess I should have asked the more accurate/general question of what needs to be done to make other cars pistons work with our engines? thanks for the quick response guys!

do you know of any "direct swap" pistons? like a chebbie size that has a 24mm wrist pin? or am I just dreamin'? smile.gif
Brad Roberts
The wrist pin is always the issue. Raby uses Typ1 VW pisons on a different rod in his combos (cheaper to get type1 HP goodies and use them in the T4 than it is to buy T4 specific goodies)

B
tat2dphreak
yea, this is just one of those wild hairs of curiosity that I got up my butt! I HAD to ask and see if anyone had done this or if it was just a worthless idea! thanks for the help.

I knew about the type 1 pistons/rods... but I know that requires basically changing everything... rods, crank, and pistons...
J P Stein
AFAIK, the turbo pistons are the only flat tops.....and not cheep.
All the rest are domed for a hemispherical head. You'd play hell using them. The wrist pins would be the least of your problems.
Jake Raby
Brad is correct...I modified several of JE's TI pistons to get some awesome customs for the TIV.......I have even used some off the shelf TI pistons to make good clean power!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.