Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Super Cheep Paint Job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Sideways
Hey Guys.

Check out the following links. The first one is a forum about cheep paint jobs and a guy that painted his car with Tremclad (Rust-oleum in US) and high density foam rollers. cost him $50. (There are over 2- pages on this topic)

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showfl...=0&fpart=1&vc=1

The following link are some better photos of his charger and a Beetle he painted the same way in 2000.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin.../paint/?start=0

I cannot believe how good the paint looks.....
bondo
Hahaha, SHVVLP! (Super High Volume Very Low Pressure) biggrin.gif
lapuwali
The "trick", of course, is perfect surface prep, and hour after hour of color sanding.
Sideways
I think for an AX weapon or track car this is perfect and the right price.....My Labor. biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
That's pretty amazing..... I've rolled a primer filler on before. They even make a special roller for it.

Bob
marks914
Pretty cool! Theoretically, you can wetsand and polish anything and it will become high gloss, even rocks!

Mark
iamchappy
This is what I use on my wheel wells and undercarriage. I painted my lift with it also Rustoleum is amazing stuff and you can buy it at the Home Depot or any hardware store.
I was talking to my body shop buddies about it and he agreed that its one of the toughest paints out there.
Compounding is the secret to a perfect paint job, color sanding and buffing is the whole thing.
Hawktel
I'm going to try that on the jeep this summer.
Dr. Roger
Oh yes'!

Nice color options if your a CSOB like me. Funny I just came back from the store with a gloss black and a gloss white Rustoleum..... was thinking i'd do one fender of each and see what they look like. =-)

Rustoleums color options page is HERE.

Their dark purple isn't to shabby.... biggrin.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 23 2006, 09:20 PM)
Oh yes'!

Nice color options if your a CSOB like me.  Funny I just came back from the store with a gloss black and a gloss white Rustoleum.....  was thinking i'd do one fender of each and see what they look like.  =-)

Dr. Roger...
Check out paint code 7255...

DEEP PURPLE METALLIC... aktion035.gif
jim_hoyland
The local boat painters in the marina used to paint cars with marine enamal; one would roll it on , the other brush it out. Impossible to tell it wasn't sprayed !
Hoss
That paint thread from 69chargeryeehaa is a great read. It reminds me of the restoration thread that McMark posted about the Toyota LandCruiser. Tough not to read the entire thread even though it is a mile long.

Key is how close Sunburst Yellow 7747 actual comes to L11D, L11E, or L13K.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Mar 23 2006, 08:04 PM)
Oh yes'!

Nice color options if your a CSOB like me.  Funny I just came back from the store with a gloss black and a gloss white Rustoleum.....  was thinking i'd do one fender of each and see what they look like.  =-)

Dr. Roger...

andyrew, this might be too old school for you but have you ever heard of "Deep Purple" the band? hint: song "Smoke on the Water" every 70's boy who picked up the guitar learned those riffs.. LOL.

Deep Purple
Nice. idea.gif happy11.gif
user posted image
Sideways
QUOTE (Hoss @ Mar 23 2006, 08:24 PM)
That paint thread from 69chargeryeehaa is a great read. It reminds me of the restoration thread that McMark posted about the Toyota LandCruiser. Tough not to read the entire thread even though it is a mile long.

Key is how close Sunburst Yellow 7747 actual comes to L11D, L11E, or L13K.

This whole thing is a great read, its good to see someone try out the technique and then post the results and commentry.

For about $5 you can go the Home Depot etc and pick up a spray can of the Sunburst Yellow and compare it to L11D, L11E, or L13K. If it doesn't match, paint your shocks.... smile.gif
Sideways
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 23 2006, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Mar 23 2006, 08:04 PM)
Oh yes'!

Dr. Roger...

andyrew, this might be too old school for you but have you ever heard of "Deep Purple" the band? hint: song "Smoke on the Water" every 70's boy who picked up the guitar learned those riffs.. LOL.

Deep Purple
Nice. idea.gif happy11.gif
user posted image

Maybe they need to add "Black Sabath" or "Simpy Red" biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Mar 23 2006, 08:12 PM)
The local boat painters in the marina used to paint cars with marine enamal; one would roll it on , the other brush it out. Impossible to tell it wasn't sprayed !

Argh!! it's called "Roll and Tip" thar she blows! wink.gif

Roll and Tip painting
Andyrew
Dr. Rogger..

Deep purple is awesome!

smoke on water is my fav!
Mr.C
Here's my rustoleum paint job that cost me $30. I even tried color sanding and buffing a spot to see how it would look. It turned out pretty good. It's been over a year and a half and it still looks good. Bought a gallon from Wal-Mart and I think some Thinner or was it Acetone? I can't remember now. wacko.gif
zoomCat
Another possibility is tractor paint. I can get it around here in the midwest at Tractor Supply for less than $25 a gallon. Its an enamel and they also sell a hardner.

Tractor and Implement Paint

Gallons, quarts, and spray cans; 25 colors. Safety Yellow looks like a school bus, but John Deere green is kinda nice!

rolleyes.gif

jsteele22
Yeah, that Rustoleum is good stuff. A few years back I prepped and painted a tub in about a day or so for maybe $10.

A bath tub.
dstar
For best results to want to thin the hell out of it and apply
during a hot day.........

Anyone ever *color-sand* enamel?
ohmy.gif

Don
VaccaRabite
Wow, when I get around to painting, I almost can't afford not to try this out. At least on an extra panel to see how I like it.

Zach
Dead Air
I think there's a problem in his thread, You can't thin Acrylic enamel with with mineral spirits! dry.gif

Acrylics are water based.

I think he means "alkyd enamel"

Mueller
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Mar 24 2006, 10:02 AM)
I think there's a problem in his thread, You can't thin Acrylic enamel with with mineral spirits! dry.gif

Acrylics are water based.

I think he means "alkyd enamel"

yep, I just re-read the article....alkyd enamel was the correct stuff.......

great thread, I'm going to try this out for sure..........
marks914
That seems like alot of work, I paid $250 for this paint job at Macco. The one by my house does a pretty good job. Its all in the prep.
Mark
Mueller
QUOTE (marks914 @ Mar 24 2006, 05:45 PM)
That seems like alot of work, I paid $250 for this paint job at Macco. The one by my house does a pretty good job. Its all in the prep.
Mark

I couldn't find a shop (Macco included) that wouldn't charge less than $1500 even if I did all the prep work and supplied the paint.... headbang.gif

and no places that'll rent a booth.....
jonwatts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 24 2006, 04:58 PM)
and no places that'll rent a booth.....

That's the hook-up I've been looking for.

Also thought about painting it in a make-shift booth outside at work (what could they do, fire me?).

Now this is crazy option number 3 laugh.gif

I have a spare hood and door I'd be willing to try it on.

newto914s
marks914 a little more info on that Macco job, it looks great.
Did you do the prep and have them tape and spray? Their paints?
Detroit is not to far for me to go for a cheap paint job.
Samson
Andyrew
What about buying one of those "car tents" for 200 bucks, cutting a hole in it to put a fan on the top sucking, and a filter on the side to allow air in. Probably get out for 300 bucks...

3 people go in on it... pretty cheep..

Just a thought.

Andrew
MecGen
Hi

Just keep in mind, Tremclad reacts in all the wrong ways to real auto paint.
I had someone bring in a fully prepped old Jimmy. Shhhooot only special. Next day there was a perfect line, drawn across the body, everything below was cracked like a busted windshield... blink.gif Owner addmitted Tremclad was under his primer dry.gif I was always told non-automotive paints are best stripped, not covered or seeled, sounds like good advice.
I have seen role on jobs barf.gif , and they looked nothing like the pics. Might be an option for end of the line/last breath, thro away cars, but its a lot of work. confused24.gif

Later

beer.gif
914forme
Mueller - did you try a votech (vocational) school? At mine you supply the paint the students supply the labor, might be worth a shot. Takes time, You can also sign up for an adult body shop class. I did this and now I can go any Wednesday night and work on my car, use the booth, frame puller, alignment racks etc.... for free. YMMV, but he and I hit it off. Great resource to have. Only problem with this relationship is he is so anal I still paint at home confused24.gif

BTW, I think if you moved off the Cali coast to the Motor City, Michigan, or even Dayton, Ohio, you can get macho to paint a car for less than the $1500 you got quoted. I have a guy down the road that will paint anything I bring him for $500 cash and do the repair work and prep work also. Seems to be his price point, he can't refuse. He supplies all the materials, I have to supply the panels.

Got my auto-x miata redone this way. And best of all he will re-shot it after mishaps for little $$. For some reason I have had to have the right front fender replaced 3 times on that car. mad.gif

Still the cheapest auto-x car I have ever built, even with 3 new front fenders.
Katmanken
Mmmmmmmm........

Rustoleum........

Can you say fish oil for a rust retarder boys and girls?

Nothing else will stick to it... icon8.gif

I have seen a car painted with a roller. A little old couple across the street in Florida painted their AMC car with green metallic car paint and a roller. Gave the metalllic the most interesting texture. I have been tempted to try it on one of my cars, sand it smooth, and hit it with a coat of clear.

Ken
jsteele22

This is interesting info, and pretty near to my CSOB heart. But I think I'd have to agree that its probably only a good idea for "special" cars : end of life, GRM challenge, etc. If its a car that (we hope) is going to be around for years to come, Rustoleum sounds like a risky idea. Anybody who does auto painting seriously won't even paint on top of a different brand of auto paint (and warranty it) due to compatibility issues, and the previous post about crackling isn't much of a suprise.

But still, there's times when special methods are called for. I saw a really sweet paint job a few months back in the Safeway parking lot. It was a very carefully applied rattle-can job on a pristine (but unprepped) Chevy Citation. Color selection was key : a retina-scorching Lemon Yellow. Kudos.
newto914s
Paint compatability aside, if your only going to spend $50 on paint you can afford to stip it again, before you throw on the $600 paint.

I would be concerned about it's ability to protect. I want a coating that's going to keep the rust out. The better it does that, the more inclided I would be to put it on my car.

Also with out using primer and surfacer,like the guy discribes his jobs, you're sheet metal would need to be perfect.

Still, I'm going to try it this summer. What if it accualy works rocking nana.gif
Sideways
In the Tremclad line we have here in Canada they have an Automotive version of the paint. They also have 2 different Primers.

I am going to pick up some of the rattle can stuff this weekend and give it a quick go....I'll post the results.
Dr. Roger
well, i'm going for it.

this is on FG fenders. i did one coat yesterday and one today. i can already tell that spending time on prep is critical. LOL...

looks like it's going to all come off now.

by next week i should have a couple coats of primer and atleast one sand on her. then i'll try the paint again... =-)
Dr. Roger
my goal is to get something like this......

ohhhh lala.! wub.gif
Joe Ricard
I used to paint the deck cannons on the Aegis Destroyer with a roller like that. Sined up pretty good. Yea trick was surface prep. Every Gunners Mate on the water front hated us because they tried and tried to get that kinda shine.
Used to wash every saturday and wax every couple of months. Corrosion was not an issue anymore.
Captain wanted to paint the whole ship with the stuff. Uh no sir that would not be a good idea. Had to school him on IR seaking missiles. After that we got a satin finished top coat.
Sideways
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 25 2006, 05:28 PM)
well, i'm going for it.

this is on FG fenders. i did one coat yesterday and one today. i can already tell that spending time on prep is critical. LOL...

by next week i should have a couple coats of primer and atleast one sand on her. then i'll try the paint again... =-)

Keep us up to date... I'm still a little far off to try this yet....
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Sideways @ Mar 26 2006, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 25 2006, 05:28 PM)
well, i'm going for it.

this is on FG fenders.  i did one coat yesterday and one today.   i can already tell that spending time on prep is critical. LOL...

by next week i should have a couple coats of primer and atleast one sand on her.  then i'll try the paint again...  =-)

Keep us up to date... I'm still a little far off to try this yet....

had her outside yesterday installing the other fender and the neighbor came by. he said, "looks real good. great color".

i told him, "black is beautiful, baby"!

he laughed.

i just remembered my old maserati biturbo. black.
would attract dust and pollen like a magnet to iron.

two days ago, i was in the garage and the black fender was covered in dust but i hadn't been working in there at the time.... blink.gif unsure.gif dry.gif

i'll keep y'all updated. thanks.

roger
Andyrew
Rogger, what color you going, black?

If you do.. then I have to go orange... you know that right? Our cars would look to much alike..
Dr. Roger
i'm not REALLY going black..... too impractical. not flashy enough.

plus i want to take my artist buddy up on his offer to spray my car.

we're going to discuss options but i'm afraid i'm going to get one of those mcmark graffitti jobs... LOL kidding....

actually there are two colors i really like and need to research more.

one is kinda' like a california poppy. only a pearlescent orangish color.

the other is a pearl diamond white with racing lines or something different to accent....

who knows? next week it'll be purple with monkey butts on the sail panels... biggrin.gif
D1A3
Roll on paint?

Do you guys really think that Challenger and Bug look that good? They look to me like an old enamel paint job that faded and was polished out using Nu-Finish.

Pictures lie a 1000 times over and ALWAYS look better than the real thing. I think I would go to one of those back-alley shops I see around or MAACO before going to the effort to roll paint on the car, hate it and then have to start over.

Hell, I have a hard enough time rolling paint on the wall without getting it where it does'nt belong!
Mr.C
QUOTE (D1A3 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:04 PM)
Roll on paint?

Do you guys really think that Challenger and Bug look that good? They look to me like an old enamel paint job that faded and was polished out using Nu-Finish.

Pictures lie a 1000 times over and ALWAYS look better than the real thing. I think I would go to one of those back-alley shops I see around or MAACO before going to the effort to roll paint on the car, hate it and then have to start over.

Hell, I have a hard enough time rolling paint on the wall without getting it where it does'nt belong!

The bug wasn't a roll on job. I am a little more upper class than that. Did it with a Harbor Freight compressor on a dirt driveway, with a $12.00 gun. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (D1A3 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:04 PM)
Roll on paint?  

Do you guys really think that Challenger and Bug look that good?  They look to me like an old enamel paint job that faded and was polished out using Nu-Finish.

Pictures lie a 1000 times over and ALWAYS look better than the real thing.  I think I would go to one of those back-alley shops I see around or MAACO before going to the effort to roll paint on the car, hate it and then have to start over.  

Did you open the link and read the 20+ pages of the thread?

Seems like the guy is on to something and others have seen it or done it and agree with him.
URY914
These are shots of his car. Not bad I'd say.

URY914
It is a hell of a lot better than the cheap spray job I did on my car.

Eric_Shea
Sorry Paul... that looks pretty bad to me. huh.gif

Like the previous post... if it looks that bad in pictures, imagine what it looks like in person.

914's are quickly becoming the next classic Porsche. I wouldn't condone that type of behavior. Maybe it's an alternative for a race car... confused24.gif
URY914
I agree it dosen't stack up against a $2000 spray job. But for $50 bucks a guy can get a fair/good finish w/o having to buy/rent a compressor, gun, build a booth, clean up, etc, etc,etc...

And it would be perfect for a race car. I would have tried it if I had known about two months ago. It may not be for everyone but the cheap SOBs here may want to give it a try. cool_shades.gif

Paul
jonwatts
I like it for a race car or semi-gloss rat rod instead of flat black.

Roger, I don't know if you'd be able to get that kind of shine, but with enough sanding who knows?

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.