Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
OK, so it's been two weeks since the car was color sanded. how long should i wait until i wax it? the Los Panchos guys said i could wax right away.

any reason i should wait?
Brett W
You should wait 3 months if it is a base clear finish. You want to give the paint plenty of time to harden and cure out. The Solvents in the lower levels of the paint must cure before the paint will full harden.
JB 914
it's a midnight blue pearl metallic with clear coat.
Brett W
Wait three months. Then use a soft fine Carnuba wax. Something organic.
DonTraver
Most paints today use a catylist (sp). When I painted my 6, I waited a week before color sanding, buffing, and waxing. I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. Painted the car 4-5 years ago.

If you want to be really sure. There should be a 800 number on the paint can in the instructions, try calling it and talk to the people that make the paint, if anyone would know, they would.

I do remember when I was a kid, there was a 3 month rule about waxing new paint, think they've come a long way since then, lol.

Good Luck, Don

914-8
no way would I wax after only 2 weeks.

It's ok to colorsand, and use paintable polishes, though.

Me personally? All paints are different, but as a rule of thumb, I'd wait 3 months before waxing.

What's the hurry?
Howard
Clearcoat? I have never 'waxed' Suzi. Got hooked on that Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

Wipe on and off, no white residue. Instructions 'It's time to rewax when detailer is slow to wipe off'. 1 1/2 years later, not there yet.
JB 914
QUOTE (914-8 @ Mar 25 2006, 09:59 AM)
no way would I wax after only 2 weeks.

It's ok to colorsand, and use paintable polishes, though.

Me personally? All paints are different, but as a rule of thumb, I'd wait 3 months before waxing.

What's the hurry?

No hurry, i just want it to be protected as quickly as possible. I got a new cover for it and it will get put in the garage today. I'll wait 3 months
Lou W
Hey Joe, Are you going to post a picture with your new paint job? smile.gif
effutuo101
If you can afford the time, don't put a cover on it as the paint will be soft for a few more weeks. The nice thing about living in the desert ( ok, concrete jungle ) is that your garage should be pretty warm and that will help. I used a dust mop to get the dust off of my car after I painted it. That way, it always looked nice and I didn't have to worry about a cover.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 25 2006, 10:41 AM)
Hey Joe, Are you going to post a picture with your new paint job? smile.gif

agree.gif owned.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.