Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calif. junk car law
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e

if a car has been listed as nonrepairable is there anyway to get this changed?

anyone ever done this?

can a car be reactivated in another state?

George
boxstr
I tried this in Oregon with a Miata from Fremont Calif. It was missing a fender and front bumper, thats it. Car drove and ran fine.
Oregon DMV Manual reads, any car from out of state with a nonrepairable certificate or one that reads, junk,scrap,etc. will no be titled in Oregon. Same thing holds true for Washington.
CCLINGOODLUCK
Twystd1
Don't take this as gospel...

My understanding is that once a Cali car has been pronounced

"Salvage title".

It cannot ever be made non-salvage title.

The DMV uses the VIN# to follow the ownership path...

Even if it is registered out of state and brought back in with the same Vin#

AND: There are many states that have resiprosity with the Cali DMV. Therefore they also see the Salvage Title and register it as a Salvage car.

I have no clue what states they are.

Regards,

Clayton
G e o r g e
Thats what i assumed . that means 4732918896 can be placed in the dead list........ sad.gif

thanks for the replys ,George
boxstr
Please note I did not refer to anything in regards to "salvage title".
Cars that are purchased from some dealers or auctions come with a salvage title, they can then be retilted, but they may be a salvage title.
Personally I see nothing wrong with a salvage title car. If you are going to drive the car until there is no value left, then drive a salvage title car, initially your cost is less.
If you are buying to resale for a profit, you may want to think twice.
CCL
G e o r g e
i understand about salvage title a little, thats why i did not mention it. car is list junk non repairable.

George
McMark
Salvage title really only affects your ability to get full coverage insurance. You can still register and driver a salvage title car in CA. No reason to toss a good car simply because of a salvage title. I believe that if you let the registration laps for 7 years it will fall out of the system and can then be reregistered. Of course, now they are actively pursuing registration fees. So you can't just stop paying. sad.gif
silversprint
Depends how long the car has been out of the DMV computer. Just go to the DMV and try to register the car. Really got nothing to loose. Because 914 are such old cars they get lost in the vast pool of DMV paper work. I have seen several junked title porsche put back on the road.

You may be able to register it as a salvaged title car. A salvaged car can be title and driven.

G e o r g e
McMark Posted on Mar 24 2006, 10:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salvage title really only affects your ability to get full coverage insurance. You can still register and driver a salvage title car in CA. No reason to toss a good car simply because of a salvage title. I believe that if you let the registration laps for 7 years it will fall out of the system and can then be reregistered. Of course, now they are actively pursuing registration fees. So you can't just stop paying.  

mark i understand that for salvage titled cars, this one the dmv told me was listed as junk. to bad too because theres only damage on 1 qtr panel and rot at battery area and a 2" hole thru fire wall. long apprears solid.

George
McMark
Here, it is possible.
G e o r g e
McMark Posted on Mar 24 2006, 11:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here, it is possible

thanks for coming up with that. George
Joe Bob
Never heard of a CALIFORNIA title with "not repairable"....salvaged and junked, yes.....

If the car is in good shape it should be able to be revivied under a salvaged title.
Dead Air
QUOTE (maddeye @ Mar 24 2006, 10:33 PM)
Thats what i assumed . that means 4732918896 can be placed in the dead list........ sad.gif

thanks for the replys ,George

[QUOTE] ohmy.gif

NNnoooooo!
How can this be? Everything is "repairable"

drew365
We have a company truck that was involved in a fire. The insurance company totalled it but we bought it back and repaired it. They told me they would insure it with a salvage title but not if they had deemed it to be junk. We haven't done all the paperwork yet but that's what I was told.
boxstr
The Miata came with a Nonrepairable "CERTIFICATE" not a title.
CCL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.