Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talk me outta of this Entering the dark side!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
Okay I was out bone yarding today. Found some neat stuff for the 914.

Picked up a set of 911 rear parking brakes both sides $50 all the parts.

Check on a 944 rear hatch for a guy on the club, it still there and good shape.

Walking around the rest of the foreign car area, I start talking to one of guys I know. He leads me over to a Subaru XT, car is beat to hell. But he says yeah it runs, but like crap. Won't idle worth _____ etc.....

So I pop the hood and take a look, oil cap is missing, look around, yep it is the L-jet version of the engine - Subaru copy of it. I put my hand on the oil fill, tell him to crank it over it purrs like a kitten. When he gets out, I take my hand off the cap, it dies, but at least my secret isn't out. I hang out and screw around with it. Decided if the price is right I am going to pick it up. I go in talk to the owner, like always, flash some cash, pay for my 911 parts. We talk a little more about the sub, long story short, I got anything I want off the car for $250. He is even towing it out to my shop.

I also scored a Volvo Turbo Intercooler - and oil cooler, probably paid to much for this item, but they are both huge, and very well built.

So my plan is to drop the engine, tranny and half shafts out of the XT, get all the computer controls,EFI etc..... Cooling system parts, fans, shifter parts, mounts off the frame etc.... The idea is to build the conversion on a cradle and put it into a 914. It might be my 914-4 it won't be my 914-6 or I might just pickup a new chassis to do this with. I want to have everything included and all placed into the engine compartment. I will be using the subaru tranny and CVs and slice the half shafts together.

I will have the conversion done for less than $1000 bucks. With a few more parts I will have an easy 175 HP. It will be a great street car, and fun at the auto-x. I run NASA auto-x so I don't have to worry to much, I will be running with a bunch of BMW M-3 E36s, etc.... With the mods I have done to the -4 so far I am running with 240sxs, Miatas, etc... So Its not like PCA, POC, or SCCA. But the for this conversion I will be placed into the class where the subaru XT i placed. Then add the points for all the mods, an 1000 pounds lighter chassis.

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I don't want to cut up the car to do this conversion, if I do, I will do it in a way I can return it to original if I choose to. Don't worry about resale, I won't sell my 914s.

But I do want to know what problems I might run into here.
bd1308
oooo...

and i can take all of your old not-good aircooled stuff cool_shades.gif

only you and I know how to transport a teener engine in a teener.

b
914forme
lol

I am planing on storing some of it. But I amgetting ready to post a bunch of it up here, got to make up a little funding for the toy box.

Just notice the tag for the Blugrass Classic got details?

Stephen
bd1308
what kind of details? ph34r.gif

i'm going to work on the site tomorrow, and actually open it up. It'll be cool. So will teh actaul event. The site has a placeholder up rigth now, but it lists some general information about the event.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.