Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove broken studs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlatSix
I've recently purchased a 1.7 engine. Today I tried to attach the engine mount bar but found BOTH holes filled up with a broken off stud!!! ohmy.gif

How can I remove the old bolts?

Joe Bob
You either drill them out....have them drilled by someone or try EDM. Electro Deposition....high intensity electricity that burns them out.

In the US there are onsite services that come to you. Don't know about "over there"....good luck.
Aaron Cox
drill a pilot hole....

then you can use an EZ out.....

or... get a left handed drill bit and try that....

if it sucks....

drill it out and helicoil it....
FlatSix
Thanks for those suggestions. I think I'll try to obtain some left handed drill bits and see where that takes me.
KELTY360
Patience is the key using EZ outs. It is very important to locate your pilot in the CENTER of the stud. Start with a center punch to mark your target. A series of 2 or 3 pilot holes increasing in diameter is safer than just drilling one at the final size. Once you've got the desired size for the EZ out, carefully twist it into the hole until the stud moves. Do not put too much force on it because if it breaks it's almost impossible to drill out. If the stud doesn't move try drilling a larger hole and using a larger EZ out. If you've been careful to center your pilot hole you may ultimately drill out the stud almost to the threads when it becomes easy to remove. Go slow and good luck.

Marc
Trekkor
You might try welding a nut onto the broken stud.
Hold it over the center, plug weld it on.

The heat of the welding might help loosen the stud.

Be careful. welder.gif

KT
Trekkor
The heat from welding will melt any Loctite that may have been used, too.

KT
Joe Bob
What pisses me off about studs, especially M8 exhaust ones....you NEVER know when it's just a tight nut or the stud is gonna give up the ghost immediately......now I just assume it's gonna bust and hit it with PB Blaster before I tackle much of anything anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.