Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheap shift light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I have been thinking about putting a shift light in my teener for AX and the track. I saw a number of cheap shift lights on ebay cheap shift light but I don't know if they would work on my 2.0L 4. It has a 050 distributor. Does anyone know?

Any recommendations without replacing the existing tach?

Thanks,
Mike
ejm
Working link

If I read that correctly it needs to be hooked up to a tach with adjustable shift points to work.
grasshopper
sorry...kind of a slight hijack hijacked.gif but I was wondering how they worked too.... could someone explain how they are connected, and what you need for them to work correctly?? Thanks In advance wink.gif
Jeroen
looks like all you get in this auction is the actuall light, not the electronics to trigger it...
mikelsr
QUOTE (ejm @ Mar 25 2006, 06:07 PM)
Working link

Thanks for fixing the link (I should have tested it)

If I read that correctly it needs to be hooked up to a tach with adjustable shift points to work.

Thanks. Guess I need to find the complete system.

I did find a standalone unit but I don't know if it will work with a teener. Guess I need to call them on Monday.
stand alone unit (and I checked this url)

Thanks,
M
Aaron Cox
most need to be built into a tach (ala autometer) or fired off a CDI style ignition (with rev outputs...)
mikelsr
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 25 2006, 07:35 PM)
sorry...kind of a slight hijack hijacked.gif but I was wondering how they worked too.... could someone explain how they are connected, and what you need for them to work correctly?? Thanks In advance wink.gif

From my understanding there are a couple types of units. One works with a tach which has the ability to select an RPM and when it is reached it provides a signal (trigger) for the light to go on and off. So if you want to shift at 5600 RPM, you set it up that way and the light will come on as a reminder to shift (this assumes that it comes with a light or you purchase one). Once below that RPM the light would go off.

Another type is self-contained (like I thought the first post was) like the other post above from me. The electronics are contained in the unit itself, you just need to connect it to your system and select the RPM.

If I am wrong on this, someone out there will straighten me out. smile.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.